The Callaway Mavrik Driver

Hence the reason I said it.
Fitting is not a challenge for any clubs from a fitter that wants the resources.
And as mentioned, Callaway will be hitting something pretty hard in the future on this, that I am limited to what I can speak on. But THPer friend was brought in for this very purpose.
This makes me freaking excited.

I asked Dnevs about this and he went back to it being a small percentage that does it. I know it’s not the best answer but we have to remember they are making clubs for a broader audience
And there are...ample...options this go round too.

I asked Dnevs about this and he went back to it being a small percentage that does it. I know it’s not the best answer but we have to remember they are making clubs for a broader audience
I get that for sure. But I feel like OEM's need to be careful with this sort of thinking - sort of like when they build a driver with an internal draw bias because "a majority of players miss right". I like having the option to configure a draw bias, or to configure a different loft/lie - not be forced one way or the other.

I'm just one guy who happens to be particular about his equipment. I know they don't and can't make gear just for little ol' me, but it doesn't change my opinion.

Hence the reason I said it.
Fitting is not a challenge for any clubs from a fitter that wants the resources.
And as mentioned, Callaway will be hitting something pretty hard in the future on this, that I am limited to what I can speak on. But THPer friend was brought in for this very purpose.

and he’s really excited to get it going. His eyes lit up talking about it with how it can benefit golfers long term.

and he’s really excited to get it going. His eyes lit up talking about it with how it can benefit golfers long term.
Yes he was, dropped some serious knowledge while we were waiting for our club fitting portion. Would be fun spending a 1/2 day talking with him. One of the easiest to talk to while we where at Callaway this year.

I get that for sure. But I feel like OEM's need to be careful with this sort of thinking - sort of like when they build a driver with an internal draw bias because "a majority of players miss right". I like having the option to configure a draw bias, or to configure a different loft/lie - not be forced one way or the other.

I'm just one guy who happens to be particular about his equipment. I know they don't and can't make gear just for little ol' me, but it doesn't change my opinion.

we also have to keep in mind this is a Rogue replacement line and those were bonded as well.

I tend to agree with you here. I think for a lot of golfers it does, albeit less so in fairway woods by a large margin.
With a fitting initiative by many brands, I think it is less important, but its still there.

So next year when there is an adjustable hosel again you will say They messed up a good thing?

Because the next epic or whatever they decide to call it will for sure have an adjustable hosel again.

So next year when there is an adjustable hosel again you will say They messed up a good thing?

Because the next epic or whatever they decide to call it will for sure have an adjustable hosel again.

Did I say they shouldn’t be putting in an adjustable hosel somewhere in here? :ROFLMAO:
I believe EVERY company should offer both and have said that across the board for years now.

Did I say they shouldn’t be putting in an adjustable hosel somewhere in here? :ROFLMAO:
I believe EVERY company should offer both and have said that across the board for years now.

No, that’s why I asked. I have not been here for years so I don’t know the history there. It just appeared that you seemed to think it was not needed. That’s all.

No, that’s why I asked. I have not been here for years so I don’t know the history there. It just appeared that you seemed to think it was not needed. That’s all.

I am in the camp that I dont think its needed. I think golfers believe it’s needed.
But they gave it to them (for other reasons), so taking it away, which might actually be beneficial for design is not possible. So I love when brands have the options for everybody.

And if it does, it’ll match the release pattern they’ve established.

Rogue fw were non adjustable, these are the line replacement for those. Flash fw were adjustable, the next release will be the line replacement for those, not the MAVRIK release.

I am in the camp that I dont think its needed. I think golfers believe it’s needed.
But they gave it to them (for other reasons), so taking it away, which might actually be beneficial for design is not possible. So I love when brands have the options for everybody.

Of course it is not needed. As mentioned, once set most rarely change them nor should they. As someone who likes to try different set ups, it is nice.

And if it does, it’ll match the release pattern they’ve established.

Rogue fw were non adjustable, these are the line replacement for those. Flash fw were adjustable, the next release will be the line replacement for those, not the MAVRIK release.

Yeah, that was my point.

Edit**

I guess part of my thought in this is regardless what the story for or against anything, as consumers. As people spending hard earned money for a hobby. Don’t fall for marketing stories. Check, understand and test.

I am Skeptic towards adjustable or bonded one is better than the other because a manufacturer tells me it is better. What is their motivation and where do I fall into that.

