Trying to Break 100

This is great advice, but very difficult to follow for some (myself included). The more competitive we are, I think the more difficult it becomes. I know that now, sitting at ~12, I'd have a hard time looking at the #9-12 handicap holes as bogey holes most of the time. I think our expectations are based too much on our best instead of our expected.

I completely agree, and I look at some holes the same way despite my 9 handicap - It is more about not getting too disappointed with a score on holes where your handicap allowance gives you shots to play with

After playing very little and making no effort to improve for the last couple of years I’ve decided to resume the quest this year. I played for the first time in 2020 on Friday and shot a dismal 117 on a VERY easy course. It was pretty demoralizing. I have a lesson scheduled for Friday, and I’m hoping I mesh with this instructor better than I did the one I took lessons from a few years ago. If I’m gonna keep playing this game I really need some help. I’m just lost out there.

It was pretty demoralizing
I hate rounds like that. I can handle a bad score as long as there was a sliver of encouragement somewhere. But when my swings is nowhere to be found, "demoralizing" is the perfect way to describe it. It's just mind-numbing. But then things start to pick up a little and you realize you can bounce back from it.

Keep us posted on your progress and let us know how it goes with the new instructor.

I hate rounds like that. I can handle a bad score as long as there was a sliver of encouragement somewhere. But when my swings is nowhere to be found, "demoralizing" is the perfect way to describe it. It's just mind-numbing. But then things start to pick up a little and you realize you can bounce back from it.

Keep us posted on your progress and let us know how it goes with the new instructor.

It really didn’t hit me until I added up my score at the end. I had two really bad holes...a 10 on a par 5 and an 8 on a par 3 (two balls in the water on each of them). Aside from that it was a lot of double bogeys, which are normal for me. Usually, though, they’re interspersed with some bogeys and a par or two (and a birdie once in a blue moon). I only had one bogey, though. Everything else was double or worse. I haven’t played that bad of a round in a long time.

I haven’t played that bad of a round in a long time.

Hopefully, it was just an off day for you. Doesn't sound like you've played in at least a month. Have you been hitting at the range or anything? If not, a bad round seems predictable, at least in my world. Even if when I cut down the full swing practice to work more on my short game, that lack of practice shows up on the course.

My first round of the year is ALWAYS an abomination. It takes several rounds before I start hitting my average score - and that's on short or easy courses. It's usually not until July when I feel like I'm playing as well as I probably can.

Try to stay positive and see how it goes the next few rounds. Good luck.

Well, my peeps, I told y’all a big fat lie. Mentioned getting a group together for Sunday, and pop-in-law said nope, you’re playing with us. So, as to not irritate my sugar daddy, I acquiesced. I’ll need to come out for the next AZ gathering.

Regardless of your handicap, learning to minimise your mistakes is always going to help your score - if you put your tee shot in the trees and have a slim chance of hitting the green or a high chance of making things worse, take your medicine and play the safe shot and get the ball back in to play

Another thing you can think about is if you are 200yds from the green, don't necessarily think you have to go for it with a long iron/hybrid/FW and instead think about playing 2 simple 100yd shots with a PW for example, especially if there are hazards around the green
Now if you struggle with contact in general, then this might not always work, but in theory, playing 2 PW shots should have a higher success rate than 1 shot with a long club

My final bit of advice - ignore the par figure on the scorecard. Just because the scorecard says it is a par 4 doesn't mean you should expect to be on the green in 2 shots and have a birdie chance or par putt at worst. No offence intended to anyone in this thread, but I have often seen higher handicap players stand on the tee of a difficult hole and still think they should make a par and be disappointed with a double-bogey, when in reality it is a nett par for them based on their handicap
A friend of mine plays off 22, but there are still times when we play in a competition together that I have to remind him that there are a few holes still where he has 2 shots to use for his handicap, and I will always tell him to make use of them as a bogey is still a nett birdie
^ Great advice.

Example: Hole #18 on my home course is a short, downhill par 5. After my tee shot, I'm usually anywhere from 170-210 yards to the green, but there's trouble all around it. Short and to the right is a big, deep bunker; the fairway near the green feeds left, and all along the left side is unplayable lies/opportunities for lost balls; behind the green is either an unplayable lie/lost ball or OB. I used to always go for it in two, but about 80-90% of the time it ended up blowing up the hole for me. I've started laying up instead - hitting a nice, easy shot to within 40-60 yards of the green and leaving myself a simple pitch to get it on the fat part of the green in regulation. I end up with a lot more pars (and the occasional birdie or bogey) that way, instead of the double bogey or worse I used to often face when going for it in two and having to take penalty strokes (or worse yet, stroke and distance). Just one example of a hole I used to ruin a lot of scores on.

