best feeling iron shaft

C-Taper Lite's are very good. they dont have the super stout/boardy feeling of regular C-Taper

Nippon modus 120 are very smooth as most have mentioned, but they dont work for me so I just dont like them

i know feeling is a subjective thing but, what steel iron shafts are lauded as being some of the best feeling shafts you can play? For example, i believe i have read that in the kbs line, c-tapers are the least appreciated in their line as feeling good.

Steel -- Nippon

Graphite - that's a crapshoot - do you want more feel or just a great shaft - I've played Recoil 95, Aerotech, Mitsubishi OT, Accra i80 -- for overall feel/liveliness - I like Accra - for me.

I think it largely depends on swingspeed and tempo. At one point I always like Project X 6.0 when I was stronger with more SS. Now that feels like hitting a ball with a stick. Now a softer shaft feels much better to me when it used to feel like a noodle.

Steel -- Nippon

Graphite - that's a crapshoot - do you want more feel or just a great shaft - I've played Recoil 95, Aerotech, Mitsubishi OT, Accra i80 -- for overall feel/liveliness - I like Accra - for me.

I am working on a swing change. To say that my transition was/is really abrupt might be understatement. I am slowing my takeaway, completing my turn, concentrating on a smooth, powerful delivery. Concentrating on smooth as opposed to concentrating on crushing the ball. Currently i play either recoil 780es or dg s400 amt tour white. Why so different a shaft? Well it depends if I am playing the cf16 or adams cmb. Between the 2 shafts, i prefer the s400. That being said, I think no to graphite. I am between amt tour white s300, project x lz 5.5, nippon modus 105, or c-tapers.

Steel shaft, Nippon Modus all day for me. I've played the 105s and game the 120s currently. I've always been a KBS fan as well, but I know they're not as popular in the feel category for some.

My current gamer shafts are Recoils and they are butttttah

I am working on a swing change. To say that my transition was/is really abrupt might be understatement. I am slowing my takeaway, completing my turn, concentrating on a smooth, powerful delivery. Concentrating on smooth as opposed to concentrating on crushing the ball. Currently i play either recoil 780es or dg s400 amt tour white. Why so different a shaft? Well it depends if I am playing the cf16 or adams cmb. Between the 2 shafts, i prefer the s400. That being said, I think no to graphite. I am between amt tour white s300, project x lz 5.5, nippon modus 105, or c-tapers.
Those are what I have.

Steel - Nippon
Graphite - Mitsubishi MMT Taper Tip

Feel is so subjective it is really hard to say what is best for someone else. I like the $ tapers many others do not.

Another vote for the Nippon Modus 3. Just wish I had the 120 or 125 vs the 105 that I have now.

Steel- KBS Tour 90. Very smooth. But you may have to tone down an aggressive swing with them.
Graphite- Recoils. I may be a convert to them this coming season. Very nice feel.

I was just fit into the KBS $Tapers and absolutely love them. I’m also high on True Tempers Dynamic Gold series.

Seems like the KBS Tours are pretty universally enjoyed for their feel, and I get why. I lean towards a little less feel though, and I actually like the C-tapers. They seem to agree with my quick tempo more. The $-tapers I'm playing now are supposed to be kind of between the two, but they feel pretty much like the Tours to me. Which is okay for me, probably good for a lot.

Last edited:
Steel- KBS Tour 90. Very smooth. But you may have to tone down an aggressive swing with them.
Graphite- Recoils. I may be a convert to them this coming season. Very nice feel.

Took me about 3 months to get the hang of the KBS tour 90's coming from a full weight shaft. That is now several years behind me and my swing improves every quarter and as it does I appreciate this shaft more. I'm playing the stiff but does not feel like a stiff shaft to me. I'm hitting a 9i about 140 yards for reference

KBS Tours for me

I'm a fan of the Elevate Tour shaft if going steel.

Another vote for Nippon Modus 105 here. I also liked the Elevate Pro iron shafts.

No decision yet....funny, i golf with gregm and the_dude, both members here, at least weekly. Little that i knew, greg plays project x lz 5.5 and dude plays modus 105. 2 of the 3 on my list, lol. So i can play both of theirs next time we meet.

Nippons will definitely be up there in terms of feel. A lot of folks playing Nippons will attest to it. I'm liking the $-Tapers personally.
How do the $ tapers play to flex? What would you compare the stiffness to?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

How do the $ tapers play to flex? What would you compare the stiffness to?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I would say true to flex but I think that's subjective in terms of "feeling" stiff. They don't feel as loose as some shafts for sure. If I had to choose, I'd say they feel/play similar stiffness as the KBS tours which I think was the goal for this shaft (w/ lower spin). Definitely a shaft you want to try especially if you aren't familiar.

KBS Tour 90’s are a great feeling shaft, KBS Tour not bad either. The FST 90 is really good, probably just a cheaper version of the KBS Tour 90. Didn’t much care for the C-Taper or C-Taper Lite. The old Project X PX 95 was a good shaft, really miss that one.

I also find the KBS Tour 90's to be a perfect Fit.

But the Aerotech Steelfiber i80 Stiff are just like "Butter"

Smooth and precise.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Recoils. Hands down.

The two shafts I've like the most so far are the KBS Tour 130x, and the PX LZ 6.5. One of these days I'll try a set of Recoil 125 F5's.

Back