How long does it take to grow a beard?

MarMill

Be Positive!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grint 8.10
I have never tried to grow a beard. My wife isn’t huge on facial hair but my brother in law said I should try.
When my facial hair grows it doesn’t look good. I planned on giving it a couple months to see. Maybe I just can’t grow one... any thoughts on this?

I've tried a couple times but can't make it past 3-4 weeks. I want to scratch my face off starting about day 15.

Never have gone more than 3 or 4 days between shaves. Although I could grow one pretty quickly, the thought of having a beard never has appealed to me.

I’ve tried a few times, but I just can’t quite get there. My goatee takes about 3 months to get to it’s normal length when I shave it off.

For me - 22 hours :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I haven't grown some serious facial hair in well over 8 years. I grow quick and thick but cannot stand the maintenance side or the sweat.

Hmmm. Maybe I should forgo this venture.

I shaved this morning. I can already light a match off my face.:p

I grow one fast but a couple of things if you are growing your first beard. First, get a quality natural beard oil and start using it. When you are first growing a single drop goes a long way. It helps the beard hairs be softer / healthier and keeps your face from getting dry & itchy. Second, if you want to grow it faster I know there's a vitamin called Biotin which helps with nail and hair growth. I have a friend who swears by it and has a respectable beard.

Last edited:
I shaved this morning. I can already light a match off my face.:p
The more I look at it I think it would take literally a year for something that looks like a beard to take form. ?

I have a beard, but it's not one of those really good ones....lol

My wife would be happy to see me lose it.

Takes me about 3 months to get it to fill out, and it's not really that "filled out", but it's acceptable. It's not one that would make Sam Elliott jealous.

After about 9 months, I usually get rid of it...a little at a time. At the very end I have a pretty good looking chin full of salt/pepper coloring.

Beards, if you want them to look decent are pretty high maintenance. This is the main reason I don't keep one very long.

I grew a beauty about 7 years ago. Took me about 2 months and I kept it for about 3 more months. The itching of the first couple of weeks is the biggest obstacle, but once you get past that it was fine. I would have too many grey patches now and I don‘t want to use Just for Men. No play for Mr. Grey.

Takes me about a week until I have to start marking the lines I will keep. 2 weeks for it to be full. After 3 weeks it is thick and grey. I start in September and leave it until May. My wife wants me to have one but summer in PHX I have to go beardless.

I’m guessing that everyone that says it gets itchy uses a razor to shave? I constantly have a full beard. When it gets too long I use a hair trimmer. I haven’t shaved in years. I never get itchy or ingrown hairs

Never tried to grow a beard. Not sure I even can. Makes my face itch after a few days so I will never know.

So far for me, 40 years and counting, and still nothing that resembles a beard.

I have had a beard for a long time now. I tell people it helps me look as if I have a chin.

I have had a short beard for about 12 months (no2 trimmer length). I can grow it in about a week from clean shaven but takes 2 to 3 to thicken and trim. If I let it get too long it gets very itchy. I can take it or leave it but my wife likes it..... so it stays;)

I'm a 2-3 times/week shaver. I've tired to make a beard work a few times but I can't get through the awkward/super itchy phase. On top of that, it turns out that having your head nuked with radiation can cause a lot of thin and patchy areas.

Took me 2 months to look like I had a goatee ?. I am the least hairy person ever. I literally have 1 hair on my chest. It is directly in the middle of my 2 nipples ?.

There’s definitely an itchy phase around a week or two but it doesn’t last too long(maybe a week or so). I have a two areas that don’t grow in as quick so I would trim everywhere else regularly while the slow spots grew in. Good luck though! I have some beard cream I like during the itchy phaseimage.jpg

Rather quickly. Two weeks and it’s full

What's a beard? I can't grow one so no advice here.

I don't shave every day of the week. I don't like it. My wife doesn't like it when I don't shave. I tried telling her there was a point in my life that I had to shave daily or I'd get in trouble. The military tends to take that seriously... but she still doesn't like it. So I shave once or twice per week.

For some of us, a beard can take a few weeks to come in. For others, it never truly does. I usually wind up shaving after 3 weeks or so because my face gets itchy.

Give it a shot and don't shave for a few weeks. See what happens and how it looks. If you like it keep going. If not, shave it off. Good luck!

I have never tried to grow a beard. My wife isn’t huge on facial hair but my brother in law said I should try.
When my facial hair grows it doesn’t look good. I planned on giving it a couple months to see. Maybe I just can’t grow one... any thoughts on this?

All depends on how long it has to be for you to define it as "a beard". I'd guess, technically, as soon as you can feel it on your face, it's a beard. That being said, I've grown mine for a year without shaving it and it can get unkempt easily. Everyone's facial hair is different though so it's hard to tell how yours might come out.

This is a year on the beard and six months on the hair.

Too long.

22180130_10213934021722174_53533568689152579_o.jpg

I can do it, but I usually can't stand going more than a week without shaving.

Back