Trying to Break 100

what changed hitting my hybrid for me was thinking "down and through"...for me, it keeps me down and I swing through the ball...idk if that makes sense but it works for me. i'm not always straight :( but I make consistent contact now.

Due to off-season, i've been honing my swing with the beforementioned training sequence. Mostly 200-600 swings a day, half of them being one-handed. I'm variating a bit, some days I train for speed, some days just tension free movement patterns. I find that especially one handed swings force me to use the momentum of the club, preventing me from manipulating or steering or "hitting the ball". On the other hand, back and forth swings improve the kinetic sequence and transition phase.

Haven't been able to measure my swing in Trackman etc, just weekly dome sessions, but I definitely see improved consistency, I very seldomly hit ground before ball anymore. Most shots are straight arrows and especially my iron game is on a different level. Playing partner commented that he's envy about the effortlessness and fluidity of my swing, he's been playing 10+ years but lacks the will power to train and exercise.

Off-season will continue at least two months, only fear I have is that can my living room carpet take the abuse :D
Way to stay dedicated! All that work should pay off big time once the season starts!

It’s amazing how well I can hit my hybrid on the range, only to be useless with it on the course.

It’s frustrating for me because of how many people say the hybrids are so much easier to hit, but I’ve always struggled with them too.

what changed hitting my hybrid for me was thinking "down and through"...for me, it keeps me down and I swing through the ball...idk if that makes sense but it works for me. i'm not always straight :( but I make consistent contact now.

Thanks for the tip.

Have you tried shorter shaft? I was mediocre with woods until I shortened it around 1.5". Now I can really step on it and still hit the ball consistently. Did the same with my driver earlier with similar results. I'm 6' 3" so not exactly vertically challenged (don't need shorter due to shortness).
You know there is definitely something to be said about this and I do agree.

Later last year I started choking up on my driver and wow did that make a difference. I just recently got another driver from a THPer that was about an 1" shorter and I only played it a little bit the other day and found that if I choke up on that driver about a half inch and with the better head design, I was nailing some nice drives (nice for me). Some of the longest and straightest I have ever hit.

I took that driver yesterday and cut 1/2 inch off and plan to give her a go today. That driver will now play around 44.5 and normally where I place my hand will play at 44ish. The swing weight came out right where I like it. I would have tried in out yesterday but had to wait overnight for my grip to dry.

My woods are standard length and I plan to try the same thing with them. I will choke up and see how it goes and if I see a drastic improvement, they will be shortened as well. I have to make sure the lengths play exactly to my taste before cutting them. Too short is bad and too long is bad. There is a "happy" place :cool:

Consistent contact will over time make the difference though.

My rehabbed SC Huntington Beach putter is on its way back from Peter (@SpaceBandito) at KickAss Clubs. It’s OUTSTANDING! Here’s some before and after photos...

dcba323f6a1c9a0e315478250fa83df0.jpg

ddc294d95c6cb0911901540a4499eb65.jpg

274e3f2ee5131a2cda58680b30aee882.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That turned out fantastic. Congrats on such a nice piece. (y)

It’s amazing how well I can hit my hybrid on the range, only to be useless with it on the course.

After benching both of my hybrids last summer out of frustration I decided to pull my 19° out and give it another go at the range. Not only did I hit it straight but reasonably long, for me. If I can duplicate what I am doing on the range with it I may have my long approach club.

That’s preferable to chasing a solution by buying another hybrid or fairway. Only to find out I still can’t hit them.

If not it’s going back into storage.

Hybrids are hook monsters for me. I just don't have confidence in my one hybrid to take it out it of the bag while on the course.

Hybrids are hook monsters for me. I just don't have confidence in my one hybrid to take it out it of the bag while on the course.

My problem with hybrids is making solid contact. I hit it fine at the range, then shank or top the ball in actual play.

My problem with hybrids is making solid contact. I hit it fine at the range, then shank or top the ball in actual play.

I'm fine with contact with it, it's directionally challenged for me. :LOL: My 3 wood is contact challenged, whereas my 5 wood seems I can't miss with it, launch bombs with that one.

First round of 2020 in the books. It's the first time I've played since the Unofficial Arizona Outing in early December. Played to my cap, which I guess is O.K.

Started the round really decent and ended up shooting a 42 on the front. I'll take 6 over on the front as as 22+ cap all day long. I caught up with a couple of guys who asked if I wanted to join them on #7. Of course, I flubbed my tee shot on the par 3 and ended up carding a 5. Played the next two holes to close out the front 9 at 1 over. I actually had a long eagle putt on the ninth but ended up going stupid and played it safe to an eventual 3 putt par.

