ANNOUNCEMENT Live Chat with Jason Finley from Callaway Golf

Jason,

Have you guys put any thought into the USGA length report/ are you preparing for a time where they might limit the amount of innovation when it comes to length?
Certainly are engaged in this area and have ideas depending on if/when anything happens but as of right now nothing is changing and if it does no one knows what will change.

Other than The Hideaway, what is the best course you have played?
My favorite golf course is probably Riviera but also love a couple of the courses at Bandon and my favorite Golf Destination is a place called Gozzer Ranch in Idaho.

I'm looking for the softest golf ball on the planet, what or will Callaway do to get this done? I'm talking about will Callaway come out and say this is the softest ball there is available in the market!
We will only do it if the performance is there. Will gladly let someone else say that about their ball is a couple compression points softer than us and have a SIGNIFICANTLY better ball - that may be the reality today.

Jason,

Let's talk hybrids. I'm on the 2019 Big Bertha 3 and 4 hybrids now and think they're the best ever. What's your favorite hybrid now? Thx.
Well, BB was really good, right now I have Mavrik Pro but still in the early stages as only one round in so we are in the feeling it out stage with each other right now. Not sure I am ready to commit yet!

@JasonFinleyCG Any other passions outside of golf? Hobbies, etc?
I love sports and sports talk radio is almost always on if it can be (or it was when sports were actually happening) and my kids sports would be a part of that.

Thanks @JasonFinleyCG for taking the time to do this and still come back in today to answer more questions

Congrats to @RealPretendPsychic - not a bad way to start your THP membership

As with every year, I look forward to seeing how you improve/change #TheGrandaddy and how many flights I would have to take from the UK to get there if I was lucky enough to be picked...

@JasonFinleyCG how? How is this years Chromesoft so freaking good? Long, soft, durable against trees and cart paths! How did you guys do it?
It's good to have a lot of really smart people working on this stuff. One thing that often times gets overlooked, particularly in the ball category. Not many have the benefoit of actually having their own dedicated to golf ball R&D team. Thanks for the feedback and trying it.

@JasonFinleyCG

since you’ve got the putting green in the back yard what’s the amount from 6ft you make before you miss?
I don't have the patience to do that kind of stuff - plus not a lot of straight easy putts out there. I have been chipping/pitching a lot lately and not moving to a different hole until I hole one. Been in the same spot for a while a few times. Good thing I have access to a few balls.

Will we see another line of Callaway drivers with the matte black finish similar to the 816 dbd and xr 16 line? The 816 dbd and xr pro still remain my favourite Callaway drivers to date, hopefully the next line can change that.

Could a matte finish be added to the customs option?
Matte Finishes are really tough to work with but anything is possible

Matte Finishes are really tough to work with but anything is possible
Maybe it was how I managed to catch it, but I took a little chip out of the matte finish on my GBB quite easily just by catching the top of it with a soft spike on my shoe - was a bit annoyed with myself when it happened, but luckily it was near the back of the driver so wasn't too distracting at address
I do prefer the matte finish, but I won't discount a driver because it is only available in a gloss finish

We will only do it if the performance is there. Will gladly let someone else say that about their ball is a couple compression points softer than us and have a SIGNIFICANTLY better ball - that may be the reality today.

thank you for answering, appreciate it.

Hi Jason
You probably meet and play with a lot of PGA pros, what player impressed you the most during your round? skill wise and sense of humor?
Could be 2 separate categories.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Seems like a fairly simple process. I am a 5.9, what does the course handicap equal out to for each of us and the difference is how many I get - i would guess that would mean 6 shots. From there I wish you good luck and tell you to play hard and have fun.
I am laughing because I don’t remember the formula being so simple when @JasonFinleyCG is giving the strokes.

A couple options for me on this one....

Vodka & Diet Dew - little pep and a jolt of energy
Vodka & Fresca - smooth and relaxing like the match was
@JasonFinleyCG
Pro tip. Add a dash of cranberry and a slice of lemon. You can thank me later.

Maybe a group of guys super happy and hopefully having an incredible experience and getting to be a part of it along the way.
People should pay more attention to this answer. I’ve said it before - you always feel better when you give a present and you see that the recipient really loves it. There’s a nugget of goodness in this for potential participants.

My favorite golf course is probably Riviera but also love a couple of the courses at Bandon and my favorite Golf Destination is a place called Gozzer Ranch in Idaho.
Was this the club that your friend belongs to by CDA?

@JasonFinleyCG While I've liked the entire Mavrik lineup, for me, the fairways have been the standout winners thus far. Such as absolutely easy club to hit, and hit far, and that's big for me.

I know that AI getting into the irons were a huge breakthrough, but were you expecting the fairways to be as awesome as they are?

What part of social media seems to have the furthest reach, Podcasts? Staffer Interaction? Taranto's custom wedges?
I don't know what you mean by furthest reach but we monitor and track every post we and our competitors make for sure. Lot's of ways to look at it but we like to have people engage in what we do, volume is not the end all be all.
@JasonFinleyCG Based on the number of visits to the Hideaway - Have you been able to perfect your own version of The Hideaway Blueberry Vodka Lemonade ?
No, have not tried to ruin perfection - makes them more special when i get to have them

No, have not tried to ruin perfection - makes them more special when i get to have them

Something about drinking one of those somewhere else just doesn't seem right.

@JasonFinleyCG any plans to update the "dark iron" finish used by CG to be more durable?
This is something we and others always deal with and part of it is always going to be a challenge but we certainly will work to continue to improve it.

Back