Review Quantix F35 Control Golf Ball Review

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
In what is shaping up to be the year of the golf ball, a new name has recently entered the market.  Presumably named for the jets with similar names, Quantix Golf currently sells the F35 Control golf balls and will shortly launch the F18 Tour.  Although winter is not always ideal for golf ball testing, the weather has been decent and I spent a few weeks testing the F35 Control ball. 

7AD57527-38E1-4C78-AFD0-7DDF999166B5.jpg

So, who is Quantix Golf? 
Don’t let the currently unknown name dissuade you from considering the
company because while the brand is new, the company has a very known name as
the company “ball scientist,” Larry Cadorniga. 
Larry, who has patents related to golf balls with some current and
formerly leading ball companies, has been designing golf balls longer than I
have been alive, so obviously there is a huge wealth of knowledge behind the
brand.  Of course, most of the publicly...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write up @Molten, I think their price point for that ball is definitely a little on the high side, otherwise it seems like a decent distance ball.

Good review of a so-so product. At that price point I can predict a big failure of this company to make inroads in the ball market.

Intersting time to launch a new brand. And their price points don't motivate me. Hopefully the owners knowledge and understanding of golf ball technolghy will help him get this thing going. My experience with golf balls really is different strokes for different folks.
I wish them good luck in a hard business. BTW, Good review and your pictures were better than anything they shot for their own website.

Intersting time to launch a new brand. And their price points don't motivate me. Hopefully the owners knowledge and understanding of golf ball technolghy will help him get this thing going. My experience with golf balls really is different strokes for different folks.
I wish them good luck in a hard business. BTW, Good review and your pictures were better than anything they shot for their own website.
Yeah, who could have guessed this would happen right after they launch?! And on a personal note....YESSSSS! My first photo compliment! I'm not @Jman or @ddec so I'm always really self conscious about my terrible photography

Good write up @Molten, I think their price point for that ball is definitely a little on the high side, otherwise it seems like a decent distance ball.
Price point is tough on this ball, agreed, but their F18 Tour looks to be aggressively priced for a urethane tour ball. And yeah, I think it being a pretty decent distance ball is a good summary - I like a lot of the full swing performance more than others in the category but it isn't without downsides.

Good review of a so-so product. At that price point I can predict a big failure of this company to make inroads in the ball market.
Maybe, maybe not. It is a tough market but they have experience other fledgling companies do not have and their next ball has a better price point for a tour ball. Obviously I haven't tried that ball but I have good, high hopes.

Depends on inventory. Controlled product inventory hanged the dynamic in what sales allow them to continue or not.

Price point is tough on this ball, agreed, but their F18 Tour looks to be aggressively priced for a urethane tour ball. And yeah, I think it being a pretty decent distance ball is a good summary - I like a lot of the full swing performance more than others in the category but it isn't without downsides.

Maybe, maybe not. It is a tough market but they have experience other fledgling companies do not have and their next ball has a better price point for a tour ball. Obviously I haven't tried that ball but I have good, high hopes.

I'm interested to see the info on their tour ball when it comes out. At the price point you mentioned in the article (no freebies here folks, go read the article!) I think it has a chance, but there's other stuff out there at a similar price point...so it's not priced inside the circle of trust as it were. I'll be following this company closely though. I love seeing more options.

I would have a hard time paying $5.00 more for a non-urethane ball that is a down grade around the greens. QSTs and Cut Grey are a urethane ball that offers green side control and good distance and for around $20.00 a dozen....nope!

I would have a hard time paying $5.00 more for a non-urethane ball that is a down grade around the greens. QSTs and Cut Grey are a urethane ball that offers green side control and good distance and for around $20.00 a dozen....nope!

Yeah, that's where I'm at. If I want a decent surlyn ball I can find those all day every day without trying for $20/dz or less, and even get fancy colors.

Thanks for the well-written information Molten. Though it does not sound like a bad ball by any stretch, I am with others in saying it does not sound like the ball justifies the price tag, especially in the DTC ball world.

Interesting thoughts on cost correlation. I think there is a lot of stock put into a urethane cover, and rightfully so to an extent.

Titleist Tour Soft is a 2 piece surlyn cover that retails in places for $35
Bridgestone e12 is a surlyn cover that is $30
Callaway ERC is a hybrid of a surlyn material cover that is $35

While I have no experience with this ball at all, it doesn't stand alone in the price point. Although I would have priced it at less personally.

Interesting thoughts on cost correlation. I think there is a lot of stock put into a urethane cover, and rightfully so to an extent.

Titleist Tour Soft is a 2 piece surlyn cover that retails in places for $35
Bridgestone e12 is a surlyn cover that is $30
Callaway ERC is a hybrid of a surlyn material cover that is $35

While I have no experience with this ball at all, it doesn't stand alone in the price point. Although I would have priced it at less personally.