Then it all fell apart. I carded a 9 on #10 with two shots O.B. from the tee box (more on that later). My iron game was WAY off on the back nine. But the new 58* CBX saved my ass so many times today. That thing is going to be a straight up weapon for me this year. Putter was decent. Only two three putts all day, so I'll take that. I was rolling it with pretty good pace and both three putts came from over 50 feet. Both 2nd putts on those holes were within inches of the cup. Way too many 5s and 6s just killed me on the back today. My iron game is, typically, the strongest part of my game but I just wouldn't trust my alignment and fire away. I second guessed every shot that I set up to with the irons. Recipe for disaster.

What I did trust my alignment with, today, was the driver. I hit more solid driver shots today than I have in a long, long, time. I started to figure out (a little bit) where I have been setting myself up for failure for such a long time with my alignment. I was just putting too much trust in my lying eyes. Once I trusted where I was aiming (even though my eyes were telling me "You're aimed WAY too far right" as a lefty), I just ignored what my eyes were telling me and fired away. My ONLY disaster hole with the driver was #10 and one of the guys that I was playing with pointed out that on THAT hole I was standing too far away from my ball. He was right. I didn't miss another fairway with that club the rest of the day. To top it off, I moved back a box from my regular tees because I was determined (score be damned) to put that club in play today. So, not only did I shoot to my cap, but I did it from a longer tee box.

Even though my scorecard didn't reflect it, I made some significant strides today. I ended up shooting a 52 on the back for a total of 94 (right at my cap) which I'll take with the long layoff. I fully expected to shoot over 100 since I haven't actually played in almost 7 weeks. The iron game will return. I'm certain of that, and this cap is coming down this year, baby. Can't wait to play again!!!!

I'm fine with contact with it, it's directionally challenged for me. :LOL: My 3 wood is contact challenged, whereas my 5 wood seems I can't miss with it, launch bombs with that one.

If the next try with the hybrid fails I may try a 4 wood.

I have to re-tally my score from yesterday, but around mid 90s, which I am happy about because the course we were playing has always been a nemesis to me and I have never scored that low on that course. I am usually in the 100 or + on that course. The course was water saturated as it had rained most of the night. Greens were sopping wet. It is a hilly course which did allow us play, but we had to watch everywhere we went and watch where our balls were going or we would be hitting from soggy areas.

Started off 3 over on the first hole (par 5 with second shot over water) and was thinking, ugghhh...this ain't looking good, but soon came alive with some really decent shots. Decided not to take the crazy risk and only play safeties if needed, which paid off. Next hole was a par 3, landed just short of the green, I duffed a chip and wound up 2 over. I was struggling to get under double-bogies. I think I had only 3 bogies on the front 9.

So fast forward 4 holes to #5 - I shot a nice long drive and then a second shot over the water onto the green. There was a walker on the next green celebrating my shot and holding his hands up. Yes, on that course if you get that shot on #5 on the green you celebrate. The green was over water and up on a hill with two greenside bunkers. The green has a low place in it and was heavily water saturated and deep foot tracks everywhere from previous golfers. It was like putting over small ridges, but that is still no excuse for what happened.

So here I am on that green in 2 strokes sitting at the far end fringe (par 4) abour 20' out thinking birdie and certainly confident in a par. The first putt was about 10' short! I am thinking what happened, but ok, no problem, I got this. Then I putt past the hole about 6'. For whatever reason, 4, YES 4 putts, NOT EVEN 3! For most of the round I was 1 and 2 putting - why a 4 putt on that hole. The next hole I putted fine.

No excuse in the book will suffice. I simply got dogged and scorched on a difficult hole that should have been birdie, or no less a par.

Crazy couple of weeks. Lots of golf and football. Getting closer to 100 - hit, 105, 106 and 104. With this trend I'll break 100 this year.

I was thinking about something on breaking 100. What about lengths of rounds as that affects scores big time. If I play around 6200-6500 I rarely will crack 100 (sometimes but not as often). If I play 5600 to around 5800 my chances of playing low to mid 90s is greatly increased. The last time I played shorter length I scored a 92 or 93. So I am guessing that is an important variable for us 100 strokers. At least for me it makes a difference.

Nice. Sprayers off the tee might have some headaches, though.
I was just looking at that and thinking I would be in some amount of trouble around there!

