"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

Herpes.....definitely Herpes.

Does anyone know which manufacturer has the strongest lofts and which has the weakest? I would be curious to demo them side by side and see if irons on opposite ends of the spectrum regarding loft perform similar because of different tech.

The other thing with loft gapping is that people don’t account for moving from cavity back style irons to blade style wedges.

Does anyone know which manufacturer has the strongest lofts and which has the weakest? I would be curious to demo them side by side and see if irons on opposite ends of the spectrum regarding loft perform similar because of different tech.

The strongest is the Epic Forged and I own the 4 iron that is stock at 18* and the PW is 41*. Once spring is here I’ll compare my weaker lofted Z765 irons to the full set of Epic Forged outdoors with a Trackman.

The strongest is the Epic Forged and I own the 4 iron that is stock at 18* and the PW is 41*. Once spring is here I’ll compare my weaker lofted Z765 irons to the full set of Epic Forged outdoors with a Trackman.

Those are not the strongest.
Titleist T400 probably is currently.

Also there is a lot of jdm clubs that have t400 like lofts.

I also think the manufacturers know what they are doing. This section of the market usually has quite a bit of big sellers.

Also there is a lot of jdm clubs that have t400 like lofts.

I also think the manufacturers know what they are doing. This section of the market usually has quite a bit of big sellers.
I'd be willing to bet the Mavrik irons outsell the weaker Pro & Max models. A lot of golfers like max distance, and if you're testing different clubs stamped with a "7" on it, the extra distance from one will be a plus for them.

I might have some stuff in house here that I could probably put together somewhat of a fun and crazy test.

I have set with a 7 iron at 26°
My normal 7 iron at 30.5°
A few 7 irons that range from 33°-35°

I might have some stuff in house here that I could probably put together somewhat of a fun and crazy test.

I like this kind of test. Having tested a bunch of clubs this winter, the main things I see are higher launch and lower spin with iron designs that use hotter face and lower loft. Carry distance is relatively close loft to loft, but with more rollout the "jacked" clubs end up quite a bit longer. But that's all anecdotal. I've never tried to compare head to head thinking about loft specifically.

That would be fun Dean. I was shocked at how easy T-Rails launched, so I think those hybrid irons can make a huge difference in launch angle just by the construction. Would be curious to see what your data shows.

No Dean, haven't you read the thread, you have a 5i, 6i, and a few 7i's :rolleyes:

I like this kind of test. Having tested a bunch of clubs this winter, the main things I see are higher launch and lower spin with iron designs that use hotter face and lower loft. Carry distance is relatively close loft to loft, but with more rollout the "jacked" clubs end up quite a bit longer. But that's all anecdotal. I've never tried to compare head to head thinking about loft specifically.

That would be fun Dean. I was shocked at how easy T-Rails launched, so I think those hybrid irons can make a huge difference in launch angle just by the construction. Would be curious to see what your data shows.

I'm probably a couple of weeks away from getting outdoors and doing this testing with a gamer ball. But it sounds like it could be fun.

The things I would be looking for are launch, height, descent angle. But who knows, maybe find some other fun things along the way.

No Dean, haven't you read the thread, you have a 5i, 6i, and a few 7i's :rolleyes:

I don't know, they all say 7. Somebody is lying to me.

I don't know, they all say 7. Somebody is lying to me.
Its "the man". They're marketing a**holes, after all.

I'm probably a couple of weeks away from getting outdoors and doing this testing with a gamer ball. But it sounds like it could be fun.

The things I would be looking for are launch, height, descent angle. But who knows, maybe find some other fun things along the way.
This is a stupid question - if you can get the appropriate descent angle thanks to getting extra height from ball speed, is launch really all that important? I'm guessing without any data that you'll see variations in launch, but less so in descent angle. I'll probably be proven wrong, but that's kind of where my mind's at.

This is a stupid question - if you can get the appropriate descent angle thanks to getting extra height from ball speed, is launch really all that important? I'm guessing without any data that you'll see variations in launch, but less so in descent angle. I'll probably be proven wrong, but that's kind of where my mind's at.

Might not be. Though I believe the 3 would be somewhat intertwined. I really think this would be some fun to do.

I gamed the Hot Metal irons before receiving my Epic Forged irons.
Epic Forged 7 iron = 27 degrees
Hot Metal 7 iron = 30 degrees.
Yes the Epic forged is longer for me, but at the same height with a better decent angle. I will take the Epic Forged all day over the Hot metals.

I would be very interested to see what you find!

I would be very curious how those perform side by side!

I agree. Will you post in here or a separate thread?

A separate thread. I have a buddy that I play weekly with that owns a set and I hit his 8 iron a few times last October on the par 3 2nd hole at our club when the flag was in that 175ish range. The green on that hole is one of the toughest on the course and slopes front right to back left and it didn't hold the green 1 of the 3 times I hit it because it appeared to have less spin than my Srixons. My Z765 7iron which is the exact same length and has 0.5* more loft than the EF 8 iron, did hold the green those three days.

I like the idea of the Epic Forged for max distance and some forgiveness for that 190+ yardage(just trying to hit the green from that range) but doubt that I will find them more accurate than my current set with the shorter irons. It will be fun testing them out in more detail and maybe adding a 6 iron to my bag to replace my current 5 iron. My club has a large Callaway following and last fall 6 or more members bought them right when they came out.

Its "the man". They're marketing a**holes, after all.

Silly jacked lofts have me playing three clubs with a 4 on the bottom in 2020... 4w, 4h, 4i. Hope the number 4 is good to me this year...

Back