Well, my peeps, I told y’all a big fat lie. Mentioned getting a group together for Sunday, and pop-in-law said nope, you’re playing with us. So, as to not irritate my sugar daddy, I acquiesced. I’ll need to come out for the next AZ gathering.
No worries man. Hopefully we will all be playing for a long time to come.

No worries. We'll find another time.

I'm a little hurt that pop in-law didn't invite the rest of us to join you guys ?

I still got nothin’.
In Ca helping my mom out cause she broke her arm and like has bed rest for 3 weeks after getting thrown off a dog sled in Norway and I think I will break 100 next weekend

What in the wide, wide world of sports was she doing on a dog sled?

Why not? My mom is a free spirit who goes to Norway alone because she can, that is why she is awesome if not that athletically gifted

What in the wide, wide world of sports was she doing on a dog sled?

I hear that being said in your best Slim Pickens voice.

Why not? My mom is a free spirit who goes to Norway alone because she can, that is why she is awesome if not that athletically gifted

Sounds like she had fun - right up to the landing. Hope she heals up quickly & enjoy your time with her.

It’s my golf day. Hopefully what we discovered in my lesson gets me back on track this week. I’ll keep ya posted.

It’s my golf day. Hopefully what we discovered in my lesson gets me back on track this week. I’ll keep ya posted.
Just relax and have fun, and you will already be ahead of the game.

Just relax and have fun, and you will already be ahead of the game.
Tale of 2 nines. Everything started to improve on the back. Putting improved due to hitting it closer to the hole.
A04046EC-135D-4EA4-B193-AFD23264476C.jpeg02C52E16-ACFB-45D9-8740-A60EB4D0E0C2.jpeg

What tees where you playing? Glad you settled on the back.
White. My best score is 87. I had been low 90’s for a while. Recently meaning my last 4 rounds have all been over 100.

By the way I believe that back 9 is my best back 9 to date. The second shot on 18 after a sub par drive was a rocket with the EF 3 wood. I was fired up. Dropped the SW from 103 within 3 ft.

By the way I believe that back 9 is my best back 9 to date. The second shot on 18 after a sub par drive was a rocket with the EF 3 wood. I was fired up. Dropped the SW from 103 within 3 ft.
You will be back posting in the trying to break 90 thread in no time. I am playing today with my wife and always go in thinking I can easily break 100, but the golf gods don't always smile down on me.

Playing Golf Club of California on the 22nd. It didn't exist when I lived here so going in blind. Aiming for 80-85 +1 for each beer which should put me right at home in this thread seeing as my Dad is driving and my cousin and I are drinking. Can't wait

You will be back posting in the trying to break 90 thread in no time. I am playing today with my wife and always go in thinking I can easily break 100, but the golf gods don't always smile down on me.
I e posted in it many times. For some reason it can be tough to find. Tear em up today.

I e posted in it many times. For some reason it can be tough to find. Tear em up today.
Thanks, shot a 96 today and my driver was mostly doa. My hybrid was on fire, my chips above average, but my putter was it's normal crappy self.

So, finally have some golf stuff to post. After a three week hiatus due to various reasons, had another lesson today. Well, more of a woods/driver evaluation.

Went on the launch monitor, and got some data.

We decides to add the 3-wood I got from racingfarmer, after lopping a chunk off the butt of the shaft. It should play like a strong 4-wood.

Also did the driver, and the only tweak was a bit of loft reduction, and weight movement. Seems I had it set incorrectly for my swing.

Results:

CF8A566A-BF72-4138-AADF-1BCB3883E44E.jpeg

Had five more right in the same ballpark for distance.
I was shocked at the smash factor.

I had my first real lesson today to try to get back on the train en route to breaking 100 every now and then. I took a few lessons about five years ago, but they were terrible. It was a total, “So what do you want to work on today?” kind of thing. I really didn’t get anything from them.

Today’s lesson was totally different. He started out super slowly, which was great for me. I know I’m not the kind of guy who just needs to tweak a few things to get back on track...I need some serious help. Also encouraging was that he looked at a few full swings, then decided we should start with short game stuff. That was great because it’s both an area where I need a lot of work, and seems to me to be the place a sound swing starts.

I’ve got some basic stuff to work on (setup, takeaway, simple chipping motion), but I’ll definitely be scheduling another lesson with this guy.

Back