Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

And PGATSS have testing clubs in hands....

I’m looking forward to getting my hands on these when it warms up a bit. I really want a new 3W

Going to hit the fwy woods tomorrow. With military discount and trade in bonus I could be out the door at $90 a club. Oh man. I am torn, but I have to hit these first.

I’d have to get fit for these I think. I have the 13.5* 3+ rogue SZ, and I hit the 3+ SZ and the 3 hybrid. Sound and everything was great, but the performance didn’t necessarily blow me away. Good, but not mind blowing. I think with a good fitting you could potentially get there. I was ready to ponder but I think I’d hold off after that.

@radiman has me seriously contemplating swing speed training and @NoShanks has me investigating the validity of the Vulcan Mind Meld. ?
Excellent feedback and photos by all. You guys absolutely crushed it on these reviews.

I got to hit the Mavrik, Sub Zero 3 wood today. It is an absolute rocket launcher. I was seeing the same ball spin and launch with the 15 degree that I normally see with the 13.5 head. Feels great, too.
I wasn’t looking to replace my Rogue SZ 3W+ but after talking to @mikeg_74 ... I’ve got to at least hit it...

Just food for thought...I went SZ 3+ with the heavy weight in the back. Get the forgiveness of the weight in the back and the 13.5 helped tame spin. This combo is bonkers!

Just food for thought...I went SZ 3+ with the heavy weight in the back. Get the forgiveness of the weight in the back and the 13.5 helped tame spin. This combo is bonkers!
That is an interesting setup .... hmmmmm

I need to stay out of this thread.

Lol, just a guess. But, I don't believe you have that kind of will power. You'll be back ;)

You can’t prove ANYTHING!!!!

A 3 wood has been ordered. 3 wood rockets are about to be launched in South Dakota. Maybe not about to be, more like in 3 months but still.

A 3 wood has been ordered. 3 wood rockets are about to be launched in South Dakota. Maybe not about to be, more like in 3 months but still.

What flavor @KEV ?

Once we decided on the Mavrik irons. We moved onto the hybrids and woods. There was a lot of swapping around in this category for me and with the breadth of new offerings, there will be some serious decisions for people to make in this part of bag. You really could go either way on a lot of these clubs but I think people will be able to definitely find something in this category that will work for them.

Because of my steep angle of attack I get along well with them off the deck, and one of my favorite clubs in my current setup is my Srixon f65 3w. I play it off the deck and the tee, but my main issue with it is that with the stock shaft and my spin I have issues with it ballooning on me and losing distance. With this information my fitter got to work trying to find the right profile for me. Now for driver I was fit into the Max, but for the 3w after looking at the numbers we ended up going with the Mavrik Standard 3+ wood paired with the Aldilia Rouge white 130 MSI 70 X-Stiff shaft. I often want to hit the 3w as a driver replacement where I play so the added 3+ distance will be helpful and I was confident in the decision since I always get along with 3 woods.

The next stop in the fitting has been a trouble spot for me in the bag for a while. I rotate between a hybrid and driving iron quite a bit and can't seem to find a reliable club. Hybrids are unpredictable for me, and driving irons I like but usually aren't as forgiving. I tried the super hybrid, but as someone who fights the slice the open face at address didn't really fit my eye. Now I really wanted to try the new Mav pro hybrid as it looks almost like a small fairway shape and I was hoping maybe that would work. My fitter Jason basically looked at me, knew my swing, and gave me a hard......nope. Haha, basically he knew in advance I was going to slice the hell out of it, so I deferred to his better judgment and moved on. It would prove to be a smart move. He then went on to say l, and I'm paraphrasing, you know you like fairway woods, the hybrids were unpredictable, and the UT wasn't getting the distance you need, have you ever played a 5 wood. I've never really gamed a modern 5 wood before, let's give it a shot. Results.....Stripe Show. The ball flight and numbers were excellent and after few more tweaks we ended up going back to the Max for gapping/spin purposes and the final choice was the Mavrik Max 5w again with the Aldilia Rogue white 130 MSI 70 X-Stiff

Now like I said in my irons review it's only indoor golf until the spring so I am going to be putting these through their paces with some long term comparisons on trackman paired with some more lessons and see where we net out. From what I am seeing so far the forgiveness and ball speed is just bananas. 148mph+ ball speed from a 5 wood off the grass at ecpc is just crazy. I did manage to get outside to range one day with them last week in a wicked crosswind, and hit some horrifically bad shots off the toe that still managed to not only go straight but they were still significantly further than I would have ever expected. So not only are they long, the are extremely forgiving off the face. Go try them, and be sure you try multiple heads to find which version works for you.

1579148753558.jpeg
1579148810471.jpeg
1579148883537.jpeg
1579148947924.jpeg

The carry and flight was just absurd for where I hit these two off the toe. Super forgiving Max 5w

1579149090888.jpeg

1579149162728.jpeg

Once we decided on the Mavrik irons. We moved onto the hybrids and woods. There was a lot of swapping around in this category for me and with the breadth of new offerings, there will be some serious decisions for people to make in this part of bag. You really could go either way on a lot of these clubs but I think people will be able to definitely find something in this category that will work for them.

