Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with this. When your worth BILLIONS asking employees to take pay cuts in this time of crisis is a serious lack of decency.

Sixers and Devils at-will employees were informed today that temporary salary reductions of up to 20 percent will be instituted for employees making more than $50,000 starting April 15 through the end of June, @NYTSports has learned

And you want me to buy Jerseys and other items? Are you kidding here?

I have a problem with this. When your worth BILLIONS asking employees to take pay cuts in this time of crisis is a serious lack of decency.

Sixers and Devils at-will employees were informed today that temporary salary reductions of up to 20 percent will be instituted for employees making more than $50,000 starting April 15 through the end of June, @NYTSports has learned

I am sure there are better options out there, but there are far far worse options from an employer standpoint, right?

more course closures...

Hoping all the actions we’ve taken in the NY tri-state area helps slow the spread. Positive thoughts and thanks to all the essential workers out there helping to save lives and keep out society running. Hoping they stay safe.

Im going the other way. Full hippie. :cool:
I’ve never really gone native....probably a great opportunity. My fear is that I will become a silver maned 🦊. Or a silverbac.

I get it, but I also get it from the employer side as well. I have been recommending to my clients a reduction of salary across the board as an alternative to laying off some employees for 1 to 2 pay periods. Our hope is that we can repay that money in the form of a bonus or other compensation later on, perhaps with a payroll tax reduction or other regulatory relief that will make it cheaper. Otherwise someone is going without a paycheck, because regardless of the morality of it, there is very little legal impediment to simply firing them in at-will employment states.

I am sure there are better options out there, but there are far far worse options from an employer standpoint, right?

Being an employer, not remotely in this category, I can totally understand some very hard decisions and sacrifices may have to be made.

This type of business I say shame to. It’s a different stratosphere when your worth that much money. This is an NBA and NHL franchise worth billions. While other organizations are taking care of their employees, this owner wants to cut salary or will let people go
Maybe I am a bit naive.

Ohio will be stay at home in a few hours. I’ve been essentially staying at home for 11 days now. Only times I’ve been out have been to pick up groceries at curbside drop off, or to golf. When golfing, didn’t come within 10 feet of another person, even at check in (there was no check in)

Our course is trying to stay open, but who knows if they’ll be able to. Here was the first part of an email I got today.

Dear Members,

With Governor Dewine's stay at home order, I would like to briefly inform everyone of what we have learned today with regards to the closure of many non-essential businesses, including Country Clubs.

The Miami Valley G.A., The Buckeye G.A. and the Northern Ohio Golf Associations have all petitioned the Governor to keep golf courses open for normal outdoor activity.

As of 1pm today, March 23rd, I have not seen any final decision, however, it is possible that courses will remain open for walking only, yet pro shops will have to close. As soon as we hear any final, specific ruling on this, we will inform the membership.

Oregon’s governor issued the SIP order today. I’m not sure it changes that much for the people who were following the previous rules. Those who weren’t now face a Class C misdemeanor.

Oregon’s governor issued the SIP order today. I’m not sure it changes that much for the people who were following the previous rules. Those who weren’t now face a Class C misdemeanor.

Oh wow he's not playing around

I get it, but I also get it from the employer side as well. I have been recommending to my clients a reduction of salary across the board as an alternative to laying off some employees for 1 to 2 pay periods. Our hope is that we can repay that money in the form of a bonus or other compensation later on, perhaps with a payroll tax reduction or other regulatory relief that will make it cheaper. Otherwise someone is going without a paycheck, because regardless of the morality of it, there is very little legal impediment to simply firing them in at-will employment states.
Perfect example...
This is an economic *and* public health crisis, not only one or the other.

Balancing the two is critical, or we risk unprecedented effects in all parts of life.

Pragmatism will be key. I think the 15 Day ask from the WH was to allow the supply chain to get more caught up, and we will be asked to go back to work in the vast majority of the country on April 1st...

A few numbers in support of what arydolphin posted earlier

Number of tests administered each day continues to increase dramatically, per the COVID Tracking Project, as of 4 pm ET on the date noted

Mar-15 7,174
Mar-16 13,752
Mar-17 13,243
Mar-18 21,538
Mar-19 27,372
Mar-20 16,819
Mar-21 22,881
Mar-22 31,490
Mar-23 41,693

So the tests are coming. Pending test results have also increased, from 2,242 on March 15 to 2,842 on March 22 to 14,571 on March 23.

