Best restaurant meal you have ever eaten?

Just_Hacking

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Okay, this one may require some thought. I know it did for me.

What is the best restaurant meal or meals you have ever eaten? Where was it at and what did you have? I am not looking for most expensive or fanciest meal, but just the one that tasted the best regardless of cost or location.

One of my top meals was last Sunday night at a place I have eaten at several times. Sal's Neighborhood Pizza on St. Simon's Island. I had the Salzone (a calzone) with pepperoni and mushrooms (no ricotta cheese though) and a side of tater tots. Damn it was good!! I think another one I would have to be the Loco Moco from a The Fish Hopper in Kona Hawaii.

I think one of the best and probably one of the best values I have had would be at Perry's Steakhouse in Austin. They have a friday lunch special for their pork chop that is huge and about 4 fingers thick for $14. It's normally in the high 30's. Add a few dollars for the hot bacon spinach salad and it is an amazing meal for around $20.

Bone in fillet at Mahogony steak house in Tulsa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a local place called the Tyme Out Lounge, they serve a great steak at a great price. A nice prime rib that just melts in your mouth. It is right at $18

I just had lamb chops in NYC at Kellari Taverna YUM
Also an incredible steak in argentina at a place that said it was the 34th best resturant in the world. Cant argue nor can i remember the name. Juan something

This is easy. We ate at Alain Ducasse's Le Jules Verne on the 2nd floor of the Eiffel Tower in 2016.

pan-seared sea bream over quinoa
crab claws and seafood gelee over gold caviar
stuffed courgette
sea bass over greens and mushrooms
seared filet w/ fois gras w/ souffleed potatoes
peach verbena sorbet w/ red currant juice
chocolate "tower nut" w/ praline

champagne to bookend the meal w/ wine pairings along the way.

insane.

Picking one is tough. I’ll have to give this some thought.

The French Laundry in Napa Valley. It has a reputation as the best or one of the best restaurants in California it didn't disappoint. Super expensive but one of those places we went with another couple for our anniversary about a decade ago. Reservations on a weekend are booked out 10+ months.

I'm much happier firing up the grill or smoker and making my own ribs or steak at home or going to the local burger joint by our house that has the best burgers I've ever eaten. My wife and I could go get burgers and drinks at Red Cow a dozen times for what our dinner at The French Laundry cost.

Last edited:
Restaurant August in New Orleans, for the speckled trout with hollandaise sauce. I haven't been back since the Besh mess turned things over a bit at his places. I hope they still offer it seasonally, because it was fantastic.

I think one of the best and probably one of the best values I have had would be at Perry's Steakhouse in Austin. They have a friday lunch special for their pork chop that is huge and about 4 fingers thick for $14. It's normally in the high 30's. Add a few dollars for the hot bacon spinach salad and it is an amazing meal for around $20.
Ok, I am adding this to the short list (y)

There is a story about a man who found the best restaurant he had ever known, Absolutely delicious food which tasted so good that for several weeks he went there every night .. He gained a tremendous amount of weight but did not care , as dining at this special place had become his life. One evening the chef appeared and invited him to have a special tour , to see how the food was prepared. Of course the customer accepted the invitation , but after going through the doors to the kitchen he was never seen again.

Commander's Palace Brunch in New Orleans
Pecan Crusted Gulf Fish
Prosecco poached Louisiana crabmeat, spiced pecans, and crushed corn sauce
The Blue Crab Stuffed Flounder was great too
Oven-dried tomatoes, confit shallots, and local kale over butter roasted flounder stuffed with melted leeks, wild mushrooms, brie cheese and local crabmeat

One meal I always remember is the Prime Double-Cut Pork Chop at III Forks in Dallas. I get this every time I visit my cousin there....it's outstanding!

Chicago Cut Steakhouse

THICK cut sweet/spicy bacon to start
Filet Mignon topped w/Lobster, parmesan crusted asparagus, Garlic mashed Red Potatoes
Key Lime Pie for dessert

Lobster Pot Pie at Sea Blue (now closed) inside the Borgata. Tasted even better after a good day at the tables.

Commander's Palace Brunch in New Orleans
Pecan Crusted Gulf Fish
Prosecco poached Louisiana crabmeat, spiced pecans, and crushed corn sauce
The Blue Crab Stuffed Flounder was great too
Oven-dried tomatoes, confit shallots, and local kale over butter roasted flounder stuffed with melted leeks, wild mushrooms, brie cheese and local crabmeat

Commander’s is one of the great restaurants of the world. last time we were there, black drum was the gulf fish. Exceptional. The turtle soup, the shrimp and Tasso henican, the escargot, the desserts (especially the bread pudding soufflé) and the service with the meal was phenomenal.

There are so many places in New Orleans I could list. Shaya is excellent. Give me Felix’s for oysters all day and twice on Sunday.

We’ve had really fantastic meals at Quality Meats in NYC. The cream corn brûlée is very likely the best side I’ve had anywhere. I also had a watermelon gazpacho there so good that I ordered 2 additional servings of it.

The short rib at Extra Virgin in Cruz Bay is lick the plate good.
Sorry, I can’t name just one meal. As it is I’m leaving off a bunch of wonderful meals.

Magnolia's in Charleston, SC Down South Egg Rolls, Smoked Double Thick Pork Chop, Lemon and Blueberry Cake w/ Lemon ice cream

Bowpicker Fish and chips in Astoria OR. Fresh fish, battered right in front of you, fried and freaking awesome. They run out fast!

I am not a huge steak fan or a huge chef fan so I am not going to name something fancy. A great burger, pizza, or sandwich gets me more excited than a USDA prime steak.

My favorite meal in Louisville is elk chili and green chili wontons at The Village Anchor. It's an appetizer and their soup ?. I will go with that I guess.

Last edited:
The best restaurant and meal my wife and I ever ate was at Mama’s Fish House in Maui.

The food was amazing from start to finish. We both had different fish items. Mine was a salmon and hers was a mahi mahi.

If I were to think about recent restaurants, than California Grill in Disney World. There I had a perfect apple walnut salad and a dish with mussels and clams.

Both places are fantastic.

Probably a Bone in Ribeye from Bobs Steak & Chophouse in Dallas.

It was also right before i proposed to my wife, so that may have had something to do with it, but it’s a phenomenal steak either way.

Commander’s is one of the great restaurants of the world. last time we were there, black drum was the gulf fish. Exceptional. The turtle soup, the shrimp and Tasso henican, the escargot, the desserts (especially the bread pudding soufflé) and the service with the meal was phenomenal.
Not only is the food great, the service is exquisite. Drinks and coffee are unobtrusively refilled just before you finish the last sip. The waiter magically appears the moment you think of something you want. I agree the bread pudding souffle is some of the best I've ever had.

Restaurant August in New Orleans

We’re going down for a weekend next month and may check it out. I know we’re eating at Shaya. Clancy’s, Brigtsen’s, Lillette and maybe August for the other evening’s dinner.

III Forks

awesome place. It and Al Biernat’s are my favorite steak places in Dallas.

Back