Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say locally all the THPers have been great. A couple of scares so far but it seems everything is good so far. Lots of support here and I appreciate it. I’m sure this is consistent around the country.

California is shut down but as a critical business we are staying open to continue work. We are working on a COVID 19 rapid diagnostic as well as a potential treatment and hoping to receive approval to work on a vaccine. Splitting the company into 2 shifts to further distance employees and asking all employees to sign a pledge to obey "shelter in place" guidelines outside of work. I'll be hunkering down when not in the lab and trying to find as much remote work as possible for my team.

On the only bright news in sometime, my tendinitis in my elbow is finally subsiding as I can't go to the gym or golf. Ordered some equipment online but it looks like it's push ups and sit ups for me this weekend.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy out there! Glad to have a community like this to chat with during tough times like this.

Thought it was coming today. But instead we can carry out liquor from restaurants when we get food. And they formed an economic panel to guide the state afterwards. But the Rockies owner is on it so there goes all hope.
I've told some of the guys I work with & my wife as well that I will bet it happens within a a week. I think they are letting everyone have one last fun weekend with alcohol to go before they shut us down for a couple of weeks.

Hospital finally let my mom in to see my dad but nobody else. Sepsis. They can't do anything else for him. We're struggling with the dilemma of travel in coronavirus times. I don't think we could have a typical funeral service now, and given Julie's potential exposure to COVID-19 from her boss, I don't know that we should travel. Julie has a cold and I'm sniffling. These are complicated times. BTW, I appreciate the kind thoughts and and prayers from the THP community. You are an amazing group.

Here's a golf picture of my dad from the early 1970s. He had this picture pinned up in his office, and I took a photo of it last time I was there. He was in his mid-30s then. PhD/MD. He grew up very poor and was the first in his family to go to college. He picked up his MD while working as a postdoc and also teaching classes. Then he went back to his small hometown, a farming community. They needed a doctor. He delivered babies, did surgeries, etc. and only charged what people could afford. Allways on call. I rarely saw him then. Great man. Terrible golfer. He had a good decade of golfing with his buddies before he stopped when he moved to Colorado, which was always his dream. His best friend was the PGA pro at the local Elks club course who died of an environmental-caused skin disease. I think golf died for my dad with Gary. I wish I had embraced golf back then. It was one of the few things pop was able to do to let off steam. He told me that when he couldn't sleep he would play the course in his head to relax. I will find a similar outfit and rock it on the course.

View attachment 8932772

Your Dad is a great man as he practiced his profession adhering to his oath of helping others first. A true gift for the rest of us. Your family will stay strong and wish for speedy recovery for you and your wife.

I actually support the idea of places like golf courses being kept open, at a limited capacity. No packed ranges, no packed putting greens, limited access to pro shop, etc. Spread out the tee times.

While I agree that we need to be as careful as possible, we also need to maintain some form of sanity through this.
Think courses are giving everyone their own cart down here.

Hospital finally let my mom in to see my dad but nobody else. Sepsis. They can't do anything else for him. We're struggling with the dilemma of travel in coronavirus times. I don't think we could have a typical funeral service now, and given Julie's potential exposure to COVID-19 from her boss, I don't know that we should travel. Julie has a cold and I'm sniffling. These are complicated times. BTW, I appreciate the kind thoughts and and prayers from the THP community. You are an amazing group.

Here's a golf picture of my dad from the early 1970s. He had this picture pinned up in his office, and I took a photo of it last time I was there. He was in his mid-30s then. PhD/MD. He grew up very poor and was the first in his family to go to college. He picked up his MD while working as a postdoc and also teaching classes. Then he went back to his small hometown, a farming community. They needed a doctor. He delivered babies, did surgeries, etc. and only charged what people could afford. Allways on call. I rarely saw him then. Great man. Terrible golfer. He had a good decade of golfing with his buddies before he stopped when he moved to Colorado, which was always his dream. His best friend was the PGA pro at the local Elks club course who died of an environmental-caused skin disease. I think golf died for my dad with Gary. I wish I had embraced golf back then. It was one of the few things pop was able to do to let off steam. He told me that when he couldn't sleep he would play the course in his head to relax. I will find a similar outfit and rock it on the course.