Two things: A) All three of the companies listed are known quantities
B) I don't think any of those are priced particularly competitively, personally.

Bonus) Titeist has been over priced on golf balls for 15 years (In my opinion)

So for a relatively unknown quantity to come out and push those price points....it seems a touch aggressive to me.

Two things: A) All three of the companies listed are known quantities
B) I don't think any of those are priced particularly competitively, personally.

Bonus) Titeist has been over priced on golf balls for 15 years (In my opinion)

So for a relatively unknown quantity to come out and push those price points....it seems a touch aggressive to me.

I totally agree with that.
I do think when you are a DTC company, you are selling to a more educated golfer. Or at least believes more educated (not a knock on THPers). Therefore, cover material and layers are the two things that are heavily focused on, along with price. Taking all aspects of performance out of the equation because DTC needs a hook to reel people in since they can't pick up off the shelf, those two things with the price ratio need to add up.

The ones that have lasted.
Vice - They were pretty much first
Snell - Pedigree
Cut - Price
Oncore - Think about this one, they did it with a metal "core" and have pretty much abandoned it, but separated with that. Well that and their ******** kickstarter that they still haven't delivered on.

This company has pedigree, although most dont know it due to time, but that is about it currently. I also believe starting with the surlyn review wise before tour level is a big miss.

I do think when you are a DTC company, you are selling to a more educated golfer. Or at least believes more educated (not a knock on THPers). Therefore, cover material and layers are the two things that are heavily focused on, along with price. Taking all aspects of performance out of the equation because DTC needs a hook to reel people in since they can't pick up off the shelf, those two things with the price ratio need to add up.

Snell - Pedigree
Cut - Price
Oncore - Think about this one, they did it with a metal "core" and have pretty much abandoned it, but separated with that. Well that and their ******** kickstarter that they still haven't delivered on.

This company has pedigree, although most dont know it due to time, but that is about it currently. I also believe starting with the surlyn review wise before tour level is a big miss.

I agree with you across the board. especially the surlyn starting point. While I suspect many more of us golfers would benefit from a surlyn ball than we'd like to admit (myself included) most golfers are using Tour Balls and that's where I'd focus personally.

I may have missed it but is there a sliding price scale for multiple dozens? That may make the ball more attractive than at $30/dz

I like it Gary. I'm actually glad you mentioned the sound off the putter because it's one thing I always look at when testing golf balls. I know it is such a small piece of the puzzle, but I can't stand a ball that doesn't sound good off the putter that I am rolling at that point in time.

Which irons were you seeing the increased spin out of? Was it universal throughout the set if you tested with say a 5-7-9?

Oh and yes the pictures are really good man. Photography can be fun right?

Snell - Pedigree
Cut - Price

Big miss - completely agree.

I like it Gary. I'm actually glad you mentioned the sound off the putter because it's one thing I always look at when testing golf balls. I know it is such a small piece of the puzzle, but I can't stand a ball that doesn't sound good off the putter that I am rolling at that point in time.

Which irons were you seeing the increased spin out of? Was it universal throughout the set if you tested with say a 5-7-9?

Oh and yes the pictures are really good man. Photography can be fun right?
Universal across the whole set - higher spin off the irons while maintaining normal driver spin. And I tested with P790s and Wilson D7 Forged.

I may have missed it but is there a sliding price scale for multiple dozens? That may make the ball more attractive than at $30/dz
There is, yes, although it isn't all that attractive. Buy 3 dozen, $2 off a dozen. It gets a little better from there but we are talking bulk purchases.

Ben Hogan Golf ambassador Fifty-Three Golf has a sponsorship with them. That's my only knowledge of the brand. The pricing is curious. As @JB pointed out, they are inline with comparable balls in the market. So, that tells me Quantix believes it can live and compete in that market space. Logic tells me no one will buy a Quantix ball at the same price as a Titleist, Callaway, and Bridgestone. This just confirms to me why the Q-Star Tour ball is the best performing ball per dollar available today.

Ben Hogan Golf ambassador Fifty-Three Golf has a sponsorship with them. That's my only knowledge of the brand. The pricing is curious. As @JB pointed out, they are inline with comparable balls in the market. So, that tells me Quantix believes it can live and compete in that market space. Logic tells me no one will buy a Quantix ball at the same price as a Titleist, Callaway, and Bridgestone. This just confirms to me why the Q-Star Tour ball is the best performing ball per dollar available today.
The "brand ambassador" program with Quantix is public and (to me at least) a bit strange. Check it out for yourself - https://quantixgolf.com/pages/brand-ambassadors-3

Nice article! I would guess the current economy would be the absolute WORST time to release a new product......

Nicely written article. The price point as many have mentioned is an issue.
With so many balls out there now even DTC, a relative unknown will find it a struggle to get any kind of foothold. Although price is not everything, I would rather pay a few bucks more for a proven commodity.

Back