Why Are Iron Covers Polarizing

that's total BS, you folks dicking around reading putts or or whatever you do to slow everyone down take way more time. It is a non issue and just a patented b*tch from people who don't know any better.
I would say i play faster than anyone i have played with. I have no idea if covers slow you down, if you had read my post you would know i ha e never actually seen someone that uses them. I asked a question if this is the reason people hate them. I’m indifferent as again, i have never even encountered someone that uses these.

Irons strike the ground with impact so there is no good sense reason for iron covers.

Lately, my irons only strike the ground with impact when I hit it fat. Otherwise, I've morphed into a picker. Not sure how, but I did.

I think this is largely internet forum chatter. I've literally played thousands of rounds with iron covers and I have NEVER had anybody complain or even suggest they look silly.

For me irons are the workhorse of the bag. You beat them in to the ground for half of your round and they do the dirty work. The putter is a delicate and nitpicky angel that deserves to be cared for. Sure you can touch up nicks but you can still see where there are marks.

Plus I just like having something to pick on people about.

For me irons are the workhorse of the bag. You beat them in to the ground for half of your round and they do the dirty work. The putter is a delicate and nitpicky angel that deserves to be cared for. Sure you can touch up nicks but you can still see where there are marks.

I used irons on 14 of 91 strokes last round. Call it 90 strokes if you want since one was a penalty stroke. The percentages are immaterial though. I hit the ground with my woods, driver, and wedges as much as I do my irons. Figure I hit the ground with my putter occasionally, too. For some reason, I cover them all except the wedges. Not sure why.

My first nice set of irons came with head covers. They had a lot high impact plastic as part of the club head. The covers were there to protect the the plastic parts. I used them until the velcrow tightners wore out. I never replaced them. Also, I never heard any poor remarks from other golfers.

I know that the first few times I left the iron covers off, the noise the irons made clanking against each other, was a little annoying.

I have no issues with golfers who prefer to use iron covers. Tools last longer when cared for properly.

I read on another forum that using iron covers added another 10-15 minutes to a golfer's round due removing them, and putting them back on before, and after each shot. I thought that was a some what entertaining remark relating to slow play.

I don't use iron covers now. I just keep my metal woods, and putter heads protected. In fact, my metal wood covers actually help protect the iron heads, due to being oversized.

To each his own.
10-15 minutes? Kevin Na is using head covers now? ;)

I have used neoprene iron covers for years

(4) reasons
- don't like clank, clank, clank when carrying bag
- protects the club heads
- protects graphite shafts on hybrids and woods
- big numbers, makes clubs easy to identify and pull

they don't waste any time, don't interfere with the game and shouldn't be anyone's concern
On the flip side...what is annoying are players with forged irons with bag chatter all over them. Especially a player who has a milled carbon putter and it looks like he took a hammer to it.

For me they're ugly and serve little purpose. Any minor damage you may get from irons knocking together in the bag is far less significant than what you get from swinging them.

I don't use iron covers and around my area I have only saw a few folks that do use them.

I have a set of iron covers that went on my clubs for transporting my bag, but when I got to the club they would come off, and then I would put them back on before putting my clubs in the car. Now my clubs tend to spend more time at the club in my locker when I am not playing, so I haven't used them for years, but if I travel abroad I will be using them to give as much protection as I can from the airline handlers

The pace of play argument is a joke in my opinion

If I want to keep my irons looking as good as possible, I will use them and I couldn't care less what people think

On the flip side...what is annoying are players with forged irons with bag chatter all over them. Especially a player who has a milled carbon putter and it looks like he took a hammer to it.

In my travels those are normally the players with the most skill. Forged irons don’t look good until they have some chatter. :)

I don't use them. I love the sound of the clubs clanking together as I walk. It's just "one of those sounds" that I relate directly to the game of golf.

And this also...

I am guilty of this and get a hard time from my playing buddies. Mine stay on for car rides and those rounds where I take the cart, since club chatter is endless when riding. Otherwise, when I walk I don't use them. My reasoning is the same as most others, they aren't cheap and I like to keep them nice looking. Especially since I have an issue and get new irons more than I should. Helps the resell value!

I don't use them but I'm going to give you crap for them just because it's something to banter about.

I wanna give a thumbs up for this picture, it looks like they are different head covers for different clubs.

thumbs up for iron head covers, but a BIG thumbs down for different sets of head covers on different irons.

I don’t mix head cover brands. I just had a box of extras that I had in the car and was just trying to provide proof that I do like head covers.:D

I've never really considered using them, minus that one year I thought about keeping the chatter off a set of MP-32 MBs...

That said, outside of the regular jokes that come with them, I see no reason why people can't use them. I respect the hell out of someone who wants to protect their clubs at the most extreme level.

To me, there is just way too much worry about pace of play and using the excuse that head covers add to it is ridiculous. Most guys take more time dicking around driving their cart from one side of the fairway to the other than it does for me to walk, push a cart, pull a head cover off, take the shot, put the head cover back on while walking and pushing the cart.

I used to use them all the time a long time ago. But I kept losing them because I didn't like the feeling of them in my pocket while hitting, so I would either put them on the ground and then forget them or balance them on the other clubs in the bag and then drop inside, so I stopped using them.

I use them as I do driver, FW, putter covers. I hate bag chatter and really want to keep them nick free so I can trade them in for higher trade ins! I also put the cover in my pocket and put it back on in about 2 seconds when I return the iron to my bag! Also, if I have a cover in my pocket with no corresponding iron in hand (like from around the green) I know that I have left an iron or wedge near the green!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I use them as I do driver, FW, putter covers. I hate bag chatter and really want to keep them nick free so I can trade them in for higher trade ins! I also put the cover in my pocket and put it back on in about 2 seconds when I return the iron to my bag! Also, if I have a cover in my pocket with no corresponding iron in hand (like from around the green) I know that I have left an iron or wedge near the green!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
This is the exact same as what I tried to convey but you explained it better

In my travels those are normally the players with the most skill. Forged irons don’t look good until they have some chatter. :)
In my travels that isn’t the case! Forged irons are not just muscle backs. As for touring pro’s....for the most part they are paid to game irons and can get a new set whenever they want.

Last edited:
Back