Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the golf courses around here are still operational. They were out there mowing this morning and setting up hole placements when I was out with Arrow for his morning walk.

HB county commissioners deemed golf not essential, at least on first glance. Got a few emails from courses saying hey ya'll might wanna write to them and give a reason to keep courses open. I get it when people refuse to not stay apart from each other aka sitting around having beverages post round. Close up the bar, make food orders to go, stay a flagstick away from each other at all times. Walk or 1 cart per person. Bam, just made golf work.

HB county commissioners deemed golf not essential, at least on first glance. Got a few emails from courses saying hey ya'll might wanna write to them and give a reason to keep courses open. I get it when people refuse to not stay apart from each other aka sitting around having beverages post round. Close up the bar, make food orders to go, stay a flagstick away from each other at all times. Walk or 1 cart per person. Bam, just made golf work.
As of right now only Miami-Dada and Broward counties have ordered courses to close in all of Florida.

So, it's looking like MN golf courses are not going to be allowed to remain open. I really hope this smooths over soon. Obviously for the general health and well being of the American people (and all countries for that matter). But, for more selfish reasons, I haven't been able to play golf here for 6 months now. The weather is FINALLY starting to warm up. We just committed a much larger sum of money to join a private club. I am antsy. I have had cabin fever forever now. This isolation coming up right when the weather finally started to turn around is really taking a mental toll.

Welp, my corporate office sent out an email last night confirming the first positive case of one of our employees. Fortunately its at one of our businesses on the other side of the country from me.

As of right now only Miami-Dada and Broward counties have ordered courses to close in all of Florida.

There was some vaguery in the Hillsborough County non essential list. Apparently it's fine so long as the courses stick to CDC guidelines. Crisis averted.

Just saw on Callaway Pre-Owned, no orders are being shipped until April 14th....

So, it's looking like MN golf courses are not going to be allowed to remain open. I really hope this smooths over soon. Obviously for the general health and well being of the American people (and all countries for that matter). But, for more selfish reasons, I haven't been able to play golf here for 6 months now. The weather is FINALLY starting to warm up. We just committed a much larger sum of money to join a private club. I am antsy. I have had cabin fever forever now. This isolation coming up right when the weather finally started to turn around is really taking a mental toll.

Really not trying to be political here but from what I am seeing it looks like if you are in a red state/governor you will probably be open in the next few weeks. If in blue most likely stay closed and be as much as possible dependent on whatever in this bill they r passing. Just an observation based on what these 2 kinds are doing in response so far.

Washington state shut down all golf courses yesterday afternoon. :mad:

Probably late to this game reporting for Kansas.- Schools are shut down for the year and the larger metros are all now in a "shelter in place" order with non-essential business closed including golf courses until April 24th....

Really not trying to be political here but from what I am seeing it looks like if you are in a red state/governor you will probably be open in the next few weeks. If in blue most likely stay closed and be as much as possible dependent on whatever in this bill they r passing. Just an observation based on what these 2 kinds are doing in response so far.
Yeah, I don't want to get into politics as I don't know it is the biggest factor and out of respect for the forum and to keep the discussion civil. I don't know when the closure will end. Just hope it's under control when it happens.

*%#*&$!!!! Just got the news that our private club here in MA is shut. No play anywhere on grounds.

...how utterly ridiculous and infuriating. I'm all for social distancing and taking Covid seriously but there is simply no reason for closing as long as the crew can safely work. Mental fatigue is a legitimate concern to have as a nation through all of this. Safe, outdoor activities should be encouraged, not shuttered.

Last edited:
We just got news that NYS has reduced the closure conditions for golf courses and more and more are opening back up with some key changes:
  • holes are being filled to stop the need for retrieving them ( either with foam or sand or inverted cups, etc. )
  • flags must stay in the hole
  • single person to a cart - no tandems OR walking only
  • no picking up of found balls on course

Talked to a friend in China today and they're pretty much back to normal with traffic jams and people out and about shopping and working, assuming they have a job to go back to. The actual numbers of cases and deaths are debatable but whatever they are they're clearly past it now so it's not like there's a complete zombie plague over there and they're simply covering it up. He did echo what I was wondering about, and that is many of the jobs that were lost did not come back. Like the US, he said the government was trying to help with assistance but there's only so much you can do for a dead business and people with no long term livelihood. He's fortunate in that he has a job but that's going to be the real crisis for them.
I literally don’t understand this. There is no cure for the virus. If people are out and about they should see a second spike, shouldn’t they? (Minus some effect for herd immunity).

Shackleford also wants to roll the ball back. Geoff can shove it.

There’s news coming out about the group that predicted 500k deaths may have been incorrect, and maybe more like 20k, mostly people who were probably gonna die because of sickness and old age. I feel maybe if you’re gonna tout big numbers, maybe have your %#*& right.

There’s news coming out about the group that predicted 500k deaths may have been incorrect, and maybe more like 20k, mostly people who were probably gonna die because of sickness and old age. I feel maybe if you’re gonna tout big numbers, maybe have your %#*& right.
I’d like to see that news about the numbers of deaths predicted being reduced. (The one article that got a lot of attention predicted 1.1M deaths and a worst case scenario of 2.2M deaths.)

Well they shut down 1 of the public courses here. Still trying to find out about the the 2 other public & 2 munis to see if they are following suite or not. According to their web site, they are still taking tee times on line.

UPDATE #1: 2 munis are staying open to walking only & raided cups & driving ranges closed.

Last edited:

They never have their **** right. It's all an agenda.

Not many adhering to the 1 person to a cart as I look out my window this morning. If this keeps up our courses will close as well. How hard is it to obey the rules. :mad:

Told to stay home...

Contacted companies about previous invoices to be paid (^90 days), not good news...

Request to come finish job started first of January in LA mid April. Even if flights are available...oh my. Good News/Bad News...

Day by Day and as always think positive I keep telling myself!

Told to stay home...

Contacted companies about previous invoices to be paid (^90 days), not good news...

Request to come finish job started first of January in LA mid April. Even if flights are available...oh my. Good News/Bad News...

Day by Day and as always think positive I keep telling myself!

It’s so bad in supply chain. Right now I’ve been told to cancel and refuse all purchases that are not emergency or critical.

Not many adhering to the 1 person to a cart as I look out my window this morning. If this keeps up our courses will close as well. How hard is it to obey the rules. :mad:
That has to be the biggest thing. If people were adhering to the initial social distancing routines, these shut downs wouldn't have to happen, IMHO. But, even when these shutdowns go into effect, we see people still ignoring it. I think you're right, they keep that up, they won't be open much longer. Maybe the course can go to walking only?

Not sure if we're talking about the same report, but weren't those estimates based on no intervention or social distancing measures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back