Car Detailing Thread

Any suggestions on fixing a four inch cut in the seating area of a car seat. Right in the seating area.

Any suggestions on fixing a four inch cut in the seating area of a car seat. Right in the seating area.
Usually with actual cuts/tears, you will need an automotive upholstery shop to fix something like that. If it is just normal wear/stretching you can usually buy a good two part leather cleaner/conditioner to fix it.

Polished and waxed this weekend instead of golf. First time polishing this pickup in seven years... Griots Perfecting Cream and Boss 15mm orbital made easy work. It mostly got out all the snowbrush scratches along the top of the doors on the first pass. Finished with Collinite 845 followed by Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant - it turned out great.

C2852A0D-A5FD-4A39-8788-18166E33DFE7.jpegDBD3A4FB-E623-4088-8DC4-8824E7DB999E.jpeg4146F244-8425-4B46-AD15-AA26F8FE9117.jpeg

Polished and waxed this weekend instead of golf. First time polishing this pickup in seven years... Griots Perfecting Cream and Boss 15mm orbital made easy work. It mostly got out all the snowbrush scratches along the top of the doors on the first pass. Finished with Collinite 845 followed by Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant - it turned out great.

View attachment 8952051View attachment 8952052View attachment 8952053

Look at that mirror reflection! Looks good! I really need to do this to my truck one of these days. Knowing me, I'll say the same thing in about a month.

View attachment 8952051View attachment 8952052View attachment 8952053
Looks great! I did mine about 2 months ago using Meguiar's products. There is a lot of real estate on a super crew F150!

Actually @GraniteRoost, you have inspired me to take a break from THP and watching golf, and go wash my truck. It won't be looking as nice as yours though!

Looks great! I did mine about 2 months ago using Meguiar's products. There is a lot of real estate on a super crew F150!

You aren't kidding! 6.5 ft. bed and camper shell too 😬

All I do is vacuum out the 4Runner and clean the windows on the inside. I don't want anyone in my car. Just take it for exterior wash.
People have always commented how clean my vehicles look. I hate the smell of most petrochemicals, and car wax is one of em, unfortunately. I'd have to pay to have it detailed.

I used to do mine on a regular basis, until I bought this. Did it a week and a half ago for the first time in at least a year. It’s time consuming so I usually pay for it. I also have to get started around 530 am because the sun just makes it even harder E088495F-7397-4AE5-87DF-4DB3C1B206AA.jpeg

I used to do mine on a regular basis, until I bought this. Did it a week and a half ago for the first time in at least a year. It’s time consuming so I usually pay for it. I also have to get started around 530 am because the sun just makes it even harder View attachment 8952056

Looks great! I have an ARE shell on mine also. Black trucks this size are a challenge for sure... way too time consuming. I have to spread mine out over a couple days unless I get perfect conditions. Wash and Clay is a good Day 1, then polish and wax on Day 2. Not perfect, but its a process.

Looks great! I have an ARE shell on mine also. Black trucks this size are a challenge for sure... way too time consuming. I have to spread mine out over a couple days unless I get perfect conditions. Wash and Clay is a good Day 1, then polish and wax on Day 2. Not perfect, but its a process.
Don’t think I could find the motivation 2 days in a row. I have a friend that owns a shop and does an amazing job twice a year. The ARE is very nice.

I bought my daughters white Hyundai sante Fe’s used. Both are white. Are there are products (Sealants, clay bar) I shouldn’t use on a white surface. I am afraid of yellowing.
Also what does a quick detailer do. Do I just spray it on to shine it up a little. Thanks

I bought my daughters white Hyundai sante Fe’s used. Both are white. Are there are products (Sealants, clay bar) I shouldn’t use on a white surface. I am afraid of yellowing.
Also what does a quick detailer do. Do I just spray it on to shine it up a little. Thanks

Most products shouldn't yellow. Some carnauba products have been known to offer a warmer tint, but outside of that, you should be fine.

