Wearable Tech on the Course

KCSmitty

Reaction score
Handicap
All of it.
With Garmin just releasing the S62 GPS watch, Im course outside of yardage, what other features do yo use on your wearables while on the course?

My wife bought me the Garmin Fenix 6 as a gift. The watch does more than I know what do with but I have found myself now more inclined to walk on the course instead of ride. The watch has seemed to create some accountability. Another feature of the Fenix 6 is it store and can log scores, a great feature looking back through the year and of course the yardage being the prime feature.

Link to the Garmin S62

Just not real crazy about having a watch on, just haven't worn one in so long I think it would feel weird. No wearable tech for me.

I wear an S60 and like having the yardage so fast. I am still learning to use it as there is so much it can do. I also like to track my steps to keep me active.

I have the S60 and I wore it as my primary watch for a good long time. I've developed a watch habit so it's part of the rotation now but doesn't get constant wear. It's great for the basic fitness stuff, but you lose the social capabilities of everyone who wears a fitbit or apple watch. As for golf features, I use mine every round. I like to know distances to traps, hazards, etc. from the tee box, as you can't always laser them. It's also nice to get general yardages to greens as I'm usually aiming for the center and don't pull my laser on every hole. Thought I would hate the watch form factor but actually like it more than a handheld, other than the tan lines but I play golf so they're already weird.

S62 looks legit. I love the idea of more battery life. That's my main complaint about the S60 as I can't quite get 36 out of it in a single charge anymore.

EDIT: I have used it for score/stat tracking in the past, and that works great. The club distance tracking is also interesting if not a little humbling when you see the averages play out. I generally don't need all of that functionality but it's nice to have when you're breaking in new clubs or trying to work on certain parts of your game.

I wear the watch that goes with the ShotScope system and it doesn't bother me at all. It just kind of "is" after putting it on and I don't think about it. So much so in fact that at least once a round I end up running back up to the green to register my putts taken as I forget I have it on. Wearing it is a very small hinderance compared to the information I get from it both during and after the round.

I'd like something like arccos... as far as tech goes, I only have a smart phone when I'm on the course.

Just not real crazy about having a watch on, just haven't worn one in so long I think it would feel weird. No wearable tech for me.

Definitely some getting used too.

I have a fat wrist so I dont wear my Apple Watch because its constantly activating Siri.

I have the S60 and I wore it as my primary watch for a good long time. I've developed a watch habit so it's part of the rotation now but doesn't get constant wear. It's great for the basic fitness stuff, but you lose the social capabilities of everyone who wears a fitbit or apple watch. As for golf features, I use mine every round. I like to know distances to traps, hazards, etc. from the tee box, as you can't always laser them. It's also nice to get general yardages to greens as I'm usually aiming for the center and don't pull my laser on every hole. Thought I would hate the watch form factor but actually like it more than a handheld, other than the tan lines but I play golf so they're already weird.

S62 looks legit. I love the idea of more battery life. That's my main complaint about the S60 as I can't quite get 36 out of it in a single charge anymore.

EDIT: I have used it for score/stat tracking in the past, and that works great. The club distance tracking is also interesting if not a little humbling when you see the averages play out. I generally don't need all of that functionality but it's nice to have when you're breaking in new clubs or trying to work on certain parts of your game.

Battery life on my Fenix is incredible. I would be interested to compare the user-face of the Fenix vs the S60/62. I find myself fumbling around with mine sometimes more than I prefer.

Does pace of play seem to be altered for anyone wearing one?

Battery life on my Fenix is incredible. I would be interested to compare the user-face of the Fenix vs the S60/62. I find myself fumbling around with mine sometimes more than I prefer.

The interface should be very similar, and I agree that it's not as intuitive as it should be, but it gets the job done. I'm currently checking to see if there's new software as the bunker scrolling isn't available on the S60. The screen is also smaller than the Fenix series. The S62 appears to have a .1" larger screen so I'd imagine that continues. At 47mm though, it's not a small watch.

The interface should be very similar, and I agree that it's not as intuitive as it should be, but it gets the job done. I'm currently checking to see if there's new software as the bunker scrolling isn't available on the S60. The screen is also smaller than the Fenix series. The S62 appears to have a .1" larger screen so I'd imagine that continues. At 47mm though, it's not a small watch.

Neither is Fenix. Definitely some adjustment. I wear it on my left hand which is also my glove hand so at times I feel myself fitting the glove on the watch.

I thought the same prior. But after a few miscalculations on range i bought a Golf buddy. It hasn't been an issue on the contrary it has saved me a few strokes a round.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Neither is Fenix. Definitely some adjustment. I wear it on my left hand which is also my glove hand so at times I feel myself fitting the glove on the watch.
Same here. I usually push it up my wrist a bit with the glove on. I usually wear my watches a touch loose, but obviously have to tighten it up when golfing.

I thought the same prior. But after a few miscalculations on range i bought a Golf buddy. It hasn't been an issue on the contrary it has saved me a few strokes a round.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I do have a GolfBuddy gps, the little clip on kinds. I prefet my rangefinder though. Only downfall to the rangefinder is line of sight has to be clear, with the GolfBuddy you can get center of green from anywhere whether you can see it or not.

I don't even wear my wedding ring when i play...... so as cool as this is its wasted on me. Unless i hung it from my bag or something. Actually that's not a bad idea.

I don't even wear my wedding ring when i play...... so as cool as this is its wasted on me. Unless i hung it from my bag or something. Actually that's not a bad idea.

I don't wear my ring when I play either, and was the same about watches until I got the S60 as a gift. Took about a round to get over it, but if it bothers you enough to not do it, I recommend a handheld as you'll have much more screen to work with. The convenience of the watch is really that it's always with you.

I wear my Apple Watch, but don’t use it as golf tech. The app I use it much better on the phone.

I like Apple watch. I use Arccos with my phone and can also get distances on the watch so don't have to always take phone out of pocket. Tried to use phone as device that captures shots, but had some issues with it so just use watch for distances now.

Prior to Arccos I had used Golf Shot GPS which I liked a lot as well on the watch.

I have a Garmin S6 and I like it. Iv actually worn it so much its weird not having it when I play. I only use it for quick yardages as in front/center/back and keeping score instead of jacking with a score card. I leave my playing partners to handle the score card most of the time.

Now, when it comes to playing courses with large greens, then I will use my rangefinder but greens at my course as long as I know if the pin is front,center, or back I just go off the yardage and weather conditions and shoot.

Battery life is really good. I can play all day and only use half battery power.

I have a Bushnell watch which I attach to my bag. What I love about Bushnell is they have courses preloaded and a few times while with buds who have a Garmin. Mine found the course and theirs didn't.

I have a Garmin Approach S20. I'm used to wearing a watch and I like have the information on my wrist as opposed to on a device separate from my body. I just use it for yardage, that's all I need.

I have a fat wrist so I dont wear my Apple Watch because its constantly activating Siri.

I flip my watch around so the dial faces away from my wrist when I play. You have to go into settings and rotate the face but since I'm used to wearing a watch all the time including when I play its worth it to me to take that extra step.

Back