Cell Phones On The Course: Does It Bug You

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
I have to say that most of the time people who use their cell phones on the course don't bother me. What does is the people who are constantly on the phone for whatever reason and won't stop. They hold up the game get you mad at them and generally spoil the round for me. So what bug you about people who use their cell phones on the course?

Playing golf with clients/prospect means business doesnt stop... Use earbuds for conference call and if you have to take a call pick up n move on.
#readygolf

I use mine in the course. I don’t really have much choice as 90% or more of making my living is tied to my phone. Now generally I play alone and if I have to take a call I just step off out the way and let anyone in by. I have never had it come up and be an issue when I am out with a group. I can usually tell by who is calling though how important the call is and how long it will take. Sometimes I can take a quick one while going from one shot to the next and other times I may wait for a break in action at the turn or something. It all just varies.

I use mine in the course. I don’t really have much choice as 90% or more of making my living is tied to my phone. Now generally I play alone and if I have to take a call I just step off out the way and let anyone in by. I have never had it come up and be an issue when I am out with a group. I can usually tell by who is calling though how important the call is and how long it will take. Sometimes I can take a quick one while going from one shot to the next and other times I may wait for a break in action at the turn or something. It all just varies.

I can understand that. I've a friend who is barber who I play golf with once in awhile and his phone rings off the hook sometimes, but he does understand we are on the golf course and tries to limit the conversations when he can.

Nope. Not if you’re keeping pace, or letting others through if you’re having to take an extended call.

Not As long as they’re silent/quiet about it

Doesn’t bother me so long as you’re keeping pace or picking up.
There are times when I’m obligated to be tied to my work phone so I’m thankful my playing buddies are also understanding. Though I always make sure to give a heads up before the round starts that I’ve got my phone on.

nope. I take calls from my wife and daughter regularly. I don’t hold up play, and don’t distract my partners. In our work league it’s pretty common to see people on conference calls.

I don't care if you are on your phone as long as:
1. You don't slow up the group
2. Make your being on the phone interfere with others being on the course

If you are behind me on a tee box yapping loudly on the phone, we have a problem.
I have, in the past, ran off a green with my phone to take a call to get as far away from my group as possible. That day I bought a house while on the course lol.

Yeah it annoys me. But I understand if some people have to do business. But have some tact and decency about it. It's the rude people that talk loud, don't turn on vibrate so it rings full volume in the middle of your backswing, that I can't stand. I guess it's the nature of my job that makes it easy to get away. If I'm at the course, even my wife knows not to call.me unless it's an emergency. no call from work is ever going to be that important that they cant leave a message and I return their call later. My thought is if you think you dont have the time to dedicate to a 5 hour round of golf, then either turn your phone on vibrate, or don't play. Now some people will take this the wrong way ... I don't care, call me old school I guess. We got along fine before there were cell phones and business still got done and the world survived. People rely too much on technology these days and in my opinion will be the downfall of the human race. I will happily be gone from this great blue planet of ours before that time comes but hey ... that's for another thread. (y);)

Not a big deal, turn the ringer off though. Take your call, but keep up.

bugs me...put it away

My buddies wouldn't be able to play (for the most part) during the week if they couldn't have their phones on in case a call comes in. If they do need to answer the phone, it's typically a quick call and not really a nuisance. Now, when someone feels like I need to hear every word in their conversation and use that loud "cell phone voice", it gets pretty old quickly to me.

I'm on my phone a lot, technically. It's all silent activity though. Not a fan of ringers/notifications you can hear or people taking more than a couple minute call, usually. I get that's not an option for everyone, but playing when you have to work is a choice. I try to keep my personal choices from affecting others in public situations, and I prefer they do too.

Doesn't bother me as long as it's not holding others up.

I had a playing partner say something recently. I explained that the phone is in airplane mode and I am using it for gps (arccos) just like he uses his watch. People talking loudly on the phone or not having the ringer silent can bug me if it happens when others are hitting. But as long as the person using the phone is courteous, I applaud the ability for them to make those Benjamin’s while they play.

Cell phones don't bother me on the course. Without it, I wouldn't be able to track my stats.

Only when someone doesn’t silence their ringer heck yeah it bothers me.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'use' a cell phone.

If it's like 15 years ago when 'use' meant voice calls (often loudly), I get it. Unless it's an emergency or a 'must take' call for work, there is no reason to have a voice call on the coursel. And when you do, it should be quiet, short and taken in a way not to be a distraction.

95% of the cell phone use I see on the course is not voice-related. They may be texting, checking work email, using a golf app - who knows what. At that point, I really don't care as it's not impacting the round unless they are doing it when it's their turn to play.

From a courtesy perspective, I could say you shouldn't do it to the detriment of your playing partners. But in a 4 hour round, I think it's pretty easy to juggle social interaction with silent cell phone use.

I don’t mind casual use but I get annoyed when someone is on their phone a lot during play. My brother does it a lot and it gets annoying. We’re out there to enjoy the round.

It doesn't bother me unless it slows up the pace.
I play with a bunch of seniors (we're all in our 70's or older) so half the time we don't hear the cell phone ring anyway!

For me, same rules apply with cell phones on golf courses as the rules off them. Take care of your business but don't get in people's way

I use Arrcos so take mine out to set pin and first putt distance when i finish the hole. I don't care if someone uses theirs as long as they keep pace and are quiet. Played with a guy one time who got a call and answered it on the green in speakerphone mode.:mad:

I don't care. It's the other person's life on the other end so no reason for me to get annoyed. Noise doesn't bother me either. I am super easy to get along with and be around. You gotta do something pretty crappy to get me riled up.

I use Arrcos so take mine out to set pin and first putt distance when i finish the hole. I don't care if someone uses theirs as long as they keep pace and are quiet. Played with a guy one time who got a call and answered it on the green in speakerphone mode.:mad:

Speakerphone use should always be limited to a room you’re alone in, or a conference room where multiple people need to listen/talk. Get a headset or hold the phone, I don’t need to hear your conversation, ever.

Back