Coronavirus and the Masters

for players, private flights are not banned. If they are good enough to be in the Masters I think they can manage a private flight to get here.

If the virus worsens I expect most pros will not want to participate in a golf tournament.

Are you a voting member of Augusta National? If not, why are you opining about what a private club may or may not do?

Private clubs are not exempt from Federal, State , Local laws and, or, regulations. It is preposterous to think that Augusta National (or any other private institution) would not comply with the rules.
All over the world right now governments are instituting rules prohibiting large gatherings of people.

Are you a voting member of Augusta National? If not, why are you opining about what a private club may or may not do?
I have no say in anything, but regardless of whether any club is private or not, if a national/regional law is passed banning gatherings, then surely they have to adhere to it regardless of what the members think?

Genuine question, and not trying to promote an argument

Private clubs are not exempt from Federal, State , Local laws and, or, regulations. It is preposterous to think that Augusta National (or any other private institution) would not comply with the rules.
All over the world right now governments are instituting rules prohibiting large gatherings of people.

Well yes and no.
If the government shuts down crowds, Augusta National would have to comply.
But the government has acts against discrimination by sex and clubs are exempt, so its not as black and white as you are making it out to be.

Just woke up to a headline about Trump suspending all travel between US and Europe for 30 days; that would about kill the Master's I would think...
How does that affect any European players due to participate (outside of the UK)?

for players, private flights are not banned. If they are good enough to be in the Masters I think they can manage a private flight to get here.
I didn't know that as I haven't read any details. I have a friend stuck in Spain, but he says he can get home if he can make it to the U.K.; I didn't know that either.

I also saw a headline that the NBA has canceled the season... Crazy times.

How does that affect any European players due to participate (outside of the UK)?
Here in the UK, we suddenly acquire a lot more golfers as they all apply for citizenship so that they can fly over and compete, assuming they aren't already in the US for another tournament

Here in the UK, we suddenly acquire a lot more golfers as they all apply for citizenship so that they can fly over and compete, assuming they aren't already in the US for another tournament
Youre probably right, most of the players are already there playing in the Players. Sounds like a riddle.

I didn't know that as I haven't read any details. I have a friend stuck in Spain, but he says he can get home if he can make it to the U.K.; I didn't know that either.

I also saw a headline that the NBA has canceled the season... Crazy times.

seriously crazy, but at some point it should pass. I just hate living a timid life.

Well yes and no.
If the government shuts down crowds, Augusta National would have to comply.
But the government has acts against discrimination by sex and clubs are exempt, so its not as black and white as you are making it out to be.

I think private clubs have always gotten away with membership discrimination against race, creed, gender etc... because (as a private club) they maintain the right to their own membership approval criteria. It's probably something that could be fought in a court of law, but as far as I know nobody denied membership to a golf club as taken legal action against that club.
About 30 years ago I think the PGA Tour told Cypress Point GC that (unless they accepted a particular gender and, or, race as a member) the course could no longer be part of the annual Crosby/AT&T tournament. Cypress Point membership told the PGA Tour to kick rocks and ever since then has not been a Tour tournament course.

Man, the UK is going to become inundated with people trying to get there today and tomorrow. Yikes!

PGA just announced no more fans for now. I wonder if this will apply to Augusta since it isn’t part of the PGA. I couldn’t image they don’t do this. Just from the liability aspect of it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PGA just announced no more fans for now. I wonder if this will apply to Augusta since it isn’t part of the PGA. I couldn’t image they don’t do this. Just from the liability aspect of it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah if you noticed when the end date was, it was the event right before The Masters.

Yep, still a lot of uncertainty for the Masters.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 11.31.31 AM.png

I think private clubs have always gotten away with membership discrimination against race, creed, gender etc... because (as a private club) they maintain the right to their own membership approval criteria. It's probably something that could be fought in a court of law, but as far as I know nobody denied membership to a golf club as taken legal action against that club.
About 30 years ago I think the PGA Tour told Cypress Point GC that (unless they accepted a particular gender and, or, race as a member) the course could no longer be part of the annual Crosby/AT&T tournament. Cypress Point membership told the PGA Tour to kick rocks and ever since then has not been a Tour tournament course.

You said that clubs had to abide by government rules and regulations. I was merely pointing out that that is not a black and white rule.
And yes lawsuits have been filed against clubs based on this.

just announced, postponed

UGH.

And my heart, it breaks.

Yep, I was just notified the Masters has been postponed....

This tournament is still a month away :oops: So we should be expecting nothing for the next couple months I guess

This tournament is still a month away :oops: So we should be expecting nothing for the next couple months I guess
Makes sense. Not like it's disappearing anytime soon.

Well this is a sh***y tradition unlike any other :cautious:

Back