Because of my steep angle of attack I get along well with them off the deck, and one of my favorite clubs in my current setup is my Srixon f65 3w. I play it off the deck and the tee, but my main issue with it is that with the stock shaft and my spin I have issues with it ballooning on me and losing distance. With this information my fitter got to work trying to find the right profile for me. Now for driver I was fit into the Max, but for the 3w after looking at the numbers we ended up going with the Mavrik Standard 3+ wood paired with the Aldilia Rouge white 130 MSI 70 X-Stiff shaft. I often want to hit the 3w as a driver replacement where I play so the added 3+ distance will be helpful and I was confident in the decision since I always get along with 3 woods.

The next stop in the fitting has been a trouble spot for me in the bag for a while. I rotate between a hybrid and driving iron quite a bit and can't seem to find a reliable club. Hybrids are unpredictable for me, and driving irons I like but usually aren't as forgiving. I tried the super hybrid, but as someone who fights the slice the open face at address didn't really fit my eye. Now I really wanted to try the new Mav pro hybrid as it looks almost like a small fairway shape and I was hoping maybe that would work. My fitter Jason basically looked at me, knew my swing, and gave me a hard......nope. Haha, basically he knew in advance I was going to slice the hell out of it, so I deferred to his better judgment and moved on. It would prove to be a smart move. He then went on to say l, and I'm paraphrasing, you know you like fairway woods, the hybrids were unpredictable, and the UT wasn't getting the distance you need, have you ever played a 5 wood. I've never really gamed a modern 5 wood before, let's give it a shot. Results.....Stripe Show. The ball flight and numbers were excellent and after few more tweaks we ended up going back to the Max for gapping/spin purposes and the final choice was the Mavrik Max 5w again with the Aldilia Rogue white 130 MSI 70 X-Stiff

Now like I said in my irons review it's only indoor golf until the spring so I am going to be putting these through their paces with some long term comparisons on trackman paired with some more lessons and see where we net out. From what I am seeing so far the forgiveness and ball speed is just bananas. 148mph+ ball speed from a 5 wood off the grass at ecpc is just crazy. I did manage to get outside to range one day with them last week in a wicked crosswind, and hit some horrifically bad shots off the toe that still managed to not only go straight but they were still significantly further than I would have ever expected. So not only are they long, the are extremely forgiving off the face. Go try them, and be sure you try multiple heads to find which version works for you.

View attachment 8922937
View attachment 8922938
View attachment 8922939
View attachment 8922940

The carry and flight was just absurd for where I hit these two off the toe. Super forgiving Max 5w

View attachment 8922942

View attachment 8922943

this is a weapon for you. Harness this shot throughout your bag and watch that handicap go down.

What flavor @KEV ?
I went with the regular model. I was tempted by the Max but I don't think I would ultimately like the bigger size. It will have the KuroKage Black stiff shaft. I'm really excited to put this in the bag. For some reason I never fell in love with the Flash 3 wood as much as I did with my Rogue so I really hope this is able to live up to my beloved Rogue.

There are 2 big takeaways for me with these drivers.

1.Sound - this will be the first thing everyone notices. Sound = Feel and for me this sounds way better than anything on the market. I felt EF was loud and harsh. This is the exact opposite.

2. Forgiveness - every model in this lineup is extremely forgiving. Don’t get me wrong bad swings are bad swings and there is no club that will eliminate a bad result when we put a poor swing. What this does do is the spin and speed all over the face are much more consistent so distances on mishits are much better than just about any other club on the market.

To be clear...these 2 things also apply to fairways!

Local fitting center was unwrapping these as I left yesterday. Windchill at lunch today is 17*. Do I dare go hit at the range today. Hmmmm

Going to hit the fwy woods tomorrow. With military discount and trade in bonus I could be out the door at $90 a club. Oh man. I am torn, but I have to hit these first.
I just saw that Callaway offers 15% off with Military ID Verification, thanks for the heads up!

For those that have a few minutes, check out the latest Callaway Talks video. @DNevsCG is joined by Dr. Alan Hocknell head of R&D at Callaway. They take the deep dive into this lineup and what makes each unique. For those that love it, there is a ton of information to help you understand the technology behind the clubs.

For those that have a few minutes, check out the latest Callaway Talks video. @DNevsCG is joined by Dr. Alan Hocknell head of R&D at Callaway. They take the deep dive into this lineup and what makes each unique. For those that love it, there is a ton of information to help you understand the technology behind the clubs.

I watched this last night and it made me want to order more, haha. Such a great lineup of special fairway woods.

I watched this last night and it made me want to order more, haha. Such a great lineup of special fairway woods.

the biggest takeaway for me was that with the Epic Flash line there was a more human interaction. With this line its full on A.I. compute power fully optimized......that just blows me away because I thought Epic Flash was a great line.

Back