Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
The $2 trillion dollar stimulus bill has not been published. No one knows with certainty what’s in it, including those who approved it. 💩

2 trillion, eh?

I am almost terrified to see what's in it haha
The $2 trillion dollar stimulus bill has not been published. No one knows with certainty what’s in it, including those who approved it. 💩
"We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it."

Ok, so I am sitting here watching the live Board of County Commissioners emergency meeting for my county where they just unanimously voted to legally enforce a stay at home order. They are saying over and over about the importance of social distancing, washing your hands, etc. etc. And there are easily 20+ people in a room, standing or sitting directly next to each other while this is happening. The irony of this is hilarious to me.

Oh, and they had different people from the community as well as business owners, etc. pleading their cases and they all came to the same podium and put their hands all over it, and never once cleaned it between people.

Now, I will say they are talking with tech people to figure out how to do any future meetings as a video conference rather than all together in a room, but for now they are all together in a room, including the Sheriff.

Mike Rowe was on Tucker Carlson last night...and yes of the 7+ million OPEN trades jobs, a chunk of them will disappear, but he's optimistic that the fraud of college might have been exposed with all of this, and online higher education learning could be the way of the future, and many kids now will look to the trades as more logical career paths going forward.

Not everyone needs to go to college. The problem is there seems to be some kind of stigma if a person doesn't. People in the trades can make a very nice living doing something they enjoy, and sure there is an apprenticeship involved, but college isn't necessary.

I am thoughly amazed at all the New Yorkers who jumped on a plane the minute the SIP order was given, talk about only thinking of yourself. They should all be locked down on landing, I see Florida National Guard is meeting them and given them a 14 day stay at home but I doubt if they are selfish enough to get on a plane knowing they are a good chance of being infected they are going to ignore any other orders.

Cleaning services were killing it in the beginning as so many businesses hired or had their service come in for extra cleaning. Now, will be very rough on them while they wait for businesses to open back up.

Those people who live on a 1099 are just getting destroyed. Imagine being a realtor or in car sales. You could easily had been making above the numbers for the stimulus. Now, good luck.
So true and can speak first hand. I'm in that boat even though it's a fine line made back and white by the IRS. They were kind enough to get me caught up from the past 3 years Paid in full. (Paid taxes mind you but fine tooth combed me to big numbers with deductions). Lesson learned.

With everything leading into this starting in January, companies were watching and my business model has been shut down. No technical improvements or asthetic visual tech improvements or new builds. Yep, already been three months without income, but I plan for that every year as this is usually a slow quarter.

I feel bad for those that are 1099 and don't plan, it is BAD times for that type if income.

Stimulous won't be coming their way if a big last year and if they try unemployment, how fast will that be denied.

This is my son's first work force experience with any of this and doesn't want help from unemployment. I respect that but if it's assistance is offered and no work available especially in this instance...take the help!

Waffle House has temporarily closed 365 locations across the country.
Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse? Now I'm worried.

Tried to make a tee time this morning and all the times disappeared. A call to the course resulted in "they are shutting us down". Bummer. The ones that were open did a great job of making it safe to play.

Stay at home order coming today for the counties in the Denver metro area.

I am thoughly amazed at all the New Yorkers who jumped on a plane the minute the SIP order was given, talk about only thinking of yourself. They should all be locked down on landing, I see Florida National Guard is meeting them and given them a 14 day stay at home but I doubt if they are selfish enough to get on a plane knowing they are a good chance of being infected they are going to ignore any other orders.

This is infuriating me. They are all coming to Florida too for some reason. I hate to say it, but I wish they would just close down all domestic flights, or at least flights from NY and other hard hit areas. You want to contain this thing, stop letting people out of there.

Maryland schools now closed through April 24th. Not surprising but... we may go insane.

This is infuriating me. They are all coming to Florida too for some reason. I hate to say it, but I wish they would just close down all domestic flights, or at least flights from NY and other hard hit areas. You want to contain this thing, stop letting people out of there.

Second homes, my guess.

