Do you have a lot of different wedge shots in your arsenal?

RetiredBoomer

Reaction score
We're talking about how many wedges we carry these days, but one supposes that they're there so that we can hit shots with them.

I don't have a lot of wedge shots. Two full shots and two partial shots.

My first full wedge shot is the high soft shot from forward in my stance--the parachute ball.
This is a relatively safe shot, but it requires an excellent lie from which to hit...at least for me.

My other full wedge shot is the hard spinning, lower flying shot from back in my stance.
This has less of a finesse feel to it it, but if you don't spin the ball hard, you're pretty much screwed in the bunker behind the green...unless it's a pond or stream instead.
I miss steel spikes for this shot. Not sure why.

One partial shot is the cut lob. This is a shot for when I'm short sided but I'm so bad at the other shot that I play this one much more than I should.

The other is the bump shot which I've been trying to hit since the Dead Sea was first starting to feel a little queasy. I suck at chipping. I genuinely want to be better,
but I don't particularly want to practice to get there.

What are your "go to" wedge shots?

I have one shot for all my clubs.

I carry 50* and 56* only.
I use 56* all delicate chip shots.
I have one club to practice for most green side shots. Made my game simpler and predictable. I learned to use 56* when PW was 50* so it was easy transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry 50* and 56* only.
I use 56* all delicate chip shots.
I have one club to practice for most green side shots. Made my game simpler and predictable. I learned to use 56* when PW was 50* so it was easy transition.

My game is simple and predictable as well. Now I've just got to make that a good thing.

Several for each club. Difficult to predict which one is coming though.

PW - 122 to 70 yds. Bump & run
GW - 103 to 70 yds
54 - 80 to 40 yds, chip
58 - inside 55, Flop shot, Chop shot, Bunker shot, chip

With all of them: chili dip, skull. :ROFLMAO:

Slightly off topic, but I played with a guy on Wednesday who took a full swing with his wedge no matter where he was and completely freaked me out. 5 ft. off to 75 yards all looked the same out of the corner of my eye. He would decelerate to varying degrees at impact, but followed through all the way too, and I think I flinched in anticipation nearly every time.

I carry 4 wedges, and have multiple shots for all of them. I think you kind of have to. Same as you would if you only carried one. The 'go-tos'' really depend on the situation, but I know what the opposite of them are for me. I avoid a bump shot into the side of an elevated green and any kind of exaggerated flop shot unless absolutely necessary.

No I don’t. Need much more practice on the range with the wedge shots.

Not really, full, 3/4ish knock down, and then bump and run around the green... if I'm feeling saucy I'd attempt a flop, but I probably shouldn't.

I have a bunch of wedge shots. It’s why wedges are the best in my bag. I can hit multiple shots with all my wedges when I start getting close to the green depending on what is needed.

I love playing different shots around the green and practice quite a bit, so besides the basic chips and pitches, I can even do variations when the situation calls for it. For example, cutting across the ball can add height and sidespin. You can also add or reduce height by lengthening or cutting off the follow-through, opening or hooding the clubhead, moving the ball back or forward in your stance, or adding or taking away lag in your swing. I love having this versatility.

No, at the moment, but as I add a couple of wedges to my bag for the coming season I hope to get better.

I’ve got 1 “real” wedge. As has been pointed out over the years, I really carry a 10 and 11 iron, they just happen to be stamped PW & AW. I also carry a 54° wedge. With my 54° and my AW I’ve got a range of partial shots, using the Pelz method, that cover all of my distances from 115 to about 60 yards. Inside of that I’ve got a few different shots: long pitches, bump and runs, the occasional flop shot (just a truly terrifying shot to try sometimes), the little ’just-off-the-green’ chip shot, any of which I can execute on command successfully(ish). As someone that doesn’t hit the green a whole lot, those shots are sometimes the only thing that lets me even look at scaring par on a hole.

I’ve also perfect the chunky chip, the bladed skull crusher, the accidentally 150 yard chip and other variations that inevitably result in my saying bad words. :D

I use the same motion for every wedge. I just use different lofts for different flight and I move the ball forward or backward in my stance to either pop it up or pop it forward. This is very consistent for me as I cannot time wrist flicks ?

Same shot for green side bunker too? Interesting. My wedge shots vary due to lie and other situations.

I'm pretty versatile at flighting my wedges based on the situation. I need to learn a more consistent hard checking shot, I seem to have lost that one lately. My favorite is the big flop shot and I've become pretty good at it. Around the green I'll use everything from a 7 iron up to my 60*in different ways.

I have done best to develop go to shot for 60 to 120 with 8/9/pw/sw with full swing and 3/4 punch shots for 5 yard increments....

The more I watch Fowler the more I realize I really need to put more time into working on wedge shots.

Yes, I like to hit different types of shots with all of my wedges depending on where the hole is located. I tend to flight them down by default to try and control spin, I like to hit shots that take one bounce and stop for a majority of my wedge shots, but I can get them up in the air and play for spin if the pin location calls for it.

I’ve got two very distinct wedge shots. One is hitting an inch behind the ball and rolling a divot over the top of it. The other is a skull that rockets through the green at ankle height. I have no other options...

I’ve got two very distinct wedge shots. One is hitting an inch behind the ball and rolling a divot over the top of it. The other is a skull that rockets through the green at ankle height. I have no other options...

That's everybody.
I'm talking about when you accidentally hit the shot that you were trying to execute.

I do play several different shots with my 54 and 58 degree wedges. Flight them up or down quite often depending on the need and, of course, take off as needed for distance required. And then there are the many different shots around the greens.

My wedge game is the area where I have made the most improvement. Currently however I don’t hit a lot of different shots. I am happy to be consistent and hit distances. I am working to further dial in accuracy. One shot I want to learn to hit is the lower flight pitch with high spin.

When I get to chipping, I likely try to hit too many different shots. I want to feel like an artist. ? What I should be doing is paint by numbers for dummies. LoL.

I carry 4 wedges and use a full shot, low flying knock down with spin, and an open stance open face one.

Back