I played trumpet, cornet, and flugelhorn in r&b bands around Boston, but that was many years ago. My chops are long gone and hard to find, I'm afraid.
I'm guessing that half of us will need to google "cornet!"

I played trumpet, cornet, and flugelhorn in r&b bands around Boston, but that was many years ago. My chops are long gone and hard to find, I'm afraid.
I'm guessing that half of us will need to google "cornet!"
I started my musical journey in 1975 playing cornet in grade school band. Played it through junior high, quit in high school, then played trumpet in university band.

I've always wanted a flugelhorn.

The one I like to use to get (non-brass player) people scurrying for Google is "emboucher."

Guitar--->Wah--->everything else

Depends on whether your wah is fuzz friendly or not, but in general, yeah...I sometimes put a comp before the wah.

Depends on whether your wah is fuzz friendly or not, but in general, yeah...I sometimes put a comp before the wah.
What Fuzz pedals do you have?

OK, I'll play 20 questions.

What are your favorite ones?

A couple of original Dallas Arbiter fuzz face...Ivor fuzz face replica...Big Muff Op Amp (Smashing Pumpkins)...Skreddy Lunar Module...Suhr Rufus Reloaded...Stomp under foot Ram's Head (I think that's what it is, I haven't looked at the label in a while)...a fuzz I have from Shin Ei...Analogman Sun Lion...Analogman Sun Face...I have a more, those are the ones I can remember. The Suhr Rufus Reloaded lives in on my #1 board at the moment. I listened to a lot of Big Wreck lately and had to use it

A couple of original Dallas Arbiter fuzz face...Ivor fuzz face replica...Big Muff Op Amp (Smashing Pumpkins)...Skreddy Lunar Module...Suhr Rufus Reloaded...Stomp under foot Ram's Head (I think that's what it is, I haven't looked at the label in a while)...a fuzz I have from Shin Ei...Analogman Sun Lion...Analogman Sun Face...I have a more, those are the ones I can remember. The Suhr Rufus Reloaded lives in on my #1 board at the moment. I listened to a lot of Big Wreck lately and had to use it
Cool! Some real classics there.

Here's my "Swiss Army knife" solution... Wanted to be able to cover a wide swath of fuzziness.

Tacq2FH.jpg

I actually don't own a fuzz. More distortion and OD for me. I thought about wading into the Fuzz pool but it's going to have to wait until after we move in a few weeks. The reason I asked about the wah is it sounds shrill where it is. I've got it in the FX loop after everything except for the JHS Little Black Box (master volume). I'm looking for the Cavo-Champagne or Pop Evil-Boss's Daughter type sound and can't quite get there. Thanks for the ideas. And Shred you have way to much Fuzz floating around. :love::unsure:

I actually don't own a fuzz. More distortion and OD for me. I thought about wading into the Fuzz pool but it's going to have to wait until after we move in a few weeks. The reason I asked about the wah is it sounds shrill where it is. I've got it in the FX loop after everything except for the JHS Little Black Box (master volume). I'm looking for the Cavo-Champagne or Pop Evil-Boss's Daughter type sound and can't quite get there. Thanks for the ideas. And Shred you have way to much Fuzz floating around. :love::unsure:

I have too much of everything floating around...less isn’t more, more is more... ?

I’ll be at the NAMM show in a few weeks, I’m sure I’ll walk away from that with more wants...

Neal Peart is dead...omg

Neal Peart is dead...omg

I saw that yesterday. 3 1/2 year battle with brain cancer. Sucks. You know you're getting old when your heroes start passing away. One of my favorites bands as a young person. My dad used to play them all the time in his truck. They were always touring through Buffalo. One night was never enough. They would usually sell out the old Aud at least 2. Very sad. :cry:

Neal Peart is dead...omg
Yeah, not gonna lie ... this one hurts.

I spent the bulk of my teenage years sitting in my bedroom learning Rush songs. Those three guys were my teachers, and my biggest inspriation to get better. It's almost like losing a friend, even though we never met.

At NAMM. I always seem to block from my mind how much noise it is...

At NAMM. I always seem to block from my mind how much noise it is...

I thought about driving over but too much stuff going right now. Enjoy and get some SWAG. :cool:

I've never played a musical instrument but recently purchased a Ukulele and Mandolin "starter package". My plan is to try and learn a song or two from YouTube instructional videos.:)

I've never played a musical instrument but recently purchased a Ukulele and Mandolin "starter package". My plan is to try and learn a song or two from YouTube instructional videos.:)

Since you're a 2 hdcp, you should be fine! :ROFLMAO:

Since you're a 2 hdcp, you should be fine! :ROFLMAO:

I attend the SF Symphony and try for seats above/behind the orchestra (it's a unique perspective and I like the sound). So, I watch and listen to the musicians, such as those playing the violin, and I think each one of them has put in 10X more practice time in music than Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods ever did for golf.

