Trying to Break 100

My rehabbed SC Huntington Beach putter is on its way back from Peter (@SpaceBandito) at KickAss Clubs. It’s OUTSTANDING! Here’s some before and after photos...

dcba323f6a1c9a0e315478250fa83df0.jpg

ddc294d95c6cb0911901540a4499eb65.jpg

274e3f2ee5131a2cda58680b30aee882.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like i'm missing out on the SC stuff...I should rectify that :ROFLMAO:

One thing that has helped me, on occasion is to "re-adjust par". If you know your handicap it's relatively easy. I'm a 22 cap. That means I get an extra stroke on every hole and two strokes on the four toughest holes (as I'm sure most of you know). According to my hcp, THAT IS PAR.

Now, I know we're all trying to improve and lower "our par" but sometimes it's best to approach a hole knowing that you got a couple of stroke "in your pocket". It relieves the stress once in a while of trying to actually make par and sometimes you play the hole a lot better than you would if you're actually trying to match a scratch players par. Sometimes a different mental approach makes all the difference.

One other thing that I started doing, and it lead to WAY more rounds in the 90s, was I stopped keeping a running tally on my score. Don't get me wrong, I kept score and counted all my strokes but I didn't add any of it up until my round was over. Before I was adding up the doubles and triples and keeping a mental note after each one of what I would need to do to break 100 as the round was playing out. It was disastrous. I never ended up meeting my expectations because I SET EXPECTATIONS. Try it on your next few rounds. Play it out and then add it up. I would not be surprised to hear that your scores were a bit lower.

Solid advice here. I’ve been shooting for bogey golf for a while. It certainly helps take the stress off if I can layup on a 2nd shot into a par 4 to hit a club I’m comfortable with. Another thing I do, is look at my net score after the round. Most apps will take your HC into account, and give you a net score. If that score is close to par then: GREAT JOB! And it’s a win for the day! (Beyond just golfing, which is a win in and of itself).

I feel like i'm missing out on the SC stuff...I should rectify that :ROFLMAO:

FleaBay is your enabling friend...

shot +6 over 8 holes today as I beat the rain...irons were erratic. driver was long...only hit 50% of my FW but my average was up 10 yards off the tee. I guess that's good.

and idk what it is but my long drives (250-260) were all with the bridgestone b-xs and b-x...coincidence?

View attachment 8923188
Sounds like your really liking that BX-S.

I don’t tally my scores until my round is complete. Although I usually have a pretty good idea of how I’m scoring. One bit of advice that really helped me is think about each hole. I try and pick a good area for approach. I’ll lay up to a comfortable distance and it helps me hit more greens. Sometimes it means all I need to do is tee off with a 7 iron.

I don’t tally my scores until my round is complete. Although I usually have a pretty good idea of how I’m scoring. One bit of advice that really helped me is think about each hole. I try and pick a good area for approach. I’ll lay up to a comfortable distance and it helps me hit more greens. Sometimes it means all I need to do is tee off with a 7 iron.

Yeah, the mental game is not just about focusing on the shot, it’s about playing each hole with strategery. :) Find the best place to hit the green with a club you feel comfortable with....then execute the shot with focus. And then do It again and again, 90 or a 100 times. What’s so hard about that? :ROFLMAO:

I love my HMs! Got them fitted through my instructor, who is Mizuno certified. They will definitely give you contact feedback.

I'm looking forward to getting a feel for them, and those awesome Recoil 95 shafts!

My rehabbed SC Huntington Beach putter is on its way back from Peter (@SpaceBandito) at KickAss Clubs. It’s OUTSTANDING! Here’s some before and after photos...

dcba323f6a1c9a0e315478250fa83df0.jpg

ddc294d95c6cb0911901540a4499eb65.jpg

274e3f2ee5131a2cda58680b30aee882.jpg

That turned out amazing!!! Looks great. :love:

Possibly, but stick with it until it changes. Don't forget to monitor the other shots as much as the drives though.

The Bridgies might (as an example) be long drive friendly for your delivery, but chipping unfriendly. Or spin monsters that check immediately while you're trying bump n runs. (y)

Definitely seeing better stopping on the greens from 120-130 out. My brother was amazed at the stops I was getting this morning.

