Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the golf course being one of the safest places to be, and the course I was at on Sunday
doing a great job in making sure golfers didn’t come into contact with anything, the county have ordered all courses to close. Bollocks!

More than likely. I'm not a fan, but they're the only game in town worth a damn.
No complaints about their service here. They've upgraded speeds considerably here the last few years. It's disappointing that long-term customers don't get some kind of consideration when handing out freebies.

If you’re interested in numbers and charts, the WHO has some pretty interesting COVID-19 data.

From my perspective there’s good news and bad news here:

1. The number of cases and deaths worldwide continues to rise at a rapid pace.

2. The overall mortality rate is significant at 4.4%. Of course, some countries like ours are behind in testing so the true denominator is probably understated. So the real mortality rate is likely lower.

3. China’s total cases have plateaued as new cases have slowed remarkably. That said, they have strict social controls in place. And, their government has a long history of manipulating data (e.g. economic) to match their narrative.

4. Iran’s and Italy’s new case counts are showing signs of peaking. So their total case counts are growing but decelerating.

5. New US cases are rising exponentially. We know this is partially due to increased testing. But we are also several weeks behind other countries in executing rigorous social distancing practices.

Still some things to be concerned about but there is hope.

View attachment 8933413
View attachment 8933414
View attachment 8933415
View attachment 8933416
View attachment 8933417
Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Switzerland & England, the six European countries with the largest viral outbreaks, all had declining total new daily cases and/or deaths in the past 24 hours....

That is good news too...

WA state today - Stay Home, Stay Healthy order. "stay home unless you need to pursue an essential activity"

Yes I just watched it. His point is entirely valid. I agree with him.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I feel like the country would have been better off if we would have immediately implemented a full travel ban and home quarantine for 2-3 weeks and then got back to business as usual at home while keeping international travel banned until the rest of the world worked things out.

Now I’m ready for everyone to either **** or get off the pot. I know it’s not easy for those in charge and don’t envy the top.

You can guarantee a lawsuit from the ACLU over that. How can people be arrested/fined over constitutionally protected rights? People need to stay the f home but not forced to do it this way.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked it up. In Oregon there are existing statutes which give the governor certain powers when an emergency or public health emergency are declared. The statutes also name the penalty for failure to com0ly with a validly declared emergency order. I imagine every other state has similar provisions.

You can guarantee a lawsuit from the ACLU over that. How can people be arrested/fined over constitutionally protected rights? People need to stay the f home but not forced to do it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because... tyranny.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I feel like the country would have been better off if we would have immediately implemented a full travel ban and home quarantine for 2-3 weeks and then got back to business as usual at home while keeping international travel banned until the rest of the world worked things out.

Now I’m ready for everyone to either **** or get off the pot. I know it’s not easy for those in charge and don’t envy the top.

It's always easy to Monday morning QB, but I'm going to do it anyway. When the post-action report is written there are a few glaring errors that let this get out of hand.

1. Through bad planning and bad luck, we got WAY behind in testing. The CDC insisted on developing its own test, which turned out to be faulty. And they waited too long to give the green light for labs/schools to develop their own. The countries who got ahead of this flooded the zone with tests and quickly developed rapid response tests. Weeks into this we still don't have enough tests and the ones we have take days to get results. South Korea has it down to a walkthrough test where they can text results within hours. Given the long incubation period, it's impossible to control mitigation without an accurate count of who is positive and testing people they have come in contact with.

2. The failure to secure enough PPE equipment to protect health line workers. It's embarrassing that the richest country in the world is relying on donations and good deeds to arm our health care providers.

3. There wasn't a proactive plan to ramp up our hospital capacity as this was breaking out. The military and national guard should have been deployed as needed to hot spots to help build out capacity.

4. There wasn't a clear proactive plan communicated for how we were going to attack this as a nation. The US and South Korea had their first case on the same day. SK had a plan they communicated to their citizens and it has been executed flawlessly. We've seem to be flat-footed and addressing each stage 4-6 weeks behind.

Hopefully, we can dig our way out of it, but it's a big hole.

San Diego has actually had to issue on order to closed gates at state parks, city parks, trails and the beach because people kept showing up and not adhering to request for social distancing.

It's always easy to Monday morning QB, but I'm going to do it anyway. When the post-action report is written there are a few glaring errors that let this get out of hand.

1. Through bad planning and bad luck, we got WAY behind in testing. The CDC insisted on developing its own test, which turned out to be faulty. And they waited too long to give the green light for labs/schools to develop their own. The countries who got ahead of this flooded the zone with tests and quickly developed rapid response tests. Weeks into this we still don't have enough tests and the ones we have take days to get results. South Korea has it down to a walkthrough test where they can text results within hours. Given the long incubation period, it's impossible to control mitigation without an accurate count of who is positive and testing people they have come in contact with.

