Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Just picked one of these up from Budget for a great price! Didn't really need it but the price was so good that I will play with some shaft combos and see what I come up with.
I have resisted doing the same for almost a week now, but I don't know if I can hold out much longer.

Just picked one of these up from Budget for a great price! Didn't really need it but the price was so good that I will play with some shaft combos and see what I come up with.

Hopefully the THP Coupon on top of that helped

I have resisted doing the same for almost a week now, but I don't know if I can hold out much longer.

I tried to resist also, but the constant bad influence of THP makes it futile! I hit the Cortex at a PGA show and had been intrigued since Driver vs Driver.

Yes, thank you! Not sure if it's appropriate to post the final price here but with the THP discount it was just too good to pass up. Definitely a great benefit!

I tried to resist also, but the constant bad influence of THP makes it futile! I hit the Cortex at a PGA show and had been intrigued since Driver vs Driver.

Yes, thank you! Not sure if it's appropriate to post the final price here but with the THP discount it was just too good to pass up. Definitely a great benefit!

Of course it is. Rub it in. Haha. Nah we are just a fun community and others will be happy for you.

Got this driver just before Christmas, at €200 on eBay I just had to. There are still shops here that sell it for €499 (Germany €350).
Ever since trying it at a Wilson demo back in March, it was on my wishlist.
Couldn't be happier, hit 4/5 fairways using it first time today. The Atmos Red is a good match for my swing apparently, or vice versa. Keeping the Adams XTD as backup, but the Cortex is definitely longer.
The Cobra F9 driver was also a good fit, but the Cortex felt better to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20191219_141417.jpg
    IMG_20191219_141417.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 14
What shaft was in yours? I was expecting the Red, per the web site options, but mine came with the Blue, which I think may be a better fit for me.

I feel like I stole something, after using the coupon.

What shaft was in yours? I was expecting the Red, per the web site options, but mine came with the Blue, which I think may be a better fit for me.
Mine came with the red which was the only one available in the flex/weight I was looking for. I usually fit right at the threshold of regular/stiff and can play either and decided to go regular.

The blue looks like a better profile to me, probably should have gone that direction. Give me a 50/50 choice and I'll get it wrong 90% of the time. :ROFLMAO:

I took this one out for the first time on Saturday. No range time, no warmup, and it was damp and drizzly.

I went with the 9* head and got the Atmos TS Blue, instead of the expected Red. I set it up as similar to my Fly-Z+ as I could. I flipped the 8g weight to the draw port and moved the sliding weight up. One difference is that my Fly-Z+ is a 10.5* head turned down to the 9* Draw setting.

I could not keep the ball in the air long enough with the Cortex, maxing out at 236 yds. Contact was not the best, but was sufficient on the 'long' one.

I planned to play both off the tee today, but was unable to do so until late in the round on one hole before dark. I made one change to slide the weight all the way back. Near-center contact pushed one out 257 yds today with a good flight, very similar to my Cobra. Some promise after a rough start over the weekend, just need more swings.

Flight seemed fine today on the range and course, but I'm ending up short in places I'm not used to hitting from when using the Fly-Z+. 15-25 yards shorter. :confused2:

Flight seemed fine today on the range and course, but I'm ending up short in places I'm not used to hitting from when using the Fly-Z+. 15-25 yards shorter. :confused2:
o_O:unsure:
Interesting. Distances have always been comparable or better than usual for anyone that has tried my Cortex. Mostly Ping and TM players, but that shouldn't matter in this context.

Move the center weight starting at full back and try hitting a few at each mark as you move the weight forward to see if you distance improves?

Our first league tournament was 2 weeks ago and the Cortex continues to be a fairway finder. It definitely contributed to my finishing 2nd in the flight and 4th overall. ?

Our first league tournament was 2 weeks ago and the Cortex continues to be a fairway finder. It definitely contributed to my finishing 2nd in the flight and 4th overall. ?

I only had the Cortex for 2 months but it is an amazing driver. Very accurate and easy to hit

I picked up one of these for my son, his first adult driver. I set it to draw, +2 (to14*); weight back, Atmos Red. He hit a lot of straight shots and gained a lot of distance over his Ping junior set. Sound was great, muted on middle shots and higher pitched on high, toe and heel shots. I like drivers that give feedback. I like sound that isn’t the extremely muted carbon sound. This checks those boxes. He’s happy which makes me happy.

Last edited:
I picked up one of these for my son, his first adult driver. I set it to draw, +2 (to14*); weight back, Atmos Red. He hit a lot of straight shots and gained a lot of distance over his Ping junior set. Sound was great, muted on middle shots and higher pitched on high, toe and heel shots. I like drivers that give feedback. Opi like sound that isn’t the extremely muted carbon sound. This checks those boxes. He’s happy which makes me happy.

I love this

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Once I am swinging again the cortex is going back into play. Thinking about getting a new shaft for it, can’t decide what shaft yet though

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Once I am swinging again the cortex is going back into play. Thinking about getting a new shaft for it, can’t decide what shaft yet though

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

How long did you game the Epic Flash? How did it compare to the Cortex?

I should also add that he was all over the clubface. The Cortex is really forgiving. Plenty of his straight balls were high toe and low heel. Impressive.

How long did you game the Epic Flash? How did it compare to the Cortex?
Had the EF for the fall last year. I was swinging so bad then it’s hard to compare them.
The cortex has better sound and and looks better IMO.
The EF is lighter and perhaps a tad more forgiving.
i plan on giving them a better comparison this spring

I should also add that he was all over the clubface. The Cortex is really forgiving. Plenty of his straight balls were high toe and low heel. Impressive.
Hmm, sounds like me.
I've found that anything other than a severe OTT swing my ball finds the fairway.

Back