Hole in One on a Par 3

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
There is discussion elsewhere on the interwebs about whether you'd count a hole in one on a par 3 course as a legitimate HIO. Lots of people are saying no.

Why the hell wouldn't you?

Discuss.

With an *

And not on a pitch and putt par 3 course.

Not that I’ve had a HIO but yes I’d say a hole in one is a hole in one. So long as it a golf course par 3 or not. I don’t even know what a pitch and putt is.

I was heavily involved with this on the Callaway Community with Matt Browning haha. A good point that was brought up is the 7th at Pebble Beach. Its a very short part 3 and a hole in one counts! So it got me thinking that even on a par 3 course or pitch and putt that it should count. I would say anything over 80-90 yards its more legit than 60 yards; nonetheless a good shot is a good shot!

There is discussion elsewhere on the interwebs about whether you'd count a hole in one on a par 3 course as a legitimate HIO. Lots of people are saying no.

Why the hell wouldn't you?

Discuss.
I play a couple different tracks that are 9 hole Par 3 courses and the lengths vary from 130-200 yards and If I hit an ace at that course I would absolutely consider it a HO1.... that said, I'm not sure who I need to justify this to...... In any conversation with other golfers, IF and its a big IF..... I was lucky enough to make an ace at one of these tracks I would absolutely disclose that the course was a Par 3 course...... The fact remains I made 1 on a par 3 regardless of what distance the hole was or that it wasn't part of a "sanctioned round".....

As far as I'm concerned, if the ball goes in the hole on your first tee shot, no Mulligans, it's a Hole-In-One, course length doesn't really matter.

I think the people who have a preconceived notion that a shorter hole isn't "real" golf, are the same people who shoot 120 from the tips because they're too ego-driven to move forward.

By definition a hole in one is a hole out in one shot. You write down a 1 on the score card no matter if it's 400 yards or 25 yards. You can't deny that.

I've never played a hole on a regulation course shorter than 80yds. I'd consider any HIO on any hole a HIO, but, I'd probably qualify my story if it was on a shorter hole than that.

By definition a hole in one is a hole out in one shot. You write down a 1 on the score card no matter if it's 400 yards or 25 yards. You can't deny that.

facts

Folks, the rule is not intended to malign shorter holes. The reason why it can't be a par 3 course is that you have 9 chances a side vs the 3 allowed by the rule.

I have made 4 hole in ones on the same hole. Now, that hole is the 90yd wedge shot I have on my own property that comprises the entirety of my private golf course. Those 4 HIOs came from hitting thousands of wedges from my hitting mat over the years.

Taking multiple shots at reachable holes is a chance thing. Now, I agree that for most intents and purposes, yeah it's a hole in one whenever it happens but I believe that's why the rule reads as it does.

I think the people who have a preconceived notion that a shorter hole isn't "real" golf, are the same people who shoot 120 from the tips because they're too ego-driven to move forward.

I agree.. I would count it for sure

Now you have me wondering would it still count if you had said HOI on a simulator indoors or does that get an asterisk

Folks, the rule is not intended to malign shorter holes. The reason why it can't be a par 3 course is that you have 9 chances a side vs the 3 allowed by the rule.

I have made 4 hole in ones on the same hole. Now, that hole is the 90yd wedge shot I have on my own property that comprises the entirety of my private golf course. Those 4 HIOs came from hitting thousands of wedges from my hitting mat over the years.

Taking multiple shots at reachable holes is a chance thing. Now, I agree that for most intents and purposes, yeah it's a hole in one whenever it happens but I believe that's why the rule reads as it does.
people who play more have their HIO devalued?

I think it counts on a par 3 course or even a pitch and putt, as long as the hole isn't ridiculously short. Anything that requires a full swing (with any club) counts. The 60 yard example somebody used is too short to count in my opinion.

Doesn’t #7 at pebble play short due to the drop in elevation something like 80y or less for most normal people tees? So sure, why not. Distance is an interesting topic when it comes to hole in ones, because people can also play different tees at the same hole. What happens if someone uses a tee shorter than you do, do you not count their HIO then?

I’ve played par 3 courses before and I absolutely think they should count. In fact, at Tree tops in Michigan there is a plaque where Lee Trevino got a...ahem...hole in one during the old par 3 contest there they used to do. So yea, if it’s good enough for Lee it’s good enough for me.

Its a HOI regardless of length or course, period.

Back