Should large people have to pay for 2 seats?

That's another responsibility of the flight attendant. They should be trying to make the flight as comfortable and welcoming as possible for all passengers. Having someone come onboard that smells like trash or shyt isn't very comfortable or welcoming.

The job of a flight attendant is the safety of the passengers. Yes they are helpful but just as often people forget what they are there for.

The job of a flight attendant is the safety of the passengers. Yes they are helpful but just as often people forget what they are there for.

I can go with that. There's nothing safe about needing to hold your breath for hours.

I thought after I posted that. The initial responsibility for the stinky people lies with the check in personnel and the gate agents. Stinky should never make it onboard, but if they do and they're going to cause an issue, then it needs to be addressed.

That's another responsibility of the flight attendant. They should be trying to make the flight as comfortable and welcoming as possible for all passengers. Having someone come onboard that smells like trash or shyt isn't very comfortable or welcoming.
This applies to people that bathe in perfume also (please take a bath ILO drowning in perfume!!!). Talk about olfactory overload.o_O

Now this one made me laugh & a topic I think about every single time I fly. I mean should I have to keep the arm rest up because "you" are uncomfortable & need a little extra space? I don't think I should have your thighs and arms resting on mine...

So yes. I'm not trying to be rude, but I think we all have to be respectful of the space of people around us.

Now this one made me laugh & a topic I think about every single time I fly. I mean should I have to keep the arm rest up because "you" are uncomfortable & need a little extra space? I don't think I should have your thighs and arms resting on mine...

So yes. I'm not trying to be rude, but I think we all have to be respectful of the space of people around us.

Unless it's my wife is next to me, the armrest always stays down, it's non-negotiable.

I’m not a small guy - I’m arguably 6 months of reckless cheeseburgers away from needing the extension. I say a person should pay for what they use.

And this is why I try to avoid SW or pay for early boarding. Under 5’10 should be banned or over be given priority. United I always pay extra for the exit rows.
Unfortunately SWA is our only good option for direct flights in St. Louis.

My thought has always been you pay for weight. More weight means more energy for transfer, = more fuel consumption = more $$$. If you pay enough, you get 2 seats, or you can upgrade to biz/first class and not have to worry about the weight. When you purchase you put your weight in, when you check in for your flight the person working the counter can ask you to step on and check, if you are grossly out of whack, you get to pay extra like when your checked bag exceeds 50lbs.

Becomes the most democratic way to do it since hauling my ass around (even though I don't need 2 seats.....yet) has to cost more than say a petite woman that weighs barely a hundred pounds.

I think airlines should be required to have a certain number of larger seats reserved for larger customers. When I was playing rugby I was 270 pounds at times and extremely fit but too broad for a normal seat to be comfortable. There are many people larger than I was who are very big from lifting or natural frame and it wouldn't be fair to ask them to pay for two seats.

Even for people who are just overweight I don't think that is fair to ask them to pay double. Maybe a small fee for larger seats to help airlines recover some of the cost.

Yes, yes and definitely yes.

Unless it's my wife is next to me, the armrest always stays down, it's non-negotiable.
I’m with you!!! I’ve come close to verbal & fist encounters on a couple flights.

I’m with you!!! I’ve come close to verbal & fist encounters on a couple flights.

Flying just sucks now, at this point, it's get me from A to B quicker than driving, I'll pay a bit more a little more comfort, I'm not trying to get in anyone else's space, but stay the eff out of mine

Flying just sucks now, at this point, it's get me from A to B quicker than driving, I'll pay a bit more a little more comfort, I'm not trying to get in anyone else's space, but stay the eff out of mine
Ill just act like this from now on when boarding a plane.

I don’t think people should be forced to pay for 2 seats. Thing is, you all want to fly for as cheap as possible, you gotta put up with airlines trying to maximize the revenue on each flight ie packing you in like sardines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you draw the line... coming from broad shoulder normal sized butt guy... I am sure Im not the most fun to squeeze next to, but two seats worthy absolutely not.

I think airlines should be required to have a certain number of larger seats reserved for larger customers. When I was playing rugby I was 270 pounds at times and extremely fit but too broad for a normal seat to be comfortable. There are many people larger than I was who are very big from lifting or natural frame and it wouldn't be fair to ask them to pay for two seats.

Even for people who are just overweight I don't think that is fair to ask them to pay double. Maybe a small fee for larger seats to help airlines recover some of the cost.

The larger seat for more money is already available so that's a moot point. As far as just reserving larger seats for larger people, that's blatant discrimination.

I always use the aisle seat when traveling and it is amazing how the person that sits in our middle seat is always the person who takes up his and part of mine.

Yes, if you weight over a certain amount you should have to pay for the additional accommodations.

We gonna charge extra to use the bathroom too?

I'm not a small guy and I make sure not to bother anyone setting next to me. I also don't need more than one seat.
Trust me, it bothers the larger person more than you. Maybe not in comfort but it does. Lets face it, size is an issue.
Some by choice, some not. I know I'd rather sit next to a bigger person than screaming kids. Should Airlines make a
few rows for bigger folks with maybe two seats instead of 3?

Unfortunately SWA is our only good option for direct flights in St. Louis.

Bring back TWA, STL airport was awesome then

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

I'm not a small guy and I make sure not to bother anyone setting next to me. I also don't need more than one seat.
Trust me, it bothers the larger person more than you. Maybe not in comfort but it does. Lets face it, size is an issue.
Some by choice, some not. I know I'd rather sit next to a bigger person than screaming kids. Should Airlines make a

Wouldn't that come at increased cost to customers - either the passengers who use it or the flying population as a whole? Airlines are going to get their money one way or another.

Then you'll have skinny people wanting to sit in the wider seats for more comfort.:LOL:

Wouldn't that come at increased cost to customers - either the passengers who use it or the flying population as a whole? Airlines are going to get their money one way or another.
Then you'll have skinny people wanting to sit in the wider seats for more comfort.:LOL:

I don't know the right answer. I don't fly enough anyway. And it's JMO as a bigger fella.
It isn't fair to say bigger people should pay more because their big. Why can't the unhappy customer pay more to
guarantee their comfort if it's that important to them or the Airlines should accommodate bigger folks at no extra charge.

Last edited:
I don't know the right answer. I don't fly enough anyway. And it's JMO as a bigger fella.
It isn't fair to say bigger people should pay more because their big. Why can't the smaller unhappy customer pay more to
guarantee their comfort if it's that important to them or the Airlines should accommodate bigger folks at no extra charge.

I think there are options for everyone - business class bigger seats/more legroom - I think it's a comfort thing for both parties - as I mentioned above, I'm not trying to get into other people's space, but I have issue when mine is encroached upon, I'm not one in this thread really taking larger people to task and I understand it's more an industry and lack of space problem than specific people - I also don't have the answer, but like anything this day and age, taking money out of people's pockets to fund someone/something else it isn't going to fly (pun intended)

It isn't fair to say bigger people should pay more because their big. Why can't the smaller unhappy customer pay more to
Ohh! There's a good idea.
Planes only for skinny people
Planes ony for bigger people
Planes only for stinky people
Planes without kids
Planes only for parents with kids

Planes for everyone!

Ok, sarcasm off. In my opinion flying sucks. It's not getting better. The airlines are stuffing more seats into less space, they're narrowing the seat frames to get more seats in rows... all for more money. I've been next to stinky people. I've been next to big people. I've been next to crying babies. I'd rather drive.:)

it shouldn't just a large thing it should be if you can't fit in your seat then yes you should. just like when your carry on doesn't fit in the square you have to then pay for it as a stowaway. no different.

Back