2. The failure to secure enough PPE equipment to protect health line workers. It's embarrassing that the richest country in the world is relying on donations and good deeds to arm our health care providers.

3. There wasn't a proactive plan to ramp up our hospital capacity as this was breaking out. The military and national guard should have been deployed as needed to hot spots to help build out capacity.

4. There wasn't a clear proactive plan communicated for how we were going to attack this as a nation. The US and South Korea had their first case on the same day. SK had a plan they communicated to their citizens and it has been executed flawlessly. We've seem to be flat-footed and addressing each stage 4-6 weeks behind.

Hopefully, we can dig our way out of it, but it's a big hole.
South Korea has less than 1/6 of our population. South Korea has had 2.01 deaths per million; the US has had 1.27.

Oregon’s governor issued the SIP order today. I’m not sure it changes that much for the people who were following the previous rules. Those who weren’t now face a Class C misdemeanor.

I contacted Bandon today to see when I might expect my refund. I inquired as to the rest of my group and was told that they were still on (arrival on 4/2)!! Sounds like that may have changed shortly after I talked to the associate. Hats off to them for refunding, I would have taken a credit but in these wild times, it’s appreciated.

Last edited:
Sometimes I’m right, I said that the mortality rate would be closer to S.Korea’s than Italy’s. ✅
In TN, we have a “Safe at Home” order, but there are so many essential businesses, it was hard to tell the difference in just my brief time out of the house today.

April 1st to April 6th is a good range for the restrictions being lifted.

Are the courses still open in TN? I am supposed to be leaving Saturday. I am driving down to check on my 90 year old mother...she likes walking with me when I play golf, lol.

preliminary data, but interesting nonetheless

full NYT article here

Los Angeles smog one year ago vs now
maps_la-Artboard-945.jpg

Seattle smog one year ago vs now
maps_seattle-Artboard-600.jpg

Los Angeles I-110 daily traffic speeds typical vs now
chart_la-Artboard-600.png

Dodger Stadium over the hill
acvEVFr.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I just watched it. His point is entirely valid. I agree with him.

Dan Patrick is rather controversial in Texas. To ask older people to die for their grandchildren is rather drama queenish. The economy will bounce back, always does, because we will do what it takes. Two weeks is not enough of a closing when reality says longer. It took the Chinese 6 weeks and they may have a second wave of the virus.

By the end of the month, it may look worse than now as more people are tested and it may take for up to two weeks for the virus to show itself after Trump's 2 week period. While every day seems like a dog year, if we can hold on for longer while hopefully researchers find something that works against it and learn more about the virus, we may be able to manage it better. Maybe ...

Last edited:
My wife's best friend passed away yesterday. Whether it was from COVID-19 remains to be seen, but a pretty grim story to say the least and all signs point to that.

Fairly healthy guy in his 30s. Diabetic. Developed a crazy high fever (103.7) on Saturday evening and did not have any other symptoms. They did not have any COVID-19 tests... So, they sent him back home and said, if your fever spikes or you develop any breathing issues, please come back in to the ER. Well, Sunday evening his fever spiked up, started vomiting and having trouble breathing. Back to the ER he went, still no COVID-19 tests, but they put him in ICU due to all of the symptoms. Shortly within his ICU stay, he had a seizure and went into cardiac arrest and passed away.

While they cannot confirm that COVID-19 was the cause of this or the reason behind it, they are fearing that. The doctors are saying they are going to additional research/testing today to hopefully provide answers as to if it was COVID-19 that he was infected with.

That was a poor briefing yesterday.

Surgeon General had nothing good to say and he was not invited. Fauci was not invited.

We need people who go with facts. Economics - no one wants this to continue. And the faster we act as if we all have it, the faster we can return to normal. I've got to watch less news and more Netflix, take up indoor hobbies, reading when not working from home. Lots of good golf videos.

Senate will reach a deal for stimulus, but soon, you will hear more calls from people to return to normal, but our rate of infection is going straight up at the moment... so a battle is brewing.

Last edited:
For the beaches being closed they still have some traffic. The rules closed public access but allow beachfront condo owners to use the beaches but not hotels which is very strange. You’re not supposed to walk on the beach but some are breaking that rule, I’m watching one right now.

14BF08AA-C8C2-4955-B4DF-40EADB47B609.jpeg

South Korea has less than 1/6 of our population. South Korea has had 2.01 deaths per million; the US has had 1.27.
Korea is also a more densely populated country (37,000 ppl per sq mi land area vs 93 ppl per sq mi land area in the US). A contagious disease will spread much more rapidly in more densely populated areas unless it's contained. You can't tell me the US is doing a better job than Korea in containing this, because we're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back