Help Me Choose: Golf Unfiltered's Bag for 2020

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
For those that listened to our One Length Challenge Podcast talking about both the technology and the myths about OL, you knew there was a wager made. If you missed it, you can catch it here.

We then sent out a set of Cobra KING F9 OL irons to THPer @time4tim and he was to put them in play for 5 rounds as well as work with them on the range. While the journey went quickly, it had his thoughts and reviews and yesterday his decision was made. He would be sticking with One Length.

The wager that @golfunfiltered and I made was I predicted that after this time, our tester would stick with the irons, he said no chance. The winner got to choose the loser's clubs for the entirety of the 2020 golf year. Once again I was proven right :ROFLMAO:

So help me THPers, give me your guidance on what should go in his bag? Here is the info that is needed to help make the decision. Currently he plays a combo set of Srixon Z-785 and Z-Forged. RTX-4 Wedges. Blade Putter. Srixon Z-785 Driver with UST Mamiya shaft. To start with, we will keep him in the Cleveland/Srixon/XXIO family and the UST Mamiya family. We also don't want to just pick ill fitting stuff, so he quits golf.

So help me out here. Looking at Cleveland/Srixon/XXIO gear, give us the bag driver through putter that you think we should put him in for the year.

HB Turbo driver, fairway woods, Halo hybrid, Turbo irons, CBX2 wedges, Frontline Elevado putter.

Srixon 785 Driver
Cleveland Launcher HB 3W
Srixon H85 3 hybrid
Srixon U85 4-6
Srixon 785 7-PW
Cleveland RTX-4 50-54-58
Cleveland Frontline Cero

HB Turbo driver, fairway woods, Halo hybrid, Turbo irons, CBX2 wedges, Frontline Elevado putter.

I second this suggested makeup. I’m not certain if the shaft options are in line with what JB is thinking. But, I would play with those clubs in my bag.

Something like this so we can hear him tall about a bag full of GI.

I think you’ve got to go XXIO somewhere in the bag. The man can’t choose his bag, at least let him do it in style. Spin might be an issue in the woods, since he’s got the 785 driver and that’s a low spin monster. But I bet with some help from UST in getting the iron shafts set I bet the irons could be really good.

I think you’ve got to go XXIO somewhere in the bag. The man can’t choose his bag, at least let him do it in style. Spin might be an issue in the woods, since he’s got the 785 driver and that’s a low spin monster. But I bet with some help from UST in getting the iron shafts set I bet the irons could be really good.

There are some good points in here. I like an XXIO driver and some HB turbo irons for him. Mallet putter obviously so he gets some MOI help.

cg15-jr-i1.jpg

I’m not familiar enough with most of the equipment but I’ll put in an iron opinion.

King Forged Tech One Length.

He's got a "players bag" right now, maybe dial it back to GI to see how it works for him.

Driver Cleveland HB Turbo
Woods Cleveland HB turbo 3w
Hybrid halo 3hy
Irons srixon Z utility + 585 combo set 4-pw
Wedges cbx2 50*, 54* rtx4 58*
Putter Cleveland frontline elevado

Can I have a few weeks to think about it?

I’m not familiar enough with most of the equipment but I’ll put in an iron opinion.

King Forged Tech One Length.

Check out that first post, those do not qualify.

Can I have a few weeks to think about it?

No, I have to get the order in.

XXIO X series driver, woods and hybrid
Cleveland Launcher UHX irons
Cleveland CBX2 wedges
Cleveland HB #1 putter

XXIO X series driver, woods and hybrid
Cleveland Launcher UHX irons
Cleveland CBX2 wedges
Cleveland HB #1 putter
You’re entirely too nice.

Although. We could go HB turbos in the 4,5,6 spot then the UHXs in the lower irons. CBX 2 are a given.

This to a T. I might say he should get that hybrid in the 4i spot to begin with, cause he likely has no business hitting a 4i or longer :)

Does Mrs @golfunfiltered have any opinions? She’s usually got a good hot take.

I like the combo set of Launcher Turbo/UHX that was mentioned yesterday. Put him in the Z585 Driver, XXIO FW and Hybrid, Cleveland CBX 2 wedges and a Frontline Mallet putter. Should be a scratch with that setup.

Well I say don't take away all the man's toys... Lets go full internet golfer order on him...the ultimate combo set with a little of everything haha

Srixon 785 Driver
XXIO Prime Driver #2 at 3w length
Srixon ZU85 utility 18*
Launcher HB Turbo Irons 4-6
Launcher UHX 7-9
Launcher CBX PW-GW
RTX 4 Tour Raw-54*
Smart Sole 3S wedge 58*
Frontline 4.0 Putter (Have to have a blade with this setup :cool:)

Well I say don't take away all the man's toys... Lets go full internet golfer order on him...the ultimate combo set with a little of everything haha

Srixon 785 Driver
XXIO Prime Driver #2 at 3w length
Srixon ZU85 utility 18*
Launcher HB Turbo Irons 4-6
Launcher UHX 7-9
Launcher CBX PW-GW
RTX 4 Tour Raw-54*
Smart Sole 3S wedge 58*
This isn’t a bad bag at all.

Check out that first post, those do not qualify.

No, I have to get the order in.
Told ya I know little about these line ups. :ROFLMAO: Guess I’ll leave this one to those that do.

I think I remember watching his driver fitting at Club Champion. I dont want to mess too much up going on with his bag. Shafts I think he should stick with what he is comfortable with but just slightly softer.

Driver: z585 lowest loft model
3 wood: zf85
Hybrid: 3 zH85
Utility: 3 zU85
Irons: 5-P z585
Wedges: 48*, 54*, 58* RTX4 (or whatever works for the loft progression for the z585 pitching wedge)
Putter: Frontline Blade Putter

I think staying similar to what he has just moving into a GI line that is similar would be interesting to see if his scores are better with the bit more forgiveness without changing the look too much.

I thought for sure that One Length's would be the only Iron option.

I get that you don't want to make golf unenjoyable for him, but you could've changed his mind on them.

I like that the contest was an experiment. Same should apply here. I can get behind the idea of Launcher HB Turbo irons with CBX2 wedges. Recoil shafts that are best fit. Keep the top of the bag as he would play it.

Going from players clubs to these GI/SGI irons and wedges would be very interesting. As a mid cap looking to drop into single digits, I tend to avoid these types of clubs. Is that a mistake on my part? Mr. Unfiltered’s experience would be fun to follow.

Back