I think my bag is ready for this year. Just received shorter shaft for 5w, so it plays more or less like a hybrid @17*. Driver is shortened to 3w length.

Playing at the moment:
Thriver
5w (yet to be named)
3i Utility
4-p TM Tour Burner Irons
two wedges
Odyssey O-Works

Planning to sell the hybrids (Cobra F8 4h and 5h) as I like the consistency of irons more now that I've learned to hit long irons as well. I've been pondering about new irons, but decided not to as my current gamers, although at age of 12y, are in perfect playing condition and I can hit them. Breaking 100/90/80 here I come! :)

I think my bag is ready for this year. Just received shorter shaft for 5w, so it plays more or less like a hybrid @17*. Driver is shortened to 3w length.

Playing at the moment:
Thriver
5w (yet to be named)
3i Utility
4-p TM Tour Burner Irons
two wedges
Odyssey O-Works

Planning to sell the hybrids (Cobra F8 4h and 5h) as I like the consistency of irons more now that I've learned to hit long irons as well. I've been pondering about new irons, but decided not to as my current gamers, although at age of 12y, are in perfect playing condition and I can hit them. Breaking 100/90/80 here I come! :)
I broke 100 several times but staying under it has its challenges. You shortened you 5w and driver to 3w length. What is that length - 43.5"? Have you played it at the shorter length and if so, how is it working out?

I broke 100 several times but staying under it has its challenges. You shortened you 5w and driver to 3w length. What is that length - 43.5"? Have you played it at the shorter length and if so, how is it working out?

I do hit the fairway more often. No apparent loss of distance, I'm actually more confident and can hit with more speed and accuracy. Driver plays two inches shorter, so about 43.5" and 5w around 41.5".

Last edited:
scored 90 over 17 holes today (skipped one hole)...was a really good day for me. the driver was working well enough, 50% of FW...irons were struck well (a few errant shots) made 48% of GIR...everything felt pretty good.

Just checking in. It’s been very wet or very cold. Looking forward to spring so I can get a round in.

scored 90 over 17 holes today (skipped one hole)...was a really good day for me. the driver was working well enough, 50% of FW...irons were struck well (a few errant shots) made 48% of GIR...everything felt pretty good.
So what would that 18th hole netted? :p

played 7...finished 5 over. hit 71% GIR...FW was down to 33% (i'll attribute that to adjusting to the new shaft ;))...putting was fair enough. my new hybrid got one shot and it delivered a beautiful 172yd fade onto the green. another happy day...and another warm day to boot (66 degrees). trying to cram as many rounds in as I can before I get laid up for 4-6 wks :(

One thing that has helped me, on occasion is to "re-adjust par". If you know your handicap it's relatively easy. I'm a 22 cap. That means I get an extra stroke on every hole and two strokes on the four toughest holes (as I'm sure most of you know). According to my hcp, THAT IS PAR.

Now, I know we're all trying to improve and lower "our par" but sometimes it's best to approach a hole knowing that you got a couple of stroke "in your pocket". It relieves the stress once in a while of trying to actually make par and sometimes you play the hole a lot better than you would if you're actually trying to match a scratch players par. Sometimes a different mental approach makes all the difference.

One other thing that I started doing, and it lead to WAY more rounds in the 90s, was I stopped keeping a running tally on my score. Don't get me wrong, I kept score and counted all my strokes but I didn't add any of it up until my round was over. Before I was adding up the doubles and triples and keeping a mental note after each one of what I would need to do to break 100 as the round was playing out. It was disastrous. I never ended up meeting my expectations because I SET EXPECTATIONS. Try it on your next few rounds. Play it out and then add it up. I would not be surprised to hear that your scores were a bit lower.
I started doing this last year. It helped alleviate the stress of knowing I "had" to make a certain shot on the last couple of holes to break 100 or 95 or whatever. and added another feature-just marking the shots above par per hole. Easy to add at the end. Less math lol. When ever its a +two or +three I mark down the situation to think about it afterwards. Its usually a bad shot (which I'll always make) followed by a stupid shot. ie trying # 3 to clear the water hazard I know I can't clear rather than go the the drop zone because 2 of the other three didn't go to the drop zone

It helped. Only had 2 18's over 100 last season.

