Callaway Super Hybrid

Did you have a different shaft put in or did you stick with the Stock Orange?

didn’t test any other shafts. gerritt liked me in the stock orange.

I’m skimming here like a mofo and don’t care haha, what happened does it fill for you in the bag distance wise?

skim away my dude! it’s meant to cover 200-210 for me. so 5i will be around 190-195, super 200-210*, 5w 220-230. pretty perfect gapping.

*we had a par 3 on the clive, number 15 iirc. it was playing long af, 215-220 from memory. i hit a little wiper with the super, but did catch it in the sweet spot. right portion of the green, pin high. so off the tee this thing is a freaking weapon, but off the deck it’s no slouch either.

Well it did not make it into my bag. Just didn’t give me any more and I rarely hit it straight. :( So I got a new driver which I was about 20 yards longer then my Rogue. :p

20191214_152548.jpg

I was able to hit my 20* Super Hybrid on the trackman today. I have been struggling lately off the tee and this thing is just what I need to stay out of trouble on tight holes. It is a big hybrid so I would not be digging balls out of the tall stuff with this club. It works just fine for light rough and I love it from a fluffy lie. I may not hit it this good every time but the distance is real even on less than perfect shots. This is the 20* with the stock 80 gram Tensei Orange in the neutral setting. I typically do not get along with lower lofted hybrids but the 17* would be filthy long.

View attachment 8919083

I was able to hit my 20* Super Hybrid on the trackman today. I have been struggling lately off the tee and this thing is just what I need to stay out of trouble on tight holes. It is a big hybrid so I would not be digging balls out of the tall stuff with this club. It works just fine for light rough and I love it from a fluffy lie. I may not hit it this good every time but the distance is real even on less than perfect shots. This is the 20* with the stock 80 gram Tensei Orange in the neutral setting. I typically do not get along with lower lofted hybrids but the 17* would be filthy long.
Killing that thing Dan!!

Does anyone have any comparison numbers between the Epic Flash 4h and the 20* Super Hybrid?

Does anyone have any comparison numbers between the Epic Flash 4h and the 20* Super Hybrid?
This is a reason I want to get my hands on one, id love to compare it to the Flash I reviewed for the homepage

Just curious... Is this how you feel about a 5 wood, that it is only useful for you from even lies or as a tee option? To me, this club is more versatile than a 5 wood.

It depends on the 5w.
My last (5) 5w 's that I have bagged:
Tour Edge Trilogy & Xrail - These I would have no issue hitting off an uneven lie or from the rough as it has a more compact head and a v type sole.
Ping G400 SFT, G SFT and K15 - Those all have a larger footprint and shallow face and for me were a challenge to hit off of bad lies and from thicker rough.

Just curious... Is this how you feel about a 5 wood, that it is only useful for you from even lies or as a tee option? To me, this club is more versatile than a 5 wood.

I think the key is that this club is not truly an iron replacement for most who will use it. Rather, it is a fw replacement club.

Standard 5-wood shaft length these days seems to 42.5"., and with a relatively large head as well. I know for me it is very challenging to strike this combination solid unless the ball is on a tee box or other level lie.
I definitely agree that a 40" long shaft length hybrid should be much more versatile (playable off sloped or other less than ideal lies) than a modern day 5-wood.

Standard 5-wood shaft length these days seems to 42.5"., and with a relatively large head as well. I know for me it is very challenging to strike this combination solid unless the ball is on a tee box or other level lie.
I definitely agree that a 40" long shaft length hybrid should be much more versatile (playable off sloped or other less than ideal lies) than a modern day 5-wood.

