Best Casual Card/Dice Games

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We spent the night with some friends tonight and they had a pretty fun game called Tenzi, that works for both families and overly competitive (and drinking) adults haha! Combines dice and card criteria to make it a bit interesting.

Makes me wonder what else we don't know about, so here I ask, what are your favorite card games or dice games or family games, whatever.

...just don't play Euchre with me. The hockey player comes out in me :ROFLMAO:

Two card guts.... essentially you deal everyone two cards...pair of Aces is the best possible hand, 2,3 is the worse. It’s a bluffing game and you play for whatever amount makes you comfortable.

once everyone has their cards you extend your hand to the middle of the table, “1, 2, 3, Guts!” If you drop your hand you’re out of the game, if you keep your hand up you’re in. Now those who stayed in flip over their cards, winner takes the pot, the loser(s) have to match the pot.

this continues until there is only one player left.

I have a good friend Kris who loves to play single deck pinochle. He and his 2 sons and me (I stated playing with them a year or so ago).... my friend is pretty competitive and I like to talk S to him especially when he gets down....
Single deck means you really need your partner to help with cards (you win the bid you and your partner switch 4 cards) His one son and I always partner and we have a couple subtle gestures to communicate cards and suites..... Kris has yet to catch on and we usually beat his a**.

Get a few drinks flowing and its really a lot of fun!

2/3/4 players, love cribbage. Been playing it since I was probably 9 or 10, started playing it with my oldest nephew and now my younger nephews are getting into it. Playing for a penny/nickel/dime a point can be fun as well.

For dice we often play midnight (sometimes called 2/4 24, but I have also played with people who went 1/4 24) after a round so people can try and even out their winnings. Can have quite a few people play, and one of my buddies always makes us play by the rule of if you roll one of the dice off the table you have to take a shot of well gin.... that is not many peoples favorite shots.

F the dealer
Spoons
Up the river down the river

Are all simple drinking card games

Cribbage is our family go to for playing cards if using a regular deck. Euchre as well but it usually ends up in one person screaming at the other for the losing team. :)

For dice, we play 2 fairly regularly. A game called 'Fill or Bust' which is kind of like a cross between uno and yahtzee. The other is Yam Slam which is a dice game in a container with poker chips and you need to make poker hands ( full house, straight, flush, etc. ) to score points.

I can't believe how many of you have said crib! I used to play it with my Grandma and Great Aunt in Canada when i was younger but I never see it played here!!

Great call. I need to get a board.

I can't believe how many of you have said crib! I used to play it with my Grandma and Great Aunt in Canada when i was younger but I never see it played here!!

Great call. I need to get a board.

My mother is british and my father's side is all french canadian decendents so not playing cribbage in my house growing up got you thrown out of the house. :)

My mother is british and my father's side is all french canadian decendents so not playing cribbage in my house growing up got you thrown out of the house. :)
hahaha it was such a fun game.

No one ever plays Rummikub here either.

For a good 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 card game check out "hand and foot." It is a fun game while drinking or having casual conversation.

For a good 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 card game check out "hand and foot." It is a fun game while drinking or having casual conversation.
Wait...

Do I get to keep my socks on? Feet are gross.

Spools, Uno and Hearts are games that typically spring up at friend and family gatherings. My dad used to get us to play a penny ante dice game - 4,5,6 I remember it was fun but not much else... may have to look it up

hahaha it was such a fun game.

No one ever plays Rummikub here either.

Rummikub will start fights in our house. Mostly me kicking and screaming that I don’t want to get my ass kicked by my wife.

I like a lot of the newer games that have come out: Cards against humanity (for a VERY select audience), What do you meme?, etc. Some very fun and laid back games with conversation and maybe a beverage or two.

I have to get back into playing cribbage! It is so much fun and good for kids learning math. I had a sweet cribbage board collection when I was 10.
This was my favorite.45202A76-25EB-4117-A7AB-40F013ABB7D2.jpeg

Bid whist, 7's, Euchre, Kings in the Corner.

Lots of bid whist at my parents house generally accompanied with alcohol.

My wife's family plays 31 at family get-togethers. Kids loved it (still do as adults). Each player starts with 4 quarters (although lately we've cut it to 3 just to speed things up). You get 3 cards & have to get 31 (or as close as you can) in 1 suit. When someone thinks they have a winning hand they knock & everyone else gets one last draw (or picks up discard). Lowest score puts a quarter in the pot. When you lose all your quarters you're out. Winner gets all the coin. If you get 31 you show it immediately & everyone puts a quarter in. Aces are worth 11 & face cards count 10.

Best thing about this game is all ages can play and we've had 12-14 people starting a game (I think we might've added a second deck for that).

My wife's family plays 31 at family get-togethers. Kids loved it (still do as adults). Each player starts with 4 quarters (although lately we've cut it to 3 just to speed things up). You get 3 cards & have to get 31 (or as close as you can) in 1 suit. When someone thinks they have a winning hand they knock & everyone else gets one last draw (or picks up discard). Lowest score puts a quarter in the pot. When you lose all your quarters you're out. Winner gets all the coin. If you get 31 you show it immediately & everyone puts a quarter in. Aces are worth 11 & face cards count 10.

Best thing about this game is all ages can play and we've had 12-14 people starting a game (I think we might've added a second deck for that).

We've played that same game for years. My grandfather taught it to me and it's another favorite when we have extended family get togethers (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. ). We call it Skeet. :giggle:

Cards Against Humanity is the go to in our house. I had no idea how twisted my kid's minds were until we got into this game. My daughter has every expansion pack so it hasn't gotten old yet.

Cribbage is great and I also like playing Hollywood Gin with teams.

I love to play spades!

Three handed Cut Throat Pinochle with a Widow!

Cards Against Humanity is the go to in our house. I had no idea how twisted my kid's minds were until we got into this game. My daughter has every expansion pack so it hasn't gotten old yet.

Check out telestrations after dark.. it's like pictionary mixed with telephone and cards against humanity.

I have to get back into playing cribbage! It is so much fun and good for kids learning math. I had a sweet cribbage board collection when I was 10.
This was my favorite.View attachment 8923380
This is how I learned to count!!! Awesome game!!
Euchre is another great game I enjoy.

Back