I gotta remember always-I will shoot lower scores consistently if I reduce doubles and triples rather than getting a birdie every 5th round

I started doing this last year. It helped alleviate the stress of knowing I "had" to make a certain shot on the last couple of holes to break 100 or 95 or whatever. and added another feature-just marking the shots above par per hole. Easy to add at the end. Less math lol. When ever its a +two or +three I mark down the situation to think about it afterwards. Its usually a bad shot (which I'll always make) followed by a stupid shot. ie trying # 3 to clear the water hazard I know I can't clear rather than go the the drop zone because 2 of the other three didn't go to the drop zone

It helped. Only had 2 18's over 100 last season.

I gotta remember always-I will shoot lower scores consistently if I reduce doubles and triples rather than getting a birdie every 5th round
It is all about smart playing and playing to your strengths.

One course we play has a par 3 over the water. Let's say it is around 126 or some odd number like that. I don't remember exactly, but it is a short hole, but there is water from the edge of the Tee box to right at the fringe of the green. My buddy continues to shoot his wedge and often his first shot is in the drink and the last time he was in the drink with the first two balls. I club up a tad and may hit slightly long, but I have a shot to the pin with a put or I have to lob or chip and may have a chance at birdie, par, or at worse one over.

Looking at these two approaches would indicate the smarter play. When we get to that hole though, I cannot get him to get a different club. He simply wants to hit that wedge because of the small percentage of times that he does hit it that far. Now when he approaches the hole, he pretty much says he will hit it in the water still using that wedge. That logic will rob strokes on the golf course.

Played the regular 18 hole course with my wife today. Shot a 99 and I did not think I was doing that well, but my drives were all straight and bombs, my 3 wood and 4 hybrid were pretty consistent, but my 5 hybrid was WAY left (only Calaway hybrid I had, others were M6s). So, I just ordered the final hybrid that I know I can hit, an M6 hybrid 5. My chips were 50/50, and my putts were close, but no cigar, so those two things I must work on to consistently break 100.

It’s amazing how well I can hit my hybrid on the range, only to be useless with it on the course.

After benching both of my hybrids last summer out of frustration I decided to pull my 19° out and give it another go at the range. Not only did I hit it straight but reasonably long, for me. If I can duplicate what I am doing on the range with it I may have my long approach club.

That’s preferable to chasing a solution by buying another hybrid or fairway. Only to find out I still can’t hit them.

If not it’s going back into storage.

Due to off-season, i've been honing my swing with the beforementioned training sequence. Mostly 200-600 swings a day, half of them being one-handed. I'm variating a bit, some days I train for speed, some days just tension free movement patterns. I find that especially one handed swings force me to use the momentum of the club, preventing me from manipulating or steering or "hitting the ball". On the other hand, back and forth swings improve the kinetic sequence and transition phase.

Haven't been able to measure my swing in Trackman etc, just weekly dome sessions, but I definitely see improved consistency, I very seldomly hit ground before ball anymore. Most shots are straight arrows and especially my iron game is on a different level. Playing partner commented that he's envy about the effortlessness and fluidity of my swing, he's been playing 10+ years but lacks the will power to train and exercise.

Off-season will continue at least two months, only fear I have is that can my living room carpet take the abuse :D

It’s amazing how well I can hit my hybrid on the range, only to be useless with it on the course.

After benching both of my hybrids last summer out of frustration I decided to pull my 19° out and give it another go at the range. Not only did I hit it straight but reasonably long, for me. If I can duplicate what I am doing on the range with it I may have my long approach club.

That’s preferable to chasing a solution by buying another hybrid or fairway. Only to find out I still can’t hit them.

If not it’s going back into storage.

I tried my buddy's hybrids and I could not hit them well. I hit the fairway woods better and still not good though. When I make good contact they soar, but top them too much. I am working on getting them right though because it seems that occasionally you need them.

I tried my buddy's hybrids and I could not hit them well. I hit the fairway woods better and still not good though. When I make good contact they soar, but top them too much. I am working on getting them right though because it seems that occasionally you need them.
Have you tried shorter shaft? I was mediocre with woods until I shortened it around 1.5". Now I can really step on it and still hit the ball consistently. Did the same with my driver earlier with similar results. I'm 6' 3" so not exactly vertically challenged (don't need shorter due to shortness).

Back