NEWS Justin Rose Removing Honma Clubs

UPDATE

Just spoke to someone that spent some time with JR yesterday and said “their might be some lawyers involved“.

Suffice it to say, Rose is under contract with Honma. It isnt the first time a player wanted to test the waters and try other things, but it sounds like JR wants to be free and clear.

Well now, this is getting curious. I have no idea why tour golfers and their equipment sponsorships and usage or change is interesting to me. But it really is interesting.

I gotta say for the $ these guys get to endorse a company I think they should have to stick to it and make it work. If you don't like it don't take the money in the first place.
I like JR but I lose a little respect for these guys when this kind of thing happens

You would have thought he would have done extensive testing before signing.

I gotta say for the $ these guys get to endorse a company I think they should have to stick to it and make it work. If you don't like it don't take the money in the first place.
I like JR but I lose a little respect for these guys when this kind of thing happens
I think it kind of depends on the situation. Which, if I am not mistaken, we don't know all of the details on yet. But, his goal, first and foremost, is to put the best gear in play to give himself a chance to compete. Maybe he really doesn't feel like Honma can do that for him. Could be a lot going on behind the scenes that we will never know about. I am eager to see what else we learn. It's something that doesn't really happen often.

I just think they all have to know that going in and if they want to leave their options open........
Don't take the $

I just think they all have to know that going in and if they want to leave their options open........
Don't take the $
Like any contract, if he wants to violate it, he would be legally responsible to return monies that he was paid. Unless, he has claim that they didn't hold up their end. In any event, it is not like he can just flip them the bird and ride off into the sunset with the money he got.

Like any contract, if he wants to violate it, he would be legally responsible to return monies that he was paid. Unless, he has claim that they didn't hold up their end. In any event, it is not like he can just flip them the bird and ride off into the sunset with the money he got.
Not necessarily. There is probably a mutual termination option, or a liquidated damages clause or something. I mean, if you are the OEM, you want the players using your equipment to want to use it, right?

I wondered how long it would take. i feel like his game took a dip when these went into the bag.
I was thinking the exact same thing. When he left Taylormade his game took a big hit.

Just like any contract .... why isn't there a clause written in before he signs on the dotted line?
"I agree to play these clubs for 1 year, and based on my play & earnings, determines whether I continue playing Honma clubs."

So the guy he likes leaves Tmag for Honma and JR leaves Tmag shortly after. The guy leaves Honma an JR leaves shortly after....
Sounds higher maintenance than my ex wife

My gut feeling is that both of these companies (JR and Honma) end up just fine on the other end. Timing is curious for me though, with the Masters looming, but I have a feeling that is why we have this news now.

Just like any contract .... why isn't there a clause written in before he signs on the dotted line?
"I agree to play these clubs for 1 year, and based on my play & earnings, determines whether I continue playing Honma clubs."

i'm sure that's a reasonable item to put in the contract. but I would imagine it would significantly reduce the price honma would be willing to pay.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I read elsewhere that he wanted to put his Axis1 putter in play and due to his Honda contract he couldn’t?

There was a pretty strong relationship in place between King, Kawaja and JR.
See, that is one of the great things about this place. I would have never known the story behind the story, rather just the impressions. Love it!

Last edited:
Apparently he hasn't been happy with his 60* wedge either. It looks as though he's testing 3 different models .... Vokey, TM, & Wilson

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I read elsewhere that he wanted to put his Axis1 putter in play and due to his Honda contract he couldn’t?

He has played the Axis1 for a while now. I believe he is sponsored by them

He has played the Axis1 for a while now. I believe he is sponsored by them
Yup. And he even played the main role in designing his Axis1

Yup. And he even played the main role in designing his Axis1

Going off memory I believe his deal with Honma is for somewhere around 8-10 clubs. But that is what I was told at the signing and I am old and might be slightly off.

Going off memory I believe his deal with Honma is for somewhere around 8-10 clubs. But that is what I was told at the signing and I am old and might be slightly off.

10 sounds right to me.

Rose is playing pretty good so far today. Might just be the honeymoon phase.

Rose is playing pretty good so far today. Might just be the honeymoon phase.

Or sleeping in his own bed, being in his home city, etc. :D

Or sleeping in his own bed, being in his home city, etc. :D

Yeah who knows. So many possible reasons.

Back