Callaway Super Hybrid

could this be the Callaway to put in my bag? ;)

1st round with the 17* set a S/N, this thing is a beast, hit it off the tee for the 1st ever swing on a short par 4 and piped it about 220 center cut, that is as long as a missed drive (or average, ha, ha) with my EPIC flash. That was a fantastic start, tried it off the deck next and flubbed it about 30 yards....next one was a tee shot and again piped it maybe 210-215. Last try was off the deck and that one came off pretty good, a low draw maybe 190 and just what I needed in that spot.

I love the GD AD DI 85S shaft so far in the 17*, this could be a great club for a lot of things. Hit the 23* a couple of times and it is better off the deck as expected and I will put the GD AD DI 85S in that one also this week some time.

I really kinda want one of these... but hearing about that Mavrik FW line has me pondering that as well...

I have to find a way to hit these, but still have yet to see a LH one in any of the stores here

the thing is nuts, eh @jim54?!

It's almost too easy to hit well and straight.
I can't imagine what having some Club head speed would do, much better so far than any other Hybrid I have owned. I like the size being a tweener, I always liked smaller FW's but these have some distance in them unlike a small FW to me. Maybe the shorter shaft helps me make better contact, but off the tee it was just nuts and a high draw or straight.

I have been aiming down the right side expecting a lot of draw, but nope unless I just snatch it over it goes straight. Par 3 playing 202 downwind hit the 23* and because there was water left aimed at the right edge of the green and that is where the ball stayed, pin high in the right fringe. Just have to trust it and go pin hunting....then I will overdue it and hook it into the water.....

Took this out again this morning and again this was solid off the tee for me. I did attempt to hit it off the deck again and it did not go well. I just need more time with it there.

As I mentioned in my last reply, I love the muted sound this thing has when hit solid. You almost feel nothing.

I can see myself having a little battle between Super Hybrid and Mavrik 5 wood. Admittedly I'm hoping the Hybrid works better because it's just so badass.

Awaiting a Super Hybrid vs Mavrik Heavenwood/5 wood shootout.

Here are some TrackMan numbers from my practice session on Saturday. Keep in mind that the Trackman was set to 4000 elevation, so the distance is somewhat exaggerated for those of you who do not play at elevation. I have now hit this enough to know where it slots for me. It definitely is not a 3 wood replacement, but it is a very long 5 wood replacement for me, which is what I have suspected for some time. The cool thing is that it is so much easier to control than a 5 wood. This club is firmly cemented in my bag for 2020.C76E2936-AAF5-41BA-BCE6-54BDFE05BDA1.png

I had some fun with this yesterday. one shot that comes to mind was a long par 4. I had 225 to a back pin and hit a mid/low cut that hit on the front third of the green and finished at 210. i was playing two balls that day, and the second shot was hit on a higher trajectory with a little more fade, and landed pretty softly finished at almost the same number on the green. i'm finding that this one needs a little more of a descending strike to add some spin. and the feel is so freaking hot off the face.

Here are some TrackMan numbers from my practice session on Saturday. Keep in mind that the Trackman was set to 4000 elevation, so the distance is somewhat exaggerated for those of you who do not play at elevation. I have now hit this enough to know where it slots for me. It definitely is not a 3 wood replacement, but it is a very long 5 wood replacement for me, which is what I have suspected for some time. The cool thing is that it is so much easier to control than a 5 wood. This club is firmly cemented in my bag for 2020.View attachment 8922339

Animal!

What loft are you playing?

I had to change my shaft or a Fujikura pro at 75 grams And at 41”. Instant change in height and dispersion for me. This is a lovely club to hit off the tee and I am doing pretty good off the deck. I have my FW replacement for a long time. I am probably most excited to use this club this year and i am looking for every opportunity to pull it.

Put GD AD DI 85s shafts in both the 23 & 17* wow these are fun, I normally hate a hybrid after 3 rounds but these are hanging tight. I find I can take some off the 23* and hit a high floater about 170 or step on it and get 190+ the 17 has been a bit more touchy but flushed it is a rocket off the tee or deck. I had 225 into 18 (par 5) and smoked this sucker mid high with a bit of a draw and got to about 10 ft off the green.

That is a wallop for me..

