Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

staying with my Epic Flash....

3146A45E-F72F-4033-A634-B83F25D60894.jpeg

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Got my Sub Zero in time to play it for a quick cold 9 this afternoon/evening and it went about how I expected from my testing. When I threw my golf bag in the truck this morning I forgot to throw in a couple shafts though, so I had to play with the Rogue White X I ordered with it that doesn't suit me.

Good carry numbers for crap conditions and really taking it easy with the swing. Long week and cold weather didn't have me wanting to use much lower half. Got punished for one low toe side hit, but otherwise really solid. All the rest were longer than my 272 average last year. I had planned on playing the 10.5 turned down to 9.5, and did, but I'm curious to try it at the actual 10.5 on a similar day and see if there's much difference for me. I had played a round with and monitor tested the 9* originally.

I don't like what I hear and read about the Sub Zero needing some ridiculous swing speed to perform. It's in a couple popular youtube reviews where they test the various ones and when they get to the sub spin gets real low, shots flatten out, and dispersion goes to hell. They immediately say that you really need 'the speed' to play that club. I'd argue that you just need to play the center of the face, and have your spin not be too low. I try to stay around 105 mph and it fits me just fine.

Last edited:
And props to Callaway. Ordered 1” short and came in dead nuts on D3.

Got my Sub Zero in time to play it for a quick cold 9 this afternoon/evening and it went about how I expected from my testing. When I threw my golf bag in the truck this morning I forgot to throw in a couple shafts though, so I had to play with the Rogue White X I ordered with it that doesn't suit me.

Good carry numbers for crap conditions and really taking it easy with the swing. Long week and cold weather didn't have me wanting to use much lower half. Got punished for one low toe side hit, but otherwise really solid. All the rest were longer than my 272 average last year. I had planned on playing the 10.5 turned down to 9.5, and did, but I'm curious to try it at the actual 10.5 on a similar day and see if there's much difference for me. I had played a round with and monitor tested the 9* originally.

I don't like what I hear and read about the Sub Zero needing some ridiculous swing speed to perform. It's in a couple popular youtube reviews where they test the various ones and when they get to the sub spin gets real low, shots flatten out, and dispersion goes to hell. They immediately say that you really need 'the speed' to play that club. I'd argue that you just need to play the center of the face, and have your spin not be too low. I try to stay around 105 mph and it fits me just fine.

IMHO, many YT reviewers use the wrong loft and wrong shaft. Look at James Robinson as an example; he tested a 9° with Rogue 130 Stiff. By the numbers, the club was good however his miss, a low pull, made dispersion look bad and affected his averages. Had he gone to the 10.5° head with the same shaft his carry would likely improve due to the extra spin keeping the ball in the air better and his dispersion should tighten up a shade. So for me, his M SZ review showed what a poorly fit club can do.

I had a similar issue with my Mavrik SZ and Diamana ZF. Too little spin. Enter Diamana BF and voila, more carry, better distance, straighter ball flight and one happy camper swinging the club.

Now that Ive had a few more sim sessions under my belt and the Mavrik is also in stores for those impromptu testing sessions, I've got a good amount of feedback. Prior to the Grandaddy I have been playing a Srixon z545 driver paired with the ATTAS Coool 7x shaft. Up until now I have had pretty good luck with my old driver, and while good swings are rewarded, poor swings can be severely punished. Full disclosure, I quite possibly may have worst slice in the history of the grandaddy as @Snickerdog can attest to, so if you fight a slice this will be something to watch throughout the season, as I keep making updates. My swing speed floats around ~105+ but can easily go up/down 3-5 mph, I have a pretty aggressive transition and a steep AOA. All things that I have been working on, but still have a long way to go. So while extra distance would be nice, my main concerns going into the fitting, aside from the cars in the parking lot, were spin and dispersion. After the fitting at ECPC I ended up with the Mavrik Max 9* set 8 (-1 D) with the Tensei AV Blue shaft in X-stiff for the draw bias and extra forgiveness. On one of the podcasts I believe they said with the weight in the heel you can get as much as 20yds of flight correction, and I plan using every bit of it.

Sound wise, it has been great, I have often avoided carbon crown drivers in the last few years but with the AI sound improvements I have no issues with that at all.

Now on to some data where it shines. Ignoring the other data points in my first session I wanted to look at overall dispersion. As nice as a 300 yd drive down the pipe is, that is not something that is going to happen for me regularly, so all my strokes gained (on my avg) next year are going to be largely from me hitting more fairways. I am going to keep tracking all this in several configurations as the year goes on, but based on what I am seeing so far I am extremely pleased. The first plot graph is my old driver, the second plot graph is the new Mavrik Max. Enough said. I've purposely removed the yardage markers as I want people to look at this strictly from a dispersion point of view. Whether you are capable of carrying 200 or 340 is irrelevant for this data point, but if you are squirrelly off the tee and fight a slice or loss of ball speed from off center hits you should definitely check the Max out.