I agree there on the shaft length.
Usually for a FW to function properly for me I need it to be 41.5" at its longest and I still tend to hit bad ones more often than I would like.
So normally I use a 3h as my longest down club which mine is built to 20* and 39.5". I have hit the 20* Super Hybrid off the mat and with the larger head the 40.5" or so shaft length wasn't a problem for the most part. Best part is I tend to get hooky with a 5w or my current 3h and the Super Hybrid was extremely difficult to turn over and I typically hit a draw with every shot. I had to really crank the face closed at address to hit any kind of a baby draw with it. This is what really has me stoked about it.

I know many people loved the G410 hybrid as being more neutral biased with the flat lie setting but I could still hook those with the best of em.

This was the one club that the fitter did not like for me at my Grandaddy fitting. We hit maybe 10 shots with it, and then he handed me a Epic Flash 4H and it worked much better and gave us the results we where looking for.
It is a very nice looking club at address and feels good, but I couldn't argue with the fitter on this one and got the correct club in it's place.
This club will definitely work for a lot of people.

This is a reason I want to get my hands on one, id love to compare it to the Flash I reviewed for the homepage

I have tried both side by side with the same shaft. They are not too different numbers wise, but I found the super to be the least hook biased of the two. Which in many ways is strange as it is the bigger of the two. From what I understand that is by design. I did hit the super a touch further with about 200'ish less rev's of spin.

I have tried both side by side with the same shaft. They are not too different numbers wise, but I found the super to be the least hook biased of the two. Which in many ways is strange as it is the bigger of the two. From what I understand that is by design. I did hit the super a touch further with about 200'ish less rev's of spin.

Side by side with same shaft is helpful information, thanks.

Side by side with same shaft is helpful information, thanks.

It was the Mitsubishi Orange as well. I left that out. Apologies.

Large doesn't mean hooks or draw biased right? It can actually mean more space to design fade bias in.

Large doesn't mean hooks or draw biased right? It can actually mean more space to design fade bias in.

Correct, but in terms of golf. "Generally" larger means more forgiving, more towards higher handicap more hook bias ETC. It does not have to be that way. I am speaking to stereotypes, and this does not fit those stereotypes.

Correct, but in terms of golf. "Generally" larger means more forgiving, more towards higher handicap. ETC. I am speaking to stereotypes, and this does not fit those stereotypes.

Gotcha. I genuinely haven't noticed that with hybrids and metal woods, but I get it for sure.

With regards to the super hybrid, do you think these would be troublesome using out of the rough because of the larger head? Is it then necessary to keep a 4i or 5i for such situations to use out of the rough?

Ultimately cancelled my order today, just can't justify waiting a quarter of a year for the club. I'll wait till they get back in stock then look to see if I need it in the bag...

With regards to the super hybrid, do you think these would be troublesome using out of the rough because of the larger head? Is it then necessary to keep a 4i or 5i for such situations to use out of the rough?

I guess it would depend on the rough you trying to hit it out of. But, in my opinion I could see that being a bit problematic.

Im giving up on the Epic Forged 4i already. Golf Galaxy is gonna let me return it and im leaning towards this. Havent played a hybrid in years but im starting to realize a utility iron just isn't necessary. Fun to hit but quite limited

I read somewhere the super hybrid was fade biased and thats actually what I saw. I was surprised it sets up slightly open. Ive always stayed away from hybrids b/c I hook the crap out of them.

lol.. I just saw that at the top now!! I hit this the other day but thought it was on a review somewhere. Or maybe earlier in this thread. I dunno

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
i hit this a few times yesterday. i do find that it can get through the rough, maybe not as well as some smaller hybrids but still plenty fine. out of the heel it seems to lose a good bit of distance, but slightly toe side this thing is a freaking rocket launcher. i am really enjoying it! the confidence to make an aggressive swing without fear of the left miss is something really special about this club.

those of you who have this already, do you find it lower launching?? or is it pretty standard mid-high like most hybrids are designed to do??

those of you who have this already, do you find it lower launching?? or is it pretty standard mid-high like most hybrids are designed to do??

It's pretty low launching. A number of the more recent hybrids can be due to their low spin nature.

Back