View attachment 8932772
My thoughts and prayers go out to you brother!

local wise i stay informed. I am a volunteer Community Emergency Response Team Member. WE stay up on the info form the Fire Department Chief and Town. I think some of the municipalities were slow in reacting, some around us are more forward thinking. I have worked form home for the last two weeks and i KNOW I am working form Home the next two, minimum.

BC: no new deaths today, all 8 are linked to Lynn Valley Care Centre, 348 current confirmed cases, 22 in hospital, 24 healthcare workers positive with mild symptoms

full dine-in ban province-wide

BC Hotel Association estimates 40,000 hotel workers will be laid off

View attachment 8932772

I’d like to express my condolences to you during this period. I hope that you can find comfort in happy memories of this truly remarkable man.

I suspect Florida might be the next state to follow CA, NY, and IL. We just went to no dine in at restaurants at all. Before it was 50% capacity but now it’s no dine in at all.

I think to stop spring breakers from gathering they will have us join the other shelter in place states. We shall see.

There is no end to the stupidity of some people. So the moron I posted about the other day that supposedly went to work after taking the test and it came back positive later......... lied and made it all up. Yes you read that correctly. He had no symptoms, never saw the doctor, never took a test, etc. Evidently he just thought it was a great way to sit at home and get paid not to work.

I got some supplies

Attachments

• IMG-20200320-WA0017.jpeg
    IMG-20200320-WA0017.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 22
We’re also the third most populous nation on earth so number so days to 100 is a little misleading. Unless I’m confused which I frequently a.m.

Very good point. I'm honestly wondering whether the rise in the curve is due to increased transmission or due to slightly increased testing.

We're also very different from the smaller European countries in terms of size and density of population. The bigger cities are what is more concerning at this point from a numbers standpoint.

Had 3 of my 5 service men call in today sick so I was the welder. We are still working as the construction industry is still working. I can keep them working though this panic if I can keep the people.
Anyone needing a job in the Lakeland area needs to pm me.

And I pay very good

There is no end to the stupidity of some people. So the moron I posted about the other day that supposedly went to work after taking the test and it came back positive later......... lied and made it all up. Yes you read that correctly. He had no symptoms, never saw the doctor, never took a test, etc. Evidently he just thought it was a great way to sit at home and get paid not to work.
What a dick. He should be arrested and be made to take care of infected patients.

Had 3 of my 5 service men call in today sick so I was the welder. We are still working as the construction industry is still working. I can keep them working though this panic if I can keep the people.
Anyone needing a job in the Lakeland area needs to pm me.
Depends what type of welding you’re talking about, I used to do that for a living (mig) we get shut down up here (probably won’t in AG supply) I could head south.

This story has more plot twists than a Shonda Rhimes sitcom. Crazy.

Depends what type of welding you’re talking about, I used to do that for a living (mig) we get shut down up here (probably won’t in AG supply) I could head south.
It is equpment repair work, I have a stick and mig steup and ordered a TIG setup for the small stuff. The welding is a side thing we mostly do repair work on Hydraulics and Diesel hammers (piledriving equipment) so the work is never the same day to day. But we are a privately owned Company and have never had a layoff no mater how bad the economy is, it is not pretty work work and you get dirty. But there is always a paycheck coming and overtime is a given.

It is equpment repair work, I have a stick and mig steup and ordered a TIG setup for the small stuff. The welding is a side thing we mostly do repair work on Hydraulics and Diesel hammers (piledriving equipment) so the work is never the same day to day. But we are a privately owned Company and have never had a layoff no mater how bad the economy is, it is not pretty work work and you get dirty. But there is always a paycheck coming and overtime is a given.
If it comes to it, I’ve climbed silos to work in silage (though I don’t fit through the silo doors any more) and crawled through cow **** to fix gutter cleaners, getting dirty isn’t a big deal. It would take losing my business but I’m not far from that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back