Are you bothered by a large ball mark?

Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With people posting pictures of their ball marks and size it got me thinking about them. I'm not bothered by a large ball mark, I typically use one that's large. If a playing partner is distracted by it I will switch it out to a smaller one at their request but it's not something that bothers me. If others have them they will just move it over so it's not in my line but I don't find them distracting. What say you? Are you bothered by a large ball marker? A tee as a ball marker? Do shiny objects distract you?

Nope.. My cousin uses the poker chip ones and i once watched a friend use his cell phone on the first green as he forgot to put a coin in his pocket.

If you start pulling this, you may have gotten a bit extreme..
1578932025353.png

Doesn't bother me at all.. Its not that serious.

If it is in my line I will just ask them to move it.

Nope but I’m pretty relaxed.

Nah, ball marker size won't bother me if it's not on my line. using a tee can be more distracting honestly.

Doesn't bother me. I make @Jaymo37 move his mark more than I make others move theirs though.

I typically play with a smaller mark, but I change them up depending on the bag and round I have in play.

I guess another question would be, how big is too big? Mine are right around the width of a poker chip/ slice of a golf ball, so right around 1 5/8" ish.

It doesn't bother me at all, and I will just ask someone to move it if I feel it is too close to my line

From experience the mark @Trmpt98 uses is like the size of a clay pigeon.

In all seriousness it doesn't bother me and if it's in the way I ask it to be moved or whatever. Recent went to a 1.5" marker for our Vegas trip gifts and I love the size, weight and finish of the copper.

No issue with larger ball markers. If it's in the way I'll ask to move left or right.

I just use the one that is on my divot tool but as many have already said as long as it's not in my line I am fine with it.

From experience the mark @Trmpt98 uses is like the size of a clay pigeon.

In all seriousness it doesn't bother me and if it's in the way I ask it to be moved or whatever. Recent went to a 1.5" marker for our Vegas trip gifts and I love the size, weight and finish of the copper.

Oh come on, it's not THAT big..... it may be pushing just slightly larger than a poker chip, plus it's domed so it provides a nice ramp for your ball to launch off of.

I don't care, but don't get offended when I ask you to move your man hole cover over a couple of putter lengths so I don't hit it.

Large markers are not usually a "distraction", but they can interrupt the roll of a ball.
If another player has a chip or long lag putt and wants your ball marked, your large marker may disrupt the roll of that ball as much or more than if you had left your ball where it lay, so why even mark it ?

Honestly pay very little attention to other marks. If it's in my perceived line, I'll have them move it, but other than that I don't even notice them.

Large markers are not usually a "distraction", but they can interrupt the roll of a ball.
If another player has a chip or long lag putt and wants your ball marked, your large marker may disrupt the roll of that ball as much or more than if you had left your ball where it lay, so why even mark it ?
I think most markers would disrupt the roll of a ball if hit. Most people who use the small plastic ones tend to push them into the ground so you have a dimple. Even the small metal ones will change the direction/speed of a ball. I do get it though and will move/replace mine if asked. If I'm in the line I will usually just use the smaller one anyway.

No sir. It doesn’t bother me.

nope, i figure if you can carry it in your pocket, i don't care

I think most markers would disrupt the roll of a ball if hit. Most people who use the small plastic ones tend to push them into the ground so you have a dimple. Even the small metal ones will change the direction/speed of a ball. I do get it though and will move/replace mine if asked. If I'm in the line I will usually just use the smaller one anyway.

The small plastic ones don't disrupt the roll of a ball. I agree that any of the metal markers, no matter how small, will interfere with the roll of a ball.
IMG_6723.JPG

nope.

The small plastic ones don't disrupt the roll of a ball. I agree that any of the metal markers, no matter how small, will interfere with the roll of a ball.
View attachment 8922319

I saw that post in the other thread. My experience with those ball marks is that people push them into the ground and create a dimple effect. If they didn't do that it definitely would be the least intrusive mark. Just my experience with people with them.

Not generally. If it's close to my line I'll ask you to move it anyway, so visual distraction is really the only thing that will get to me. We have a friend who used a piece of steel from -insert very long story if his- that I basically harassed into never using again because it shined like the f*cking sun. THAT drove me insane.

Edit: Mine is metal and on the larger size honestly. About 1/4" less wide than a poker chip, and about half as thick. Bronze, but pretty dull. No glare.

Last edited:
Back