Trying to Break 100

Got some advice from some good friends who saw my swing on video. I was sliding my lead hip instead of rotating. Worked on that on the range today, and saw some good results. Still a head case on the course, but my good swings were good. Now if I can get my head in the right place during my rounds I think might get somewhere.

So, finally have some golf stuff to post. After a three week hiatus due to various reasons, had another lesson today. Well, more of a woods/driver evaluation.

Went on the launch monitor, and got some data.

We decides to add the 3-wood I got from racingfarmer, after lopping a chunk off the butt of the shaft. It should play like a strong 4-wood.

Also did the driver, and the only tweak was a bit of loft reduction, and weight movement. Seems I had it set incorrectly for my swing.

Results:

View attachment 8928077

Had five more right in the same ballpark for distance.
I was shocked at the smash factor.

Did the teacher Or fitter asked why they reduced loft with those numbers?

He looked at where I had the weight and the loft settings, and adjusted before I went on the monitor. I had them set in what I thought was the optimum, but, turns out, it was not.

He looked at where I had the weight and the loft settings, and adjusted before I went on the monitor. I had them set in what I thought was the optimum, but, runs out, it was not.

Interesting.

I had my first real lesson today to try to get back on the train en route to breaking 100 every now and then. I took a few lessons about five years ago, but they were terrible. It was a total, “So what do you want to work on today?” kind of thing. I really didn’t get anything from them.

Today’s lesson was totally different. He started out super slowly, which was great for me. I know I’m not the kind of guy who just needs to tweak a few things to get back on track...I need some serious help. Also encouraging was that he looked at a few full swings, then decided we should start with short game stuff. That was great because it’s both an area where I need a lot of work, and seems to me to be the place a sound swing starts.

I’ve got some basic stuff to work on (setup, takeaway, simple chipping motion), but I’ll definitely be scheduling another lesson with this guy.

Absolute gold in the bolded part, sir! If you can't get those short pitching motions dialed in, there is no way that you're going to be good with the full swing. Now I realize that just because someone is good with their short shots doesn't necessarily make them good with the full swing, but of the many teaching pros I respect - virtually every one has lots of drills that start with small swings before working up to the full swing.

Sounds like you're in good hands! I hope it goes well & you see some big changes soon.

Got some advice from some good friends who saw my swing on video. I was sliding my lead hip instead of rotating. Worked on that on the range today, and saw some good results. Still a head case on the course, but my good swings were good. Now if I can get my head in the right place during my rounds I think might get somewhere.

"My advice to you: start drinking heavily."

So, finally have some golf stuff to post. After a three week hiatus due to various reasons, had another lesson today. Well, more of a woods/driver evaluation.

We decides to add the 3-wood I got from racingfarmer, after lopping a chunk off the butt of the shaft. It should play like a strong 4-wood.

Also did the driver, and the only tweak was a bit of loft reduction, and weight movement. Seems I had it set incorrectly for my swing.

Results:

View attachment 8928077

Love that smash factor, bro!

He looked at where I had the weight and the loft settings, and adjusted before I went on the monitor. I had them set in what I thought was the optimum, but, turns out, it was not.
Interesting.
I asume JB said "interesting" because it looks like the launch angle might be a little low?

Results:

View attachment 8928077

I’d say that’s maximizing your impact.

I asume JB said "interesting" because it looks like the launch angle might be a little low?
(Shrug) Maybe? Since I’ve never been on a launch monitor before, I had no baseline to compare it. I know from being a watcher of TXG videos that smash factor around 1.5 is good, and I am decent at getting center of face a bit more often than not with this driver. If I were to consistently hit these numbers, I will have picked up about 15-20 yards with the driver, over my vague estimations of last season. Really have to remember to wear Ye Olde Shot Scope more to get a bit more data. When I was hitting it, with the posture adjustments he’s had me work on, it made a pleasing “Pok!” sound.

Its for multiple reasons. I think its tremendous that Hamfist is centering contact and that is the best way possible to gain distance. If the fitting was based on maximization of a higher handicapped golfer, I would have liked to see a bit more spin and launch out of the player.

Hearing that loft was reduced and this is what it brought in, was what I found interesting. The only other explanation would have been an extremely low spin player, hitting it a bit low on the face, which will always increase speed...Which I dont think is what happened here.

Efficiency is top notch, so assuming that it remains similar with additional loft, could possibly increase distance and forgiveness with very little loss in speed.

