Review Wilson Staff Model Wedge Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Quick Take

The Wilson Staff Model Wedges are more workhorse than one trick pony.  While they are likely to grab your attention with their clean looks, they will keep your attention with the performance.  Also available in a high-toe design, Wilson has released a quality update to its tour wedge line that is worthy of a swing.

26316465-0F94-4216-BB7B-7C244A6E7B13.jpg

It has been several years since Wilson last updated its tour
wedges, and by the looks of things, Wilson got it dead right, mostly.  The Staff Model Wedges are stunning, clean,
and a number of other superlatives, and whoever designed them deserves (in my
humble opinion) some recognition.  But do
the aesthetics translate...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very clean looking wedges, and not a wedge option I have seen around me

I do wonder how much the lack of options might impact people giving them a try?

Very clean looking wedges, and not a wedge option I have seen around me

I do wonder how much the lack of options might impact people giving them a try?
I think the casual golfers won’t notice and will try them if they are in store. It might affect some of the Internet golfers (like me) but it might not be as big of a deal. Time will tell

I think the casual golfers won’t notice and will try them if they are in store. It might affect some of the Internet golfers (like me) but it might not be as big of a deal. Time will tell
I don't disagree with that

I am guessing they are a bit more readily available for you guys? I honestly can't remember seeing a Wilson wedge in the stores near me, although they are available on the website for the same store

Oh wow. I didn’t even realize you had these in for review.

Solid write up on them, it’s an interesting move/direction for Wilson.

• Admin
That is almost always going to be the question for wedges. You have 3 companies that put out so many loft and sole options and then you have everybody else. With prices being fairly close, it is hard to not go with those 3 if you are getting fit or know what you like.

That's a really lovely looking wedge, and adding the hi-toe lob wedge may well take away any issues with just the one grind being offered. I've not seen them around here either, would be a good one to try for sure.

I don't disagree with that

I am guessing they are a bit more readily available for you guys? I honestly can't remember seeing a Wilson wedge in the stores near me, although they are available on the website for the same store
I haven’t seen one in stores yet but I’m sure that will change as time goes on.

That is almost always going to be the question for wedges. You have 3 companies that put out so many loft and sole options and then you have everybody else. With prices being fairly close, it is hard to not go with those 3 if you are getting fit or know what you like.
Agreed. I loved what I saw and the performance but I really like more sole options. Maybe the HT solves it, but I’m not certain

Looks solid but a bit surprised you have to go high toe to get the super high loft. If that look is a turn off to me, that just killed that option :/

What is the grind on them? Is it like an M grind?

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Nice work, Gary 👍 I think these are improved looks-wise from the PMP, and it appears they can put plenty of English on the golf ball. These seem like a very good option for players who like to keep the face square and need some bounce. Plus they are at a very attractive price point whereas others continue their march toward $200.

Nice review. Nice looking wedge too

What is the grind on them? Is it like an M grind?

Almost Fiddy Plus 2
Looks like a full grind, maybe some relief along the rear of the sole.

Looks solid but a bit surprised you have to go high toe to get the super high loft. If that look is a turn off to me, that just killed that option :/
I also noticed they kicked off the low lofts between preview and launch. Originally had a 48, but no longer. No high, no low.

I also noticed they kicked off the low lofts between preview and launch. Originally had a 48, but no longer. No high, no low.
Their press release and specs on their website still have all the 48* info too, you just can’t buy it.

Their press release and specs on their website still have all the 48* info too, you just can’t buy it.

That seems like a bit of an oversight on their part. Frustrating too, like come on man get it right, it’s your own website.

This is where I am at. While if I imagine a "classic wedge look" it's this club's shape that pops in my head, in a day of fittings and custom grinds available at similar price points, I am not sure which market these are for. The "one bounce, one color" approach yells "drive by sales at Dicks" versus marketing to a more upscale golfer who is willing to pay more to get exactly what they want.

Nice review. Wilson has been putting out some nice products lately!

I dont think the limited options hurts Wilson. I think a reasonable sales projection tells you that the bulk of their sales are in the standard grind and lofts. Plus Wilson doesn't like to get out on the limb too far. All that making a profit stuff.I have gotten along with the last two models. I will be buying these.

Great write up! I feel a love/hate for these wedges. Love the look-hate the finish! They need to be chrome mirror plated to match the the Staff Model blades! I have never been wowed by a W/S wedge.

Nice write up and clean looking wedges. I however personally hate the bore through look, so that would remove any partial interest in these.

Back