No sir, car detailing products do not act like a film with no UV protection. Car detailing products more so bond to the paint, so you would never get a "yellowing" effect like your thinking no matter what color your paint is. Detailing products (unless they specifically state it) in general are all color/paint safe. Quick detailer is just that, it is something to use on relatively clean paint to "quickly detail" it from dust, light dirt or just generally spot clean it (i.e. bird poop). However it is no replacement to washing your car if it's dirty and IMO I tend to use a product called Optimum No Rinse more so to replace washing my car now en days. ONR is a lot safer on the paint and easier to use/quicker, plus you use less water and can do it in the comforts of your garage.
Also your paint is only as durable/easy to maintain as how you prep/protect it. The key to longevity with any car's paint is proper initial decontamination (iron remover/clay bar), paint correction, then lastly a good paint sealant or ceramic coating. This will vastly increase the durability of your paint and allow you to easily clean it when it gets dirty.

Had some water spots on GG’s trunk and wanted to test out the new Adam’s Graphene spray. A quick wipe down with a no rinse to the area, and the results are awesome.

Before
The rainbow haze after applying
Wiped down

971C9C5A-AA12-4DF8-9D60-70262DA37BAA.jpeg
BDCC9A28-C35E-4069-9EEC-39D61DFB47EE.jpeg
D34EB2A7-63F0-4CBF-9F98-F1DB3893BD9E.jpeg

That looks great. Looked up the Adams spray, thanks for posting.
First time using it, but have heard the longevity is fantastic for a spray.

Impressed with the application and only did the trunk. I will be doing her car and mine in the next week

Any suggestions for when the clear coat starts to go?

Interested in opinions and cost of ceramic coating. I have a 5 year old car that I bought used last August, but it only had 10k miles so it wasn't used much and didn't see the sun too much. I'd like to keep it looking good, but I don't think I want to spend thousands to get it done.

Interested in opinions and cost of ceramic coating. I have a 5 year old car that I bought used last August, but it only had 10k miles so it wasn't used much and didn't see the sun too much. I'd like to keep it looking good, but I don't think I want to spend thousands to get it done.

I have been doing a more basic ceramic coating on our cars. I’ve been using the chemical guys stuff and have been very happy with their product. Was easy to apply and didn’t take long. It’s not a “true” ceramic but for a fraction of the price it holds up really well. I’ve used on my daily driver (Tacoma) and some older cars (‘02 WRX, ‘05 911) and they look amazing.
Key is prep. All of these cars were washed, clay bar, polished, wax and the ceramic applied.
Note that the WRX has spent most of its life outside in PA and FL. Still has gloss to it.

B226EDF0-A3CE-4BE1-85DF-D29122413429.jpeg56159A25-264D-408A-8301-52F49C36710C.jpeg74B381E9-9A25-4CF6-8342-C3B57ED2A6A8.jpegAD383C80-E5C7-456A-913A-6EBEDCF40ECE.jpeg8178B470-8E2A-4629-8BDE-E9B63A9CB95E.jpeg

Pretty polarizing opinions out there, especially based on some of the new stuff coming out that is quasi ceramic and graphene that is consumer grade and lasts for months and months. We have been testing the Adams one above and so far really really like it.

Pretty polarizing opinions out there, especially based on some of the new stuff coming out that is quasi ceramic and graphene that is consumer grade and lasts for months and months. We have been testing the Adams one above and so far really really like it.

That stuff looks good, I might give it a try. Thanks JB.

I've used Adam's products in the past and like them a lot. The graphene looks really interesting.

Having just bought a car this week, i ordered the Graphene ceramic coating products to use on mine and the wife's cars. Definitely need to polish hers and get some swirls marks and small scratches out. thankfully paint on mine is going to need very minimal work.

I've used Adam's products in the past and like them a lot. The graphene looks really interesting.

Having just bought a car this week, i ordered the Graphene ceramic coating products to use on mine and the wife's cars. Definitely need to polish hers and get some swirls marks and small scratches out. thankfully paint on mine is going to need very minimal work.

GG's car is getting a single stage polish done and then we will apply the entire car. My car is clean of scratches so when we get hers back, we will do both. The spray I used was very easy.

GG's car is getting a single stage polish done and then we will apply the entire car. My car is clean of scratches so when we get hers back, we will do both. The spray I used was very easy.
An Adam's user here, so very interested in the Graphene spray. I've used the Ceramic Boost in the past, as my top coat on my truck, as well as the H2O Guard and Gloss after a wash on my wife's car, both with great effect. Never done a full ceramic coat, but this Graphene Spray interests me.

Back