How would you play if you had to play a round of golf the opposite hand?

NoShanks

Grandaddy 19 Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
If you are right handed, how do you think you would play if you had to play a round of golf left handed? What do you think about you would shoot?

same with left handed to play right handed.

for me, I’m right handed and If I had to play left handed for a round, I’d probably shoot 120. My drives would probably barely break 150 yards.

Last edited:
I wouldn't make it through an entire round left-handed because it would be an absolute nightmare haha, I'd be lucky to break 150 using the opposite hand.

It’d be a disaster. Of course, most of my rounds are some kind of disaster.

Not good. Although I can putt and have putted left handed in the past.

It wouldn't be good!

Haha, how do you guys think you would shoot?

I would shoot way more than 100.

I’d probably end up with about the same score either way... maybe 2 or 3 more shots. I think the hardest thing would be putting.

I’d probably end up with about the same score either way... maybe 2 or 3 more shots. I think the hardest thing would be putting.

Tee up a driver opposite hand and take a rip and you might change your answer. Putting would be the easiest part.

Last edited:
I'm a lefty but I used to have a decent right handed swing. That's what all my friends are so I'd always attempt to hit their clubs before I got really in to the game. But since I really found my love for it and have worked hard on my own swing, I really don't think I could do it anymore. 130-150 if I was lucky I'd say:LOL:

I seriously doubt I could even finish the round. I’m bad enough right handed that playing left handed would be an absolute nightmare

Tee up a driver opposite hand and take a rip and you might change your answer. Putting would be the easiest part.
I grew up playing right handed because that’s what clubs my dad had. I play other sports (like hockey, lacrosse and batting) left handed. Picked up golf again two seasons ago and bought left handed clubs because it feels more natural. I sometimes still carry a right handed 9 iron.

Not saying my score would be very good either way.

I wouldn’t play

I don't think I could do this to myself.. I would be in the clubhouse drinking the nightmare away after 4 or so holes

Please, enjoy my mediocrity.

And to answer the question... FOREVER. Emphasis on the "fore"

Way better than the last time I attempted it and fortunately there's no video of it..

Horribly, I can barely SuperSpeed with the opposite hand

Interesting question. How much practice prep does one get? Give a person six months, and I suspect the difference wouldn't be as great as you might think. But it wouldn't be close, and it wouldn't be pretty, as a one-off round of golf without the benefit of practice. Given six months of concentrated practice, I think I would be within three to four strokes playing left-handed. I'm only a mid-high handicapper (17). However, I have always been naturally ambidextrous, and it has surprised me how quickly I have been able to adapt and develop skills through practice.
Though ambidextrous, I'm predominantly right-handed. I write right-handed. I handle tools right-handed. When I was about 12 years old, I read that left-handed batters had an advantage on close plays at first base (infield grounders) because they are five feet closer to first base coming out of the batter's box than right-handed batters are/ In addition, their swing inertia is toward first-base, whereas a right-hand batter's inertia is toward the third-base side of the infield. Together, those factors make a big difference in how quickly one gets down the line to first. I also learned that left-handed batters typically bat for a higher average against right-handed pitchers. There are many more right-handed pitchers than left-handed, so it is a big advantage to be able to hit from the right-side of the plate (i.e., left-handed) more often. Conversely, right-handed batters hit for higher averages against left-handed pitchers. Both righties and lefties hit for higher averages against pitchers who throw with the opposite hand to the way they bat. So I became a switch hitter. My junior year I hit .572, and my batting average was higher batting left-handed than right-handed. My batting average as a senior wasn't as high (but still over .500), though I wasn't as good hitting left-handed. Playing basketball, I toyed around with shooting with either hand starting in the eighth grade. My senior year of high school I scored about 40% of my points with left-handed shots, and most were jump shots from 15'+, not lay ups. I was always more comfortable passing left-handed than right-handed. So it is possible to play sports left-handed or right-handed regardless of what our naturally dominant side is if one invests in the practice time.

Not sure on what I would shoot. I am a righty for everything I do with the exception of hockey. I have been able to hit a baseball with some decent success lefty, and hit a few non horrible drives lefty (maybe the hockey helps a little), but taking full iron shots from a fairway i think would be quite hard. Im a sh***y chipper and putter anyway, so i think that area actually wouldnt be too massively different. Maybe two extra shots per hole on average, so if i am usually around 80, maybe 115 to 120.

I'd be lucky to actually hit the ball..... no way I could play 18 left handed.... the sun doesn't shine that long

It is unlikely that I would even be able to make contact with the ball, let alone shoot any kind of score under 150.

Back