Colleges do not push an agenda they educate based on facts, science etc. Some subjects may be more nuanced but you are learning from the experts in the field. Students are also encouraged to challenge existing beliefs and theories to continue to push these fields forward. No one is being indoctrinated they are being taught to think critically and explore and discover in their given field. I assume your post is political. I was a biology major but i can tell you in my political science courses debate was encouraged and professors and ta’s only served as moderators to guide discussion and never forced an agenda. We had some great debates and I learned a ton from other students with different beliefs than mine.

If you disagree with people who dedicate their lives to studying these subjects perhaps it’s time to reconsider or challenge you’re beliefs rather than just calling them frauds. Sitting in on some college courses and engaging with students may open your mind.

It's a bit naive to think that some colleges and universities don't push an agenda. There are countless examples if you care to do a bit of research.

Agreed. Someone needs to be paying better attention to this. Common sense says if someone has it and heads in another direction it will go there as well.

Progressive America trusts academia and Conservative America doesn't.

If you look at the electoral maps, the college towns are bright blue dots, even in blood red states.

Not making a political argument, here, but just observing the facts as they seem to exist today.

And what conservatives there are on some campuses, many keep mum about it for fear of some kind of back lash. Freedom of speech for me, but not for thee, lol.

They should have done that a week ago and we would be a week into a two or three week shutdown. Instead it might to late to have any effect now. There are very few passengers on most flights anyway. Prohibit all air traffic would have been a bold and wise move. It would have effected me directly but it would be worth it to get to an end quicker.

I don't understand how anyone could vote for a bill if they don't know what's in it. I remember when Pelosi encouraged her colleagues to vote for Obamacare saying they could read what's in it after they pass the bill.:rolleyes:

Nope, not from what I have been reading. They are flooding resorts, got an email about it.

Looks like the lockdown will keep them in their rooms, I guess. I'm with you, airliners should just shut down flights out of NY, CA, and WA.

They should have done that a week ago and we would be a week into a two or three week shutdown. Instead it might to late to have any effect now. There are very few passengers on most flights anyway. Prohibit all air traffic would have been a bold and wise move. It would have effected me directly but it would be worth it to get to an end quicker.

Agreed. I wish they had done it too.

This is the right thing to do under the circumstances, but impossible to police. There is nothing to stop a New Yorker from driving to Newark or Boston and flying from there. Or driving to Florida.

I am becoming convinced the best way out of this to get things working again as quickly as possible. That means testing as many people as possible and getting those at risk into isolation, those who have developed immunity back to work, and those in the middle managed. It will be a balancing act. It is a problem to implement on many levels. Here, regional hospitals are no longer testing ordinary citizens, instead reserving the test kits for health care professional and first responders.

Looks like the lockdown will keep them in their rooms, I guess. I'm with you, airliners should just shut down flights out of NY, CA, and WA.

Also not happening. That was part of the email. People aren't listening, they are flooding the pools and bars. The tables are all moved, no chairs to sit, but they are still "picking up their order" and then never leaving the bar. It's a real problem.

I don't understand how anyone could vote for a bill if they don't know what's in it. I remember when Pelosi encouraged her colleagues to vote for Obamacare saying they could read what's in it after they pass the bill.:rolleyes:

I think last night was more of a, "let's verbally agree to what we want, get it on paper, and then vote." I haven't seen anything saying hey we're gonna vote on something we haven't seen yet?

This is the right thing to do under the circumstances, but impossible to police. There is nothing to stop a New Yorker from driving to Newark or Boston and flying from there. Or driving to Florida.

I am becoming convinced the best way out of this to get things working again as quickly as possible. That means testing as many people as possible and getting those at risk into isolation, those who have developed immunity back to work, and those in the middle managed. It will be a balancing act. It is a problem to implement on many levels. Here, regional hospitals are no longer testing ordinary citizens, instead reserving the test kits for health care professional and first responders.

Agreed, but if you shut down the airports in and around those areas it helps. Some might decide to do the long drive, but not many. They are less likely to hop in a car and drive for 20 hours (or whatever it is) vs hop on a plane and be here in 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back