Has anyone changed the batteries in your Arccos grips?

PatsFan

Jedi Knight
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
myself
Has anyone changed the batteries in your Arccos grips?
They say they should last 5 years but I am starting my 3rd season and i have 4 or 5 dead batteries,

If you have the ones built into the grips then I don't think there's a way to replace the battery. They sell that Sensor/battery assembly for $5 each on cobra's site.

If you have the ones built into the grips then I don't think there's a way to replace the battery. They sell that Sensor/battery assembly for $5 each on cobra's site.
Someone on here said otherwise, I can't remember who. I think the battery in my driver is dead and I need to replace it if possible.

Someone on here said otherwise, I can't remember who. I think the battery in my driver is dead and I need to replace it if possible.
I can get pictures when I get home as I had one die prematurely. The sensor is plastic - wrapped to the battery and the leads seem to be adhered to the battery. Cobra says you replace the whole thing. (the previous ones allowed you to just change the battery). I can play with the dead one later if you want. I am an engineer so I'm sure I can let the magic white smoke out.

I can get pictures when I get home as I had one die prematurely. The sensor is plastic - wrapped to the battery and the leads seem to be adhered to the battery. Cobra says you replace the whole thing. (the previous ones allowed you to just change the battery). I can play with the dead one later if you want. I am an engineer so I'm sure I can let the magic white smoke out.
If you want to take a stab at it please let us know how it comes out.
I really like Arrcos but I don't know if I am going to redo all my grips every 2 years.

You can change the batteries on the screw in sensors its just the grip ones that are "Allegedly" not able to be replaced.

If you want to take a stab at it please let us know how it comes out.
I really like Arrcos but I don't know if I am going to redo all my grips every 2 years.
Will do. You don't have to redo your grips every time the sensor assembly pops out the back and you can pop a new one in. I'll try to get you a video showing it.

You can change the batteries on the screw in sensors its just the grip ones that are "Allegedly" not able to be replaced.
Not necessarily true. Paul (@PKorf) let me know that the new screw in ones use the same sensor assembly as these. The older generation screw in ones were the ones that allow you to change the battery.

@93civiccpe NAILED IT!

haven't tried replacing a dead sensor battery, but have replaced and swapped out multiple sensors with no issues. Once you cut the plastic, unless you can rig that back together that sensor is gone.

I was thinking about this the other day, why could you not replace the plastic wrap portion with some shrink tube? I may try this at home tonight with some of my extra sensors.

I was thinking about this the other day, why could you not replace the plastic wrap portion with some shrink tube? I may try this at home tonight with some of my extra sensors.
I have a full electronics tool kit and will experiment since I have a dead sensor. I was thinking the same thing about heat shrink tubing but the leads were well adhered to the battery if I remember correctly.

I have a full electronics tool kit and will experiment since I have a dead sensor. I was thinking the same thing about heat shrink tubing but the leads were well adhered to the battery if I remember correctly.
Looking forward to seeing the results!

Looking forward to seeing the results!
Here's a quick video.. Sorry for the crappy quality:

Also, I continued to take it apart and the foil tape leads are adhered down quite well. When pulling back the one on the bottom it tore a bit even though I was trying to be careful. You can see the two spots on the top piece of foil which are where the bottom one wanted to rip. From a quick look of the electronics they look somewhat fragile. I believe it's possible if you use a conductive adhesive to put a new battery in then use a wider heat shrink tubing to seal it all up but this is clearly a disposable sensor. I would worry that I would put in all that work and then the sensor still not work. For $5 I will just continue to buy the replacement sensors. 20200309_234729.jpg20200309_234753.jpg

The batteries contained within the Cobra Connect grip are easily replaced. I had a couple sensors die in grips with built in sensor that were less than 12 months old and Cobra sent a couple replacement batteries. Took a super small flat screwdriver to pull back the rubber capsule on the grip and the battery popped right out..... analogy would be like a bike tire on a rim when you need to replace the inner tube....... pushed in the new battery in the space, ran the small screwdriver round the edge to pull rubber into place.... pulled up Arccos App and re-paired club and away you go.....

The batteries contained within the Cobra Connect grip are easily replaced. I had a couple sensors die in grips with built in sensor that were less than 12 months old and Cobra sent a couple replacement batteries. Took a super small flat screwdriver to pull back the rubber capsule on the grip and the battery popped right out..... analogy would be like a bike tire on a rim when you need to replace the inner tube....... pushed in the new battery in the space, ran the small screwdriver round the edge to pull rubber into place.... pulled up Arccos App and re-paired club and away you go.....
@Stemmy66 you replaced the battery & sensor assembly like I showed above correct?

For $5 just replace the whole thing, it's easy to do. No point in trying to change just the battery.

For $5 just replace the whole thing, it's easy to do. No point in trying to change just the battery.
I came to the same conclusion. Not worth all the effort as I don't think it would hold together as well. Can you ask Jose /Yags if they can reuse the components? If hate to just throw them out of cobra can recycle the assemblies. I am pretty sure the answer is no but figured I would ask.

I came to the same conclusion. Not worth all the effort as I don't think it would hold together as well. Can you ask Jose /Yags if they can reuse the components? If hate to just throw them out of cobra can recycle the assemblies. I am pretty sure the answer is no but figured I would ask.
I'm guessing no too. It probably costs .50 to make it so why bother haha

I’d imagine they aren’t going to be able to recycle the components (or it would not be cost effective) but that’s a great thought. I’d love to know too

Hey @jdtox where on Cobra's site did you find these for $5? My driver sensor died and I need to replace it. Arccos sent me a replacement, but it was the screw-in type.

On a related note, does anyone know if you can open up the screw-in sensor and pop the unit into a grip?

Edit: I found it on Cobra's site. They are out of stock. :(

Holy crap. I had no idea they even had batteries in them lol.

There are three versions:
1) was with obviously and easily replaceable battery
2) was the second generation with not obvious, but completely possible (by a klutz like me), battery replacement - requires creativity, minimal patience and a CR2032 - and maybe some ultra this shrink wrap/covering
3) is the in-grip model - seems like these should be replaceable but if the formal buy/replace model is $5 per sensor , I'd just buy the replacements

Back