Hole in One on a Par 3

I would have to say it would count. It is still a good golf shot no matter the distance

Doesn’t #7 at pebble play short due to the drop in elevation something like 80y or less for most normal people tees? So sure, why not. Distance is an interesting topic when it comes to hole in ones, because people can also play different tees at the same hole. What happens if someone uses a tee shorter than you do, do you not count their HIO then?

I’ve played par 3 courses before and I absolutely think they should count. In fact, at Tree tops in Michigan there is a plaque where Lee Trevino got a...ahem...hole in one during the old par 3 contest there they used to do. So yea, if it’s good enough for Lee it’s good enough for me.
This is an excellent point. Are we supposed to believe that tour pros playing in the Par 3 tournament at the Masters don't celebrate a hole in one?

Folks, the rule is not intended to malign shorter holes. The reason why it can't be a par 3 course is that you have 9 chances a side vs the 3 allowed by the rule.

I have made 4 hole in ones on the same hole. Now, that hole is the 90yd wedge shot I have on my own property that comprises the entirety of my private golf course. Those 4 HIOs came from hitting thousands of wedges from my hitting mat over the years.

Taking multiple shots at reachable holes is a chance thing. Now, I agree that for most intents and purposes, yeah it's a hole in one whenever it happens but I believe that's why the rule reads as it does.
Just for clarification, are you saying you walked out onto the tee box of your back yard course, took one swing and the ball went in? Or did you hole out after hitting thousands of wedges from your mat? Definitely a difference there.

Big courses, little courses, 18 holes, 9 holes, par 72, par 36, executive courses, par 3 courses, mini golf courses, putt putt courses, goofy golf courses, and every variation you can think of... to me, they all count. 1 stroke, ball goes in hole. Hole in one.

My opinion only

A hole in one is a HOLE IN ONE! Yes, getting one on a Par 3 course is a little less prestigious in my opinion because of all the opportunities, but you still knocked it in...and I’ll take that free drink.! Now if you come at me bragging about an Ace at Pirates Cove, you will forever be known as a grade A douche bag.

Not that I’ve had a HIO but yes I’d say a hole in one is a hole in one. So long as it a golf course par 3 or not. I don’t even know what a pitch and putt is.
pitch and putt is you can get on the green from thd tee box aka an easy birdy hole

A hole in one is a HOLE IN ONE! Yes, getting one on a Par 3 course is a little less prestigious in my opinion because of all the opportunities, but you still knocked it in...and I’ll take that free drink.! Now if you come at me bragging about an Ace at Pirates Cove, you will forever be known as a grade A douche bag.
and thats someone who never got on ed on the pirates cove lol

And there's some that are 60, is that ok?

Was it hit from a teeing ground? One shot and in the hole. It counts. Why shouldn't it? How long does the hole and/or course need to be to "count"?

I was heavily involved with this on the Callaway Community with Matt Browning haha. A good point that was brought up is the 7th at Pebble Beach. Its a very short part 3 and a hole in one counts! So it got me thinking that even on a par 3 course or pitch and putt that it should count. I would say anything over 80-90 yards its more legit than 60 yards; nonetheless a good shot is a good shot!

So, you're saying it does count at 60y (or any distance) or it does not?

I've never played a hole on a regulation course shorter than 80yds. I'd consider any HIO on any hole a HIO, but, I'd probably qualify my story if it was on a shorter hole than that.

If I'm ever lucky enough to get a HIO, I'm gonna qualify it no matter the distance! Heck, yeah, I hit a 6i from 151y into a 3.25mph breeze and it hit a rock 135y out and bounced onto the green, ricocheted off a stick on the green, and rolled into the hole! I don't care what the circumstances are... it's a HIO!

Folks, the rule is not intended to malign shorter holes. The reason why it can't be a par 3 course is that you have 9 chances a side vs the 3 allowed by the rule.

I have made 4 hole in ones on the same hole. Now, that hole is the 90yd wedge shot I have on my own property that comprises the entirety of my private golf course. Those 4 HIOs came from hitting thousands of wedges from my hitting mat over the years.

Taking multiple shots at reachable holes is a chance thing. Now, I agree that for most intents and purposes, yeah it's a hole in one whenever it happens but I believe that's why the rule reads as it does.

Allowed by what rule?

Three chances per side? What if there are three par 3's and a 260y par 4 on one side? Does that negate any HIO on that side?

I think it counts on a par 3 course or even a pitch and putt, as long as the hole isn't ridiculously short. Anything that requires a full swing (with any club) counts. The 60 yard example somebody used is too short to count in my opinion.

Is it less of a hole in one if I use a 3/4 7i swing vs a full 8i or full 9i because it's playing into a bit of wind?

What if I only hit my shortest irons/wedge 50y. Does that give legitimacy to the 60y hole now?

This is an excellent point. Are we supposed to believe that tour pros playing in the Par 3 tournament at the Masters don't celebrate a hole in one?

Tony Finau wants to talk to anyone who disputes this.

pitch and putt is you can get on the green from thd tee box aka an easy birdy hole

So, would a 9 hole course with holes ranging from 195y to 225y be considered a pitch and putt?

No asterisk at all. An Ace is an Ace.

I would gladly take my first Ace being on a Par 3 course.

So, would a 9 hole course with holes ranging from 195y to 225y be considered a pitch and putt?
Not for me. I haven't had any 200 yard pitch shots I can remember.

My idea of a pitch and putt, is I can take a 110 yard club and play the whole course.

You can count that as a "big hole" HIO.
I agree, like a "par 3 course" HIO, or "pitch shot" HIO.

If you can justify it to yourself at the end of the day, that's all that matters. Similar to an unwitnessed HIO.

Back