Dick's Sporting goods/golf galaxy and testing irons.

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
I was wondering if you wanted to test two irons with the same shaft does Dick's have the ability to do that without a full iron fitting? Say you only needed about half an hour to do the test?

It depends on the brand and what the store has at their disposal. For a test like that, you normally don't get the benefits of using the launch monitor for data. Just a comparison for feel.

I used to work at Dicks years ago and that's how we did it. But it could have changed and other locations may have different policies.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

It depends on the brand and what the store has at their disposal. For a test like that, you normally don't get the benefits of using the launch monitor for data. Just a comparison for feel.

I used to work at Dicks years ago and that's how we did it. But it could have changed and other locations may have different policies.

Thanks. I am really looking for the data so I would need that. I tried to call them, but their golf guy is not in today and I figured some on the forum would know.

Thanks. I am really looking for the data so I would need that. I tried to call them, but their golf guy is not in today and I figured some on the forum would know.
A "quick fit" is usually pretty affordable and on par with a bucket or 2 of balls at a local range. You might want to ask about that, but I'm not sure if they still offer that service. Itll give you your data, but they won't go into loft and lie adjustments.

My local DSG / GG has limited equipment in the testing bin and I have not been impressed by what you get in a "fitting" from them.

I work a couple days a week at Dicks in golf. Like an early poster said it depends on what your looking to test and what they have on hand. It will also depend on what golf associate is working. Some love to help and will spend time with you others will do bare minimum

Golf Galaxy should have "some" options. I would check the OEM website to see if there is a green grass account with a fitting cart available.

I recently engaged with Golf Galaxy in VA Beach. Without getting into all the details they were not very responsive. I went elsewhere.

I was wondering if you wanted to test two irons with the same shaft does Dick's have the ability to do that without a full iron fitting? Say you only needed about half an hour to do the test?
If you have a Golf Galaxy near you go there. The one near me has a full fitting setup. They did free fittings last time I looked.

The GG near me has bays you can hit. I don’t think their shaft options are vast.

Here in the Bay Area, they dont have the equipment and personnel to help much ..

You usually get what you pay for, i.e., for nothing you get nothing. In sixty years of golfing I had never been properly fit for irons until about six months ago. It was an eye opener. I ended up with different heads, different shafts, and different grips than what I expected going in. From what I saw during the fitting, the shafts alone made a meaningful difference. (FWIW, new shafts and grips on old heads can cost as much as new irons from companies that offer a wide range of shafts at no up charge.) After being properly fit, at 74, I am striking the ball better than I ever have. If you only want to spend $500 (or less) for new shafts (or irons), it might not be worth getting fit. But if you are spending $800 to $1000 (or more) for new irons, it definitely is because it can make a huge difference.

The Dicks near me does a wonderful job.

They have the full fitting carts for Taylormade, Callaway, Titleist and Ping with ability to swap shafts out and alot of shaft offerings.

If there is a PGA superstore near you, they will have more options, as I have come to find out it is pretty rare for a DSG to have all of those carts in one place.

Dick's used to be decent, then they fired all their pros. I haven't bought a club there since.

You usually get what you pay for, i.e., for nothing you get nothing. In sixty years of golfing I had never been properly fit for irons until about six months ago. It was an eye opener. I ended up with different heads, different shafts, and different grips than what I expected going in. From what I saw during the fitting, the shafts alone made a meaningful difference. (FWIW, new shafts and grips on old heads can cost as much as new irons from companies that offer a wide range of shafts at no up charge.) After being properly fit, at 74, I am striking the ball better than I ever have. If you only want to spend $500 (or less) for new shafts (or irons), it might not be worth getting fit. But if you are spending $800 to $1000 (or more) for new irons, it definitely is because it can make a huge difference.
This didn't go the direction I thought it would. Good to see the fitting went well for you

I have been professional fit for my irons. I am simply trying to test out two irons with the same type shaft to get the data. All in all, it would probably take about 30 minutes tops. I plan to call DSG (only 25 minutes from me) and see what they have and if they don't have what I need, I will get GG a ring to see.

I have been professional fit for my irons. I am simply trying to test out two irons with the same type shaft to get the data. All in all, it would probably take about 30 minutes tops. I plan to call DSG (only 25 minutes from me) and see what they have and if they don't have what I need, I will get GG a ring to see.
I get your point. Having been fit in the past you no doubt understand the difference that shafts can make better than I do. I don't think I grasped that the total fit package of shaft/head/grip/ball functions as a unit before my recent fitting. Now, I'm not sure I would try to fit a new shaft (from among options) to my existing heads/grips/ball, though it might be a case of finding the final missing link with an alternative shaft if all the other components are spot-on right. The biggest mistake I made was getting fit to clubs (i.e., heads, shafts, grips, ball) and then going in for lessons that changed my swing slightly. It wasn't a big change, mostly just club head path, but it altered my angle of attack and tempo just enough that my ball striking doesn't seem quite as consistent as previously. The ball contact seems more crisp however, so maybe the swing is actually better fit to my new equipment than I think. Perhaps just more hours pounding balls and I'll get it. Hope you find a shaft that gives you the answer you need.

Back