Put GD AD DI 85s shafts in both the 23 & 17* wow these are fun, I normally hate a hybrid after 3 rounds but these are hanging tight. I find I can take some off the 23* and hit a high floater about 170 or step on it and get 190+ the 17 has been a bit more touchy but flushed it is a rocket off the tee or deck. I had 225 into 18 (par 5) and smoked this sucker mid high with a bit of a draw and got to about 10 ft off the green.

That is a wallop for me..

I think there's something so comforting and confidence-inspiring knowing you can really step on this without fear of the hard left miss

The super hybrid is a great club. I was talking to a Callaway rep just yesterday about it saying what a great club it is. he kinda surprised me with his response. He said it is. too bad we completely botch the launch of it.

It came out very late in the year but didn't seem too "botched" to me. But, I guess many have experienced shortages, sellouts and back orders.

I want to love this club. Looks great at address. Have tried it a few times but I’m used to a 62g hybrid shaft. Has any slower swingers tried a lighter shaft? I’ve tried the Tensei orange Reg but I keep hitting it fat. Just feels too heavy through the ball for me.

I want to love this club. Looks great at address. Have tried it a few times but I’m used to a 62g hybrid shaft. Has any slower swingers tried a lighter shaft? I’ve tried the Tensei orange Reg but I keep hitting it fat. Just feels too heavy through the ball for me.

i’ll be honest, i’m not sure i see this one geared to more deliberate swing speeds. it is so low spin that without speed i think it would be an issue.

i’ll be honest, i’m not sure i see this one geared to more deliberate swing speeds. it is so low spin that without speed i think it would be an issue.
I don't know Capt. I am about as deliberate as can be right now and it is nuts what I am getting out of the 17 deg. Par 5 - 9 hole today plays 575 from the whites and I hit a decent lay up drive (there is a big downhill to a pond, if you hit more than 200 it can go in) and had 375 in, smoked the 17 to 140 yards. Now it ran out some, but it was longer than my drive...

I don't know Capt. I am about as deliberate as can be right now and it is nuts what I am getting out of the 17 deg. Par 5 - 9 hole today plays 575 from the whites and I hit a decent lay up drive (there is a big downhill to a pond, if you hit more than 200 it can go in) and had 375 in, smoked the 17 to 140 yards. Now it ran out some, but it was longer than my drive...

damn that's a big poke! you do have a deliberate back swing, but you have a pretty aggressive downswing transition. and I think you get good spin too. hence why you get along well with x flex shafts and low spin heads. for me, I almost always need the higher launch higher spin heads, and a never-gonna-happen combo of a heavy shaft to maintain plane but in a softer profile to help me launch the ball. thank God for the handcrafted experience so I could actually have that shaft made for me!

I really want to try this one. Sadly it’s another club that the Big Box Galaxy just doesn’t seem to carry around her. ?

I think it also may depend on how one delivers the club to the ball in terms of club path, AoA, etc. My numbers, posted a few posts above, certainly evidence a club that works for moderate swing speed. I am not finding it to be low spin, and that is with the Tensei Orange shaft. My AoA is shallow, so you would think low spin, but I have always had higher spin, probably because I tend to add dynamic loft. It can be so individualized.

Have the 17degree in my bag now for a bit over a week. Paired it up with a steelfiber i80 shaft and am liking it mostly so far. From the tee it is truly wonderful, get a lot of length with control out of it. Mixed results from the fairway / rough. It is working well on a flat lie and ball below my feet also works. But ball above my feet, the 41,5' shaft is not making things easy. More me (and my desire to do too much from such lies) than the club. I get height, quite a bit but also low spin so it gets out there. Happy. Contemplating to possibly take 0,5' of that shaft.

Will be putting one of these into play tomorrow. @Alez367 knows the FrankenHulk shaft that I’ll be using for it.

Looking forward to it, as it has been a few weeks since I last hit it. I can think of a few holes that I will be using it off the tee, but unsure if I will be in a position to use in the fairway...maybe one hole..

Will be putting one of these into play tomorrow. @Alez367 knows the FrankenHulk shaft that I’ll be using for it.

Looking forward to it, as it has been a few weeks since I last hit it. I can think of a few holes that I will be using it off the tee, but unsure if I will be in a position to use in the fairway...maybe one hole..

Depending on how it goes, there’s plenty of tee shots at your course that you could use it instead of driver.

Back