I was thinking about something on breaking 100. What about lengths of rounds as that affects scores big time. If I play around 6200-6500 I rarely will crack 100 (sometimes but not as often). If I play 5600 to around 5800 my chances of playing low to mid 90s is greatly increased. The last time I played shorter length I scored a 92 or 93. So I am guessing that is an important variable for us 100 strokers. At least for me it makes a difference.

I break this rule frequently, so understand that my position is not from the soapbox, but I had a pro tell me once that I should play the farthest men's box forward until I can consistently shoot in the 80s. I shot my personal best from that box, 82, (black on my home course, typically whites on most others) playing a 4 iron off of every tee except two (the two holes where it's almost impossible to go OB).

I'm breaking the rule, lately, because I'm determined to put my driver in play and, a lot of times, the driver is the wrong play from that box for me. But I'll be back there, no doubt.

I was wacking the ball on Friday 250 yards, so I don't think playing the heals (opposite of tips) would work for me. I have guys giving me guff for playing the white tees (6,272 yards), but that seems to be the proper spot for me (tips, blue, white, yellow). Oh, shot a 99 (my second time breaking 100) and my new M6 Hybrid 5 just arrived. Now I have almost a complete M6 driver/fairwood/hybrid playable set IMO.

I was wacking the ball on Friday 250 yards, so I don't think playing the heals (opposite of tips) would work for me. I have guys giving me guff for playing the white tees, but that is the proper spot for me (tips, blue, white, yellow, kids). Oh, shot a 99 (my second time breaking 100) and my new M6 Hybrid 5 just arrived. Now I have almost a complete M6 driver/fairwood/hybrid playable set IMO.

Don't worry about people trying to pick your tees. Play where you're comfortable and where you have the most fun. Keep at it and you'll be posting in the "Breaking 90" thread soon enough.

Don't worry about people trying to pick your tees. Play where you're comfortable and where you have the most fun. Keep at it and you'll be posting in the "Breaking 90" thread soon enough.
Thanks, I started playing last March and my scores were averaging around 110, and now the average is 102 (with a 92 and a 99 thrown in), so things are looking up by coming down. I am hitting my driver further also, must be getting stronger or better technique.

Thanks, I started playing last March and my scores were averaging around 110, and now the average is 102 (with a 92 and a 99 thrown in), so things are looking up by coming down. I am hitting my driver further also, must be getting stronger or better technique.

Gotta be technique. Strength will help once your swing is repeatable and you're getting a good ball flight, but strength won't fix a bad swing. I think I shot even 90 after about 9 months, but it was over another year before I shot 89.

I had been shooting in the 90s but y last 2 scores were 110 and 111. Ready for a refresh

When I play with my regular Sunday group, they play from our 2nd to front tees(whites) and I play those tees with them. When I play on my own, I am playing one tee box back from that one(blues). I score essentially the same on box tee boxes. The difference for me is when I play the whites, my wedges are more in play. With blues, my approach irons get more use. They both wash each other out due to my poor putting. :dohanim:

Took advantage of a mild day here in NJ to get in nine holes. As I’m still very much a beginner, I tried using a more “traditional” club grip today to see what would happen.

Good news is I shot a 49. Bad news is that it was the ugliest sub-50 I’ve had in awhile. I had at least four shots that instead of going up in the air were grounders that just happened to go far:(. Didn’t hit behind the ball as much today which was nice but I was still hitting the ground with my driver occasionally and only hit a handful of “good” irons shots. Thank goodness I seem to know how to putt not horribly - hit a bunch of 5-10 ft putts to keep the sub-50 drive alive.

Really cannot wait for lessons to start in April.

Took advantage of a mild day here in NJ to get in nine holes. As I’m still very much a beginner, I tried using a more “traditional” club grip today to see what would happen.

Good news is I shot a 49. Bad news is that it was the ugliest sub-50 I’ve had in awhile. I had at least four shots that instead of going up in the air were grounders that just happened to go far:(. Didn’t hit behind the ball as much today which was nice but I was still hitting the ground with my driver occasionally and only hit a handful of “good” irons shots. Thank goodness I seem to know how to putt not horribly - hit a bunch of 5-10 ft putts to keep the sub-50 drive alive.

Really cannot wait for lessons to start in April.
Good scores for beginning. Keep up the good work!

I shot 74 on my local par 59 executive course today. However I walked it with my push cart, and now I feel like a guy who has been moving pianos all day. It was fun though.

Back