I am not trying to say OEMs are lying or misleading. I do not really believe that. I think they want players to improve. Just be careful with marketing hype. Especially when one year they say one thing, and the next year they say something different. That’s all.

Last edited:
I continually hear this. But from a fitting standpoint sometimes that extra adjustment makes or breaks a club for somebody vs just dismissing a club.

Good example of this is the Ping G410 Hybrid.
I hear a good deal how the club wasn’t all that until it was set to the flat” hosel setting. made this much more anti left and useable for many.

One could argue why not just get a bonded hybrid bent flat. And perhaps some models can be but if you went into a hybrid fitting it’s much easier to click a wrench to see what works vs Getting someone to actually bend a hosel.

I agree that once you find a setting most don’t mess with it but for me I still like the option to tinker when trying a club or going through a fitting.

Also I like to tinker with shafts and Since I don’t own a puller tinkering with bonded clubs gets costly quick not to mention the down time waiting on shaft changes at the shop.

but nobody rants about not having adjustable hosels on their irons. yet fitters have fitting specific adjustable hosels for irons. it’s a fitting tool that imho never should have made it to retail. i wish i had a bonded driver. give me the weight savings and more fine tuned cg placement all day and twice on sundays.

Yeah, that was my point.

Edit**

I guess part of my thought in this is regardless what the story for or against anything, as consumers. As people spending hard earned money for a hobby. Don’t fall for marketing stories. Check, understand and test.

I am Skeptic towards adjustable or bonded one is better than the other because a manufacturer tells me it is better. What is their motivation and where do I fall into that.

I am not trying to say OEMs are lying or misleading. I do not really believe that. I think they want players to improve. Just be careful with marketing hype. Especially when one year they say one thing, and the next year they say something different. That’s all.

I dont disagree with this, that is why choices are good.
One isn’t better than the other. They are different. One gives the options for easier adjustment, the other gives the club design the ability to repurpose that extra weight elsewhere or not add it back to the toe To eliminate any bias.

I dont disagree with this, that is why choices are good.
One isn’t better than the other. They are different. One gives the options for easier adjustment, the other gives the club design the ability to repurpose that extra weight elsewhere or not add it back to the toe To eliminate any bias.

I completely agree. I'd also add that I don't think the marketing is ever really geared at telling someone that a particular fairway wood is good BECAUSE it's bonded or BECAUSE it's adjustable. Adjustability is part of the story with some clubs; with others it's not. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. And like you said, choices are good.

Yeah, that was my point.

Edit**

I would say whether something is bonded or not doesn’t make it better. The head design and technology combined with the right shaft will be what golfers should concentrate on.

as

It's fantastic that there are two lines offered that target slightly different golfers or desires.

It's fantastic that there are two lines offered that target slightly different golfers or desires.
This is exactly right. The epic flash is not being replaced. Callaway has a damn nice adjustable fairway that will still be offered going forward.

I'm not going to discount anyone's opinion should they prefer an adjustable fairway. I always adjust mine upright, and have been known to change the face angle here and there. I get it, it is a nice feature.

I thought that if there were one club in my bag that I would have a really hard time getting rid of was my epic flash sz 3 wood. But, after finally being able to get some time with the new lineup. My tune has been changed. I'm seeing better performance and it's significant in my eyes.

So, if anyone really wants an adjustable fairway wood, I have one that I don't need anymore ;)

Like what I’m reading on the fws. I’ve been struggling to find something to boot out my old TaylorMade tour issue deep dace RBZ 5 wood.
Sounds like a Mavik 5 wood could hip check the oldie out of the bag...

I'm a big fan of the bonded Rogue SZ fairway line, specifically my 15* 3 wood. Just a great club and if Callaway made it better, yikes.

Like what I’m reading on the fws. I’ve been struggling to find something to boot out my old TaylorMade tour issue deep dace RBZ 5 wood.
Sounds like a Mavik 5 wood could hip check the oldie out of the bag...
I think they'll have something for you there. What kind of loft is that your 5 wood?

long day with this driver and these woods. the standout continues to be the 5w. it is crazy consistent. i love it.

i’ll have more info on the other clubs tuesday when we are allowed. tomorrrow i’m jumping on trackman with the clubs to grab some more numbers for you nerds.

it’s almost time!!!

Back