ANNOUNCEMENT Live Chat with Jason Finley from Callaway Golf

What kind of things can we, the consumer, be able to do in this season of covid-19 to benefit you guys?
Buy lots of stuff ;)

All kidding aside, I think what you can do for us is very low on the overall importance scale. Super important right now for everyone to keep themselves and their families (and everyone else for that matter safe. Follow the orders and suggestions we are hearing, even if you think they are ridiculous and let's get through this as quickly and with as many healthy people as we can.

Buy lots of stuff ;)

All kidding aside, I think what you can do for us is very low on the overall importance scale. Super important right now for everyone to keep themselves and their families (and everyone else for that matter safe. Follow the orders and suggestions we are hearing, even if you think they are ridiculous and let's get through this as quickly and with as many healthy people as we can.

Question re: Triple Track on the putters... Did that idea come from folks on the ball side (you?), the putter folks (Mr Toulon?), the engineering side (Doc Hock?), or the marketing folks Zoo Crew?
It was something we talked about on the idea from the beginning but started with the ball because, well, you know.......

Are you following the mandated "take shelter" provisions in California?
Absolutely. I have actually been working at home since last Monday and have only left the house other than for walks around the neighborhood 2x.

Thx for circling back again

Nope, but I am working on a lot of things around what golf balls we are going to make

Since not many of us really got the chance to try the new balls out at home, can you tell us more about the CSX and how you made it faster? Rumor is, it's supposed to be a pretty hot ball if you have the horsepower for it.

Q2 from me - what's your most memorable Hideaway Grandaddy match? Any one in particular stand out the most? Note: Doesn't necessarily have to be the one most referenced for obvious reasons
I do not think it would be that one - it didn't last long enough to be memorable!

Kind of kidding but not really, they all are fun and interesting but often for very different reasons. I actually really like the 9 hole matches as it is more of a sprint and generally are more likely to go the whole way. But if I had to pick one that I remember the most it would've been from one of the first couple (think it was the first day of GD ever) where I won a match (probably against TH) with my crutch as a partner in best ball after shanking a ball out of bounds, having to take a drop hitting the next one decent and holing a put from off the green - just a dagger.

Last question, if you have time. I loved the Hex Soft golf ball and recently found a stash at my local Walmart. What is the closest ball in your current lineup to it?

Which do you think will sell better this season... TT balls or TT putters ?
I sure hope it will be Golf Balls. In terms of units it will not even be close but I think it will be balls on the dollar side as well.

With the pandemic interruption is Callaway's product cycle going to be affected? In other words will new equipment releases be delayed so the current product line has more time in an active marketplace?
I think it is too early to tell on that right now. But it is certainly going to have an impact on us.

Many thanks @JasonFinleyCG. I really appreciate the info and you letting us have a bit of your day.

Question: I’m a High School golf coach and o work with a lot of juniors. We use the super soft with many of them. At what driver swing speed and or skill level should we move to Chrome soft with these junior. Is there a better ball for my younger (12-14 years olds) who may need some extra spin at a lower price point?
This is not an easy answer as I totally understand the cost implications as a parent as well. The reality is, just about everyone will benefit from playing a higher level ball as it will give them a better CHANCE to hit the shots they are trying to hit around the green. But, for most, Superhot and ERC Soft should both spin more around the green than SS for most as well.

Jason,

What do you find more frightening; COVID-19 or an 8 handicap with a hot hand?
I can't die from an 8 handicap with a hot hand (and he probably wouldn't really be an 8 handicap anyway)

Last edited:
Jason,

Thanks for taking the time today. I am sure there are a lot of things going on right now, and taking the time to talk to us is fantastic!

A few questions for you

1) I have used the ERC ball some and it really suits my game better than the Chrome Soft. Can you tell us if there are any plans to continue the ERC ball or keep it updated?

2) What upcoming tech trends can we see from Callaway that will make a huge difference in the marketplace in the future?

3) Does Callaway have any plans to expand partnerships with data companies such as Arccos in the future?

4) How does Callaway balance the needs of a tour professional in a club with the casual hacker?

5) Breakfast sliders or breakfast tacos?

6) How can we expect the trend of customizing (e.g. color, stamping) clubs to continue in the future? Will we be able to customize irons?

1. ERC Soft is in its second year so no immediate plans for it going anywhere and I like the position and setup of our line with it going forward.
2. I think we are seeing the beginning of one with AI and Machine Learning - I think this will continue to be important along with material and process developments as well
3. We are doing some work in this area but nothing to announce or talk about at this time
4. It is very dependant on the product. Some products like an MB Iron are geared almost exclusively for the tour pros where some are more for the masses. And in some cases, what a pro thinks of a club really has very little impact as they would never (or very rarely) use it.
5. Slider
6. I think as long as there is consumer demand for it you will see it offered. In the grand scheme of things it is a very small piece of the pie in terms of Drivers now and to add it to Irons would be much more complicated but we are looking into it.

With the social distancing and safe at home orders going around, home many notches out on that championship belt will you have to go?
I think I may actually be going the other way. Eating less junk and out less.

@JasonFinleyCG who is or was your favorite person to play golf with and why?
Anyone I can beat!

Beyond, I like playing with people who are not super serious and like to have a good time. Always love some good banter, some good competition and just out to have a good time.

Mr. Finley, when going thru different designs to use on Truvis Golf Balls, how many prototypes or different models do you have to go thru before finding the ones Callaway will market?
Probably less than you would think. We start out with some general themes we like and then get more narrow on different ways to bring that to life.

Back