You can guarantee a lawsuit from the ACLU over that. How can people be arrested/fined over constitutionally protected rights? People need to stay the f home but not forced to do it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow he's not playing around

Slightly related: this video of Italian government officials getting upset at people breaking quarantine is the funniest thing I've seen all day long.

Pragmatism will be key. I think the 15 Day ask from the WH was to allow the supply chain to get more caught up, and we will be asked to go back to work in the vast majority of the country on April 1st...
I surely hope your correct, but our Governor has already order a SIP till April 6th, so I wonder how this will play out if some states are going back on April 1st.

I surely hope your correct, but our Governor has already order a SIP till April 6th, so I wonder how this will play out if some states are going back on April 1st.
Sometimes I’m right, I said that the mortality rate would be closer to S.Korea’s than Italy’s. ✅
In TN, we have a “Safe at Home” order, but there are so many essential businesses, it was hard to tell the difference in just my brief time out of the house today.

April 1st to April 6th is a good range for the restrictions being lifted.

Slightly related: this video of Italian government officials getting upset at people breaking quarantine is the funniest thing I've seen all day long.

The flamethrowers thing is a nice touch...

I may shave my head if I can’t get a haircut.....I would be scared it wouldn’t grow back like Elaines boyfriend....
Once you go bald you won't want to grow your hair back. I shave my head every morning & I wouldn't grow my hair out if I could.

Tucker Carlson had a fantastic show tonight - very informative as always. You all should check it out.

America as we know it might never be the same...

lmao, imagine a Mayor walking around in the US doing that? :ROFLMAO:

Being an employer, not remotely in this category, I can totally understand some very hard decisions and sacrifices may have to be made.

This type of business I say shame to. It’s a different stratosphere when your worth that much money. This is an NBA and NHL franchise worth billions. While other organizations are taking care of their employees, this owner wants to cut salary or will let people go
Maybe I am a bit naive.
No, that resonates quite a bit - and definitely falls on the 'better options' that I was talking about - but I don't expect that many companies to have ownership or ladder climbers who have that kind of compassion. We're light-years away from the old school notion that employees are family (in truth, not in text, I read that bs regularly).

There are some great leaders out there willing to sacrifice pretty aggressively (monetarily not in life) to make sure their employees are getting what they need. I need to pay close attention in case I ever feel like working for a company like that.

Hearing that as of midnight tomorrow (Tuesday the 24th) all non-essential businesses in Ontario will be mandated to close. The list of "non-essential" will be released tomorrow around noon, but word is that the LCBO (liquor store) and Beer Store will remain open.

I believe that all of the local McDonalds have had their dining rooms closed for over a week, and it appears that our national coffee chain (Tim Hortons) is now also exclusively drive-thru.

I gave my father a home haircut about an hour ago, he is 77 years old and I told him that "going out" for a haircut was not a good idea.

Certainly unprecedented times we are living through right now. Hope everyone here on the THP community remain smart and safe.
Hair salons, barber shops, nail salons etc got told to close in BC the other day.

If you’re interested in numbers and charts, the WHO has some pretty interesting COVID-19 data.

From my perspective there’s good news and bad news here:

1. The number of cases and deaths worldwide continues to rise at a rapid pace.

2. The overall mortality rate is significant at 4.4%. Of course, some countries like ours are behind in testing so the true denominator is probably understated. So the real mortality rate is likely lower.

3. China’s total cases have plateaued as new cases have slowed remarkably. That said, they have strict social controls in place. And, their government has a long history of manipulating data (e.g. economic) to match their narrative.

4. Iran’s and Italy’s new case counts are showing signs of peaking. So their total case counts are growing but decelerating.

5. New US cases are rising exponentially. We know this is partially due to increased testing. But we are also several weeks behind other countries in executing rigorous social distancing practices.

Still some things to be concerned about but there is hope.

AAD34E9A-D418-44FC-BBDC-426EFA8B0E7E.jpeg
8979B217-B28E-46CD-BB25-772C399B213C.jpeg
B4ECC49D-0356-4E6A-BED1-1EB941EA195F.jpeg
D28C165D-5471-47C9-9F0E-00C3C7FD37FE.jpeg
94219A4A-D78A-4B04-8B55-CF7A28516EF3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back