Cleveland CG16 Wedge Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan H is back with a new review...

Cleveland Golf fittingly named 2010 “The Year of the Wedge”, largely due to the fact that 2010 was the last year they could produce wedges with the larger box grooves. There was a big push for consumers to stock up while the old grooves were still being manufactured. Now that it’s 2011, Cleveland has moved on and released their latest wedge, the CG16, which conforms to the USGA’s condition of competition. The CG16 is a continuation of sorts to the CG14 line, and should not to be confused as a replacement for the CG15. The two lines have some pretty significant differences that I will touch on more later on in the review. So, how did Cleveland do with their first offering the year after The Year of the Wedge?

Read More

Last edited:
Ryan H is back with a new review...

Cleveland Golf fittingly named 2010 “The Year of the Wedge”, largely due to the fact that 2010 was the last year they could produce wedges with the larger box grooves. There was a big push for consumers to stock up while the old grooves were still being manufactured. Now that it’s 2011, Cleveland has moved on and released their latest wedge, the CG16, which conforms to the USGA’s condition of competition. The CG16 is a continuation of sorts to the CG14 line, and should not to be confused as a replacement for the CG15. The two lines have some pretty significant differences that I will touch on more later on in the review. So, how did Cleveland do with their first offering the year after The Year of the Wedge?

[Read More]

JB - I cant click the 'Read More' hyperlink. I tried on IE and FF, nothing happens. I want to see how these bad boys compare to the 588s!

• Admin
See if that fixed it.

Good stuff. This makes me want to try them out.

Solid review Hawk! I think you summed these up perfectly when you said that they offer versatility, but with a touch of forgiveness. I think that deep down we could all benefit by having those characteristics in our golf bags.

Well done.

Great review! I did the wedge fitting system and it gave me a different loft setup of what I have now. I might have to look in to changing things around and the CG 16s might be part of that. Thanks.

Thanks! I've been thinking about forgiveness a bunch lately and I think that it's extremely valuable to my game. The only real worry that people could have is the possibility of losing some of the characteristics like versatility, different bounce options, and feel that are so valued in wedges. I really feel like these put those worries to rest. I need forgiveness and you know I like my wedges, so I was really happy to get a chance to spend time with these guys.

Nice review Hawk! Sounds like these wedges excel at all sorts of shots and shouldn’t be passed up if someone is looking for new wedges in 2011. Good stuff

Well done Hawk and I can vouch they have quickly become good friends with my game. I have not perfected them by any means but they are forgiving and fun to play. The more course time I have with them the better they feel. I would highly recommend them as they certainly perform and forgiveness is good!

Love the review Hawk! I'm so pumped to get these wedges out once I get my hands on them lol. I absolutely love the CG14 line and while it's not of the CG15 those were some of my favorites as well. Cant wait to see what the CG16's are like! Well done my friend!

These will be at the outing again, of course, so those of you who haven't tried them will be able to.

Great review Hawk! I was curious about the cavity back on these and how they effected performance. I have to agree with others about liking that they offer some forgiveness.

Very nice review. The forgiveness sounds like a benefit many golfers could take advantage of.

Any thoughts on whether changing to a DG Spinner shaft would be a big improvement, especially with trajectory control, on the 16s? I normally hit my wedges too high so I'm concerned about that but I like the trajectory control with my MP T11 SW.

This was a great review Hawk! I really liked my CG14 50* wedge and the CG16s were some of the best at the last Outing. I'm looking forward to taking a few more swings with them again in May?

You had an xFT wedge right? What are you thoughts between the two?

hmmm, its a continuation of the CG14 line with its cavity and slightly larger size. I use a cg14 for my GW and a CG15 for my Sw (58*). The Cg14 is already 2-3 years old, it might be time to replace that bad boy. (you can only resharpen those grooves so many times I guess)

Once again Hawk gives a solid great review.

Dear Cleveland,

Stop making awesome product that my owner feels compelled to buy. I enjoy squating in the warm darkness that is a pocket and firmly loathe being pulled out into the cruel, cold world.

Signed,
A Wallet

Great writeup, I cant remember the last time I didnt have a Cleveland Wedge

Any thoughts on whether changing to a DG Spinner shaft would be a big improvement, especially with trajectory control, on the 16s? I normally hit my wedges too high so I'm concerned about that but I like the trajectory control with my MP T11 SW.

This is something that I've been contemplating as well. I know that JB enjoys the Spinner shaft in his CG15 quite a bit. It's something I've considered doing sometime down the road.

This was a great review Hawk! I really liked my CG14 50* wedge and the CG16s were some of the best at the last Outing. I'm looking forward to taking a few more swings with them again in May?

You had an xFT wedge right? What are you thoughts between the two?

I did (still do) have the xFT and think it's a very solid wedge. The reason that the CG16 wins out (for me), is the added forgiveness and the larger face seems to be easier for me to hit.

hmmm, its a continuation of the CG14 line with its cavity and slightly larger size. I use a cg14 for my GW and a CG15 for my Sw (58*). The Cg14 is already 2-3 years old, it might be time to replace that bad boy. (you can only resharpen those grooves so many times I guess)

Once again Hawk gives a solid great review.

Thanks, Snap Hook. The one thing I like about this wedge over the CG14 is the cleanness of the cavity. I'm not a big fan of the plastic insert in the back of the 14.

I did (still do) have the xFT and think it's a very solid wedge. The reason that the CG16 wins out (for me), is the added forgiveness and the larger face seems to be easier for me to hit.

Can't disagree with that at all. I was a huge fan of the CG16s at the outing. Very easy to hit. I scored a sweet deal on my xFTs otherwise I'd be very tempted, but I will be sticking with the xFTs. You can't really go wrong with either IMO.

They were my two favorites at the outing.

Can't disagree with that at all. I was a huge fan of the CG16s at the outing. Very easy to hit. I scored a sweet deal on my xFTs otherwise I'd be very tempted, but I will be sticking with the xFTs. You can't really go wrong with either IMO.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Back