1580529903887.jpeg
1580529954482.jpeg

Are the 2 weights on the Mavrik Max driver marked ? I was looking at one today and I didn't notice any markings on the weights. Just wondering if there is an easy way to tell them apart.

Are the 2 weights on the Mavrik Max driver marked ? I was looking at one today and I didn't notice any markings on the weights. Just wondering if there is an easy way to tell them apart.

should be engraved on the stem of the screw.

I’m getting excited - I’m really hoping it makes the bag this year.

should be engraved on the stem of the screw.

Thanks

Now that Ive had a few more sim sessions under my belt and the Mavrik is also in stores for those impromptu testing sessions, I've got a good amount of feedback. Prior to the Grandaddy I have been playing a Srixon z545 driver paired with the ATTAS Coool 7x shaft. Up until now I have had pretty good luck with my old driver, and while good swings are rewarded, poor swings can be severely punished. Full disclosure, I quite possibly may have worst slice in the history of the grandaddy as @Snickerdog can attest to, so if you fight a slice this will be something to watch throughout the season, as I keep making updates. My swing speed floats around ~105+ but can easily go up/down 3-5 mph, I have a pretty aggressive transition and a steep AOA. All things that I have been working on, but still have a long way to go. So while extra distance would be nice, my main concerns going into the fitting, aside from the cars in the parking lot, were spin and dispersion. After the fitting at ECPC I ended up with the Mavrik Max 9* set 8 (-1 D) with the Tensei AV Blue shaft in X-stiff for the draw bias and extra forgiveness. On one of the podcasts I believe they said with the weight in the heel you can get as much as 20yds of flight correction, and I plan using every bit of it.

Sound wise, it has been great, I have often avoided carbon crown drivers in the last few years but with the AI sound improvements I have no issues with that at all.

Now on to some data where it shines. Ignoring the other data points in my first session I wanted to look at overall dispersion. As nice as a 300 yd drive down the pipe is, that is not something that is going to happen for me regularly, so all my strokes gained (on my avg) next year are going to be largely from me hitting more fairways. I am going to keep tracking all this in several configurations as the year goes on, but based on what I am seeing so far I am extremely pleased. The first plot graph is my old driver, the second plot graph is the new Mavrik Max. Enough said. I've purposely removed the yardage markers as I want people to look at this strictly from a dispersion point of view. Whether you are capable of carrying 200 or 340 is irrelevant for this data point, but if you are squirrelly off the tee and fight a slice or loss of ball speed from off center hits you should definitely check the Max out.

View attachment 8926063
View attachment 8926064
The dispersion on the max is unreal!

F7F98413-3099-4BF5-BE6E-672397C8A0D0.jpeg

9F9169DF-27D8-4AE4-A4BC-69B6D4CF4F67.jpeg

:unsure::unsure::unsure::p

Well this is interesting (h/t @jonathanrwall)

9735a3577890d2068eab5b9717b81fa4.jpg

Tried to play this morning but got rained out on #8, used the Rogue 60X and I am not a fan. Not going to put to much thought into this morning as it was drizzling or raining the whole time and I was not in the best of moods. Tight back and just stiff overall from traveling all week.

But I hit it on 6 holes and only 1 was a decent drive, the rest were all high right and not nearly as long as the Flash SZ TD. Tried the Heavy weight forward for the 1st 3 holes and back the next 3, Heavy forward felt and seemed to work better. (which the numbers showed as best)

I was going to send the Flash off this morning for the trade but now I am going to wait and see how tomorrow goes with the GD BB 7X in the Mavrik which is what gave me the numbers that inspired the purchase anyway.

Tried to play this morning but got rained out on #8, used the Rogue 60X and I am not a fan. Not going to put to much thought into this morning as it was drizzling or raining the whole time and I was not in the best of moods. Tight back and just stiff overall from traveling all week.

But I hit it on 6 holes and only 1 was a decent drive, the rest were all high right and not nearly as long as the Flash SZ TD. Tried the Heavy weight forward for the 1st 3 holes and back the next 3, Heavy forward felt and seemed to work better. (which the numbers showed as best)

I was going to send the Flash off this morning for the trade but now I am going to wait and see how tomorrow goes with the GD BB 7X in the Mavrik which is what gave me the numbers that inspired the purchase anyway.
Did you hit the standard or Max, Jim? I can’t recall.

James I hit them all with my shaft and with the Rogue 60 X or 70 X and the SZ was far and away the best for me on that day. I will see tomorrow what the deal is on a tight Course with my Shaft in it.

As I said it was not a good morning to test anything, but I was hoping to see a couple of monsters and did not see any at all with the Rogue. I was not hitting anything well except the 17* Super Hybrid which with the heavier weight was a gas to hit. So it could just have been one of those mornings and really meant nothing about the Driver. I still have hopes....

I’m amazed how much more comfortable putting the Riptide 60x in both heads playing 44.75 vs 45.75 is for me.

I’m amazed how much more comfortable putting the Riptide 60x in both heads playing 44.75 vs 45.75 is for me.
Did they use heavier weights to swing weight the max? Or, do you think they used hotmelt?

Back