I attend the SF Symphony and try for seats above/behind the orchestra (it's a unique perspective and I like the sound). So, I watch and listen to the musicians, such as those playing the violin, and I think each one of them has put in 10X more practice time in music than Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods ever did for golf.

I played an instrument for 50 yrs. A lot of times I was playing up to 8 hours a day. When trying to get something particularly difficult "under my fingers". Close, was not good enough. Perfection is the only acceptable result. It does no real good to mindlessly play things you can already do for hours on end. You need to be stretching into a new technical challenge. It is the drive to get better. Understanding music theory and how it works, in relationship to the instrument you are playing, is really important. Like golf, it is a perishable skill that needs continuous practice attention, to maintain your current skill level. Like golf, getting the fundamentals understood and down pat, lays a good foundation. ;)

I played an instrument for 50 yrs. A lot of times I was playing up to 8 hours a day. When trying to get something particularly difficult "under my fingers". Close, was not good enough. Perfection is the only acceptable result. It does no real good to mindlessly play things you can already do for hours on end. You need to be stretching into a new technical challenge. It is the drive to get better. Understanding music theory and how it works, in relationship to the instrument you are playing, is really important. Like golf, it is a perishable skill that needs continuous practice attention, to maintain your current skill level. Like golf, getting the fundamentals understood and down pat, lays a good foundation. ;)

That's where I'm at now with my guitar playing. I can mindlessly play scales and chords for hours. But now it's grabbing a song and trying to dissect it then play it. Sometimes it gets frustrating if you can't figure something out but when you do it's awesome.

That's where I'm at now with my guitar playing. I can mindlessly play scales and chords for hours. But now it's grabbing a song and trying to dissect it then play it. Sometimes it gets frustrating if you can't figure something out but when you do it's awesome.

I came up through the old school way of listening (needle drop on records, over & over), then figuring out where on the guitar neck the hand position had to be, to play it. The tricky bit then becomes alternate tunings and hearing it and recognizing them. You have to think outside the box sometimes.

Today, with YT and other means with the internet, it changed everything. The best source is watching the original artist play the song. But be careful of others! Not everything is correctly done, from what I've seen.

Once you figure something out that is really challenging and you see how it all works and why, is usually a big stride forward in your own personal skill.

My mother was a musician, an oboe player. When it came time to learn an instrument, she wouldn't let me anywhere NEAR her beautiful oboe. I wanted to play trumpet, but she had an old Bundy flute. She said, "Shut up and blow!". I really did well with the flute. I went to school on a flute, voice and football scholarships! I know, interesting right? I was first chair flute my freshman year in college in both the university band AND orchestra! I really wanted to get drafted for football, but I had reconstructive surgery on my knee (now have full knee replacement on said knee!). So no more football! I, then, started to sing a LOT more. I had my first professional opera contract when I was 20! I sang operas, oratorios and musical comedies for over 40 years! Now, I just hum to myself not to startle other people!!

My mother was a musician, an oboe player. When it came time to learn an instrument, she wouldn't let me anywhere NEAR her beautiful oboe. I wanted to play trumpet, but she had an old Bundy flute. She said, "Shut up and blow!". I really did well with the flute. I went to school on a flute, voice and football scholarships! I know, interesting right? I was first chair flute my freshman year in college in both the university band AND orchestra! I really wanted to get drafted for football, but I had reconstructive surgery on my knee (now have full knee replacement on said knee!). So no more football! I, then, started to sing a LOT more. I had my first professional opera contract when I was 20! I sang operas, oratorios and musical comedies for over 40 years! Now, I just hum to myself not to startle other people!!
That is quite the story!! Ha! I think voice is the most intimidating thing to perform. I can do back-up vocals but not lead. Not good enough. Doing harmony is hard enough! It's not just being able to hit the notes... it's the delivery too!

Last edited:
Well, I think I'm recovered from NAMM...I didn't get sick which is amazing consider the ever present NAMM-thrax that is always there with all the hand shaking and fist bumping...

Pretty great show this year. I played some amazing amps and a few guitars that may get me in trouble. Spent some time with some artists I haven't seen in person since last year and got to catch up a bit. I normally do 3 days of the show, but decided to hit Crystal Cove and Newport Beach for a few days instead. Introduced a friend to Din Tai Fung and he may have broken something internally with all the soup dumplings he ate. Oh yeah, after years of trading DM's about gear, comic books, etc on Twitter, I finally met Vernon Reid (Living Colour) in person.

That's awesome. My sister-in-law is a fairly successful opera soprano in the UK.

Back