I’d say that’s maximizing your impact.
I saw the number and had to do a double take. I honestly thought with my jacked up swing, it would be sub-1.0.

Its for multiple reasons. I think its tremendous that Hamfist is centering contact and that is the best way possible to gain distance. If the fitting was based on maximization of a higher handicapped golfer, I would have liked to see a bit more spin and launch out of the player.

Hearing that loft was reduced and this is what it brought in, was what I found interesting. The only other explanation would have been an extremely low spin player, hitting it a bit low on the face, which will always increase speed...Which I dont think is what happened here.

Efficiency is top notch, so assuming that it remains similar with additional loft, could possibly increase distance and forgiveness with very little loss in speed.

Can't argue with that Smash Factor. It will be interesting to see how further lessons change his swing, and if they will have to adjust the driver loft as Hammy goes along.
I find this stuff very intriguing & wish I was better schooled in these principles.

The display we were using has the “view” not directly down-the-line, but set off-center a bit. I asked if that meant I was hitting it left, and he said it wasn’t. Form the display he said I might be favoring the left a bit, but all the shots would have been in the fairway.

I have no clue whether I am a low-or high-spin hitter. I’ve hit balls that took off low and dropped like a split-finger fastball, and hit ones that ballooned high.

Edit: I had the loft at 12 degrees, with a draw bias. (IIRC). We are going to tweak as the season progresses, and my swing refines.

The display we were using has the “view” not directly down-the-line, but set off-center a bit. I asked if that meant I was hitting it left, and he said it wasn’t. Form the display he said I might be favoring the left a bit, but all the shots would have been in the fairway.

I have no clue whether I am a low-or high-spin hitter. I’ve hit balls that took off low and dropped like a split-finger fastball, and hit ones that ballooned high.
Inconsistent contact on the face would cause variance in spin rates from shot to shot.

As your swing settles into a routine you’ll make better and more consistent contact.

Can't argue with that Smash Factor. It will be interesting to see how further lessons change his swing, and if they will have to adjust the driver loft as Hammy goes along.
I find this stuff very intriguing & wish I was better schooled in these principles.

We have videos and articles covering every aspect of fitting numbers. Including the founder of Club Champion literally explaining what every number shown on a launch monitor means.

and @Canadan and myself broke down virtually every driver head with data and how impact changes the numbers in Range Days videos. There is a full season of them from 2019

Inconsistent contact on the face would cause variance in spin rates from shot to shot.

As your swing settles into a routine you’ll make better and more consistent contact.
Having not swung a club in weeks, I was pretty rusty. The new stance/posture wanted to revert to the old bad one, and it took me a bit to get back into the right set.

We have videos and articles covering every aspect of fitting numbers. Including the founder of Club Champion literally explaining what every number shown on a launch monitor means.

and @Canadan and myself broke down virtually every driver head with data and how impact changes the numbers in Range Days videos. There is a full season of them from 2019
Oh yeah, and I've watched them all (Thank you BTW!), but that's not the same as internalizing them and having that knowledge on instant recall. I wouldn't do great if I was quizzed on this stuff - yet!

Having not swung a club in weeks, I was pretty rusty. The new stance/posture wanted to revert to the old bad one, and it took me a bit to get back into the right set.

Rust will shake off. I’m thinking you’re going to crush it by the end of this season

Results:

View attachment 8928077

Probably want to jack the loft back up till summer

I’m going to leave it right where it is, sir.
Fair enough that number is roll though, so you will be plugging at 160 come April if you raise the launch up to like 15 and spin up 500 you will get the carry up to like 168-170 but only roll out in summer to like 195. Still need an advancing club to catch me though if it ever gets warm which seems like an odd thing to say as I am starring out a second story window at a palm tree and can just see the ocean on a hill in Carlsbad:alien: See you in a few weeks hopefully

Fair enough that number is roll though, so you will be plugging at 160 come April if you raise the launch up to like 15 and spin up 500 you will get the carry up to like 168-170 but only roll out in summer to like 195. Still need an advancing club to catch me though if it ever gets warm which seems like an odd thing to say as I am starring out a second story window at a palm tree and can just see the ocean on a hill in Carlsbad:alien: See you in a few weeks hopefully
All I need is a bit of glue stick, and a bit of Vaseline. You’ll never know where your shots will be going.

Back