Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to look at that Stimulus Bill all weekend.

God punishes all of us in strange ways.
I was reading it the night the senate was voting on it and boy, oh boy could I not stay awake through it. Let me know if you do better than I did. I’d still love to know what’s in it

Back in Montana we are now in the official statewide shelter in place. Apparently people panic bought and food and supplies yesterday. Reports are that kindness to each other was in short supply. :cry: We as people can do better.

Getting back from doing what I could with my dad's death has a heavy feel to it. I didn't hug my mom, my family. We keep our distance. We were careful. I didn't want to exacerbate a tragic family event by infecting someone. I can deal with closures and logistical changes. That's an inconvenience. But at my core is a desire and need to protect my family. Putting core values like protecting health at conflict with other core values like supporting family through a death is brutal. I know many others are going through this as well, and many more are likely to see this in their lives.

I was reading it the night the senate was voting on it and boy, oh boy could I not stay awake through it. Let me know if you do better than I did. I’d still love to know what’s in it

My uncle’s accounting firm put together a 5 page synopsis in laymen’s terms for all his clients to understand.

I read some of it and from what I've seen it makes you want to say, "I wish we have a line item veto". Some of the items included are just plain ridiculous.

yeah, both parties were feeding at the trough over this bill. So much non essential funding; sigh

yeah, both parties were feeding at the trough over this bill. So much non essential funding; sigh
Agree. Term limits for all and ine item veto is the only way, but we all know that will never happen unless people demand it but there is too much apathy.

I read some of it and from what I've seen it makes you want to say, "I wish we have a line item veto". Some of the items included are just plain ridiculous.
I have no ideal how practical it would be but I’d love to see some kind of reform where you can’t just dump 48 totally unrelated things into one bill. I imagine that’s one of those things we‘ll never get because it’s such a great tool for both parties to sneak through their pet projects that otherwise would never have a chance of getting passed. As we’ve seen with so many things, if it’s something that happens to benefit both parties then they really don’t care what the American people want.

I have no ideal how practical it would be but I’d love to see some kind of reform where you can’t just dump 48 totally unrelated things into one bill. I imagine that’s one of those things we‘ll never get because it’s such a great tool for both parties to sneak through their pet projects that otherwise would never have a chance of getting passed. As we’ve seen with so many things, if it’s something that happens to benefit both parties then they really don’t care what the American people want.
So right. Term limits for all. That way you can't make politics be your career. Two terms, like a president and you're gone.

Watch that German number, some think that they are under reporting deaths..

Thing to remember about Germany is the cultural difference vs places like Italy, France, and Spain. Talking with people their daily, the amount of testing they're doing is extremely high so their number of cases seems so high because they're even testing undetected cases and isolating people. Also Germans are more likely to listen to authorities and actually stay home.

Thing to remember about Germany is the cultural difference vs places like Italy, France, and Spain. Talking with people their daily, the amount of testing they're doing is extremely high so their number of cases seems so high because they're even testing undetected cases and isolating people. Also Germans are more likely to listen to authorities and actually stay home.
You're right about the staying at home part. Same with China, they FORCE you to stay home period.

You're right about the staying at home part. Same with China, they FORCE you to stay home period.
Germany has imposed fines, no different than most provinces here in Canada. Just comes down to how cultures view government, state, and authority. I wouldn't call it being forced in the same way it was handled in China.

Haha. Thanks WebMD for this brilliant chart.

4B5ACF10-3A4E-44C8-9000-65DD05BDAC28.png

CBUS represent*

*they may have other labs too...but a main one is in Columbus.
Batelle here is Columbus is also very close to having a sanitization process for masks that they are looking to deploy here locally and to NY, CA, and WA very soon. I believe I read something where Duke University has done something similar to allow them to be reused.

New FDA Approved 15 minutes test - 50,000 per day available starting April 1.

Maybe we can speed up a vaccine based on experience with Sars type viruses.

Feds will be buying more ventilators.

Mississippi??

New FDA Approved 15 minutes test - 50,000 per day available starting April 1.

Maybe we can speed up a vaccine based on experience with Sars type viruses.

Feds will be buying more ventilators.

Mississippi??

That is very good news. Positive results come back in 5 minutes and negative in 15 minutes. My buddies son who tested positive waited 11 days for his results!!

From an article on the test.

The good news for the availability of this test is that ID NOW, the hardware from Abbott that it runs on, already “holds the largest molecular point-of-care footprint in the U.S.,” and is “widely available” across doctor’s offices, urgent care clinics, emergency rooms, and other medical facilities.

In total, Abbott now says that it believes it will produce 5 million tests in April, split between these new rapid tests and the lab tests that it received emergency use authorization for by the FDA on March 18.

That is very good news. Positive results come back in 5 minutes and negative in 15 minutes. My buddies son who tested positive waited 11 days for his results!!

From an article on the test.

The good news for the availability of this test is that ID NOW, the hardware from Abbott that it runs on, already “holds the largest molecular point-of-care footprint in the U.S.,” and is “widely available” across doctor’s offices, urgent care clinics, emergency rooms, and other medical facilities.

In total, Abbott now says that it believes it will produce 5 million tests in April, split between these new rapid tests and the lab tests that it received emergency use authorization for by the FDA on March 18.

Do you think other companies are close to this test as well. And will be approved by the FDA?

So, the city courses sent an email out earlier this week saying they would be closed until sometime in April. They had planned to keep the course in shape so that they'd be ready to return to business as soon as the ban was lifted. I didn't see the email until after the fact, but happened to call the next day to see if they were open. I was told they are open and that if I'd called the day before, I was probably told they were going to be closed, but about an hour after they got the order to close, they were told they could stay open. They have plenty of measures in place, so I'm sure they have it under control.

Darn. Where did you here that?

I got a call from my course yesterday that my Sunday tee time has been cancelled. The Ohio Department of Health has closed all courses as of yesterday.

Do you think other companies are close to this test as well. And will be approved by the FDA?

I do and my hope is we can start testing 10 million people a month and get some people back to work who already have the antibodies and obviously isolate the asymptomatic ones who have it.

I just read several articles that said people who Vape are more vulnerable to COVID-19. It's a big part of why they believe younger people are starting to get it and having to be hospitalized because of it. The damage to lungs from Vaping is still something researchers are learning about, but everything they have found so far is not good.

That's not hard to believe and it wasn't hard to postulate before this all happened. I mean, what rational thinking person would think that vaping is good for anyone?

I do and my hope is we can start testing 10 million people a month and get some people back to work who already have the antibodies and obviously isolate the asymptomatic ones who have it.

This. I'm curious how many people have already had this virus and already possess the antibodies to fight it.

My wife just sent me this.

I’d like to think we could do 10 million a month; that would be a logistical nightmare that I just don’t know how we organize that

Agree. Term limits for all and ine item veto is the only way, but we all know that will never happen unless people demand it but there is too much apathy.

I will vote for a Presidential candidate who has the following in his platform:

15% flat tax with no deductions
put one regulation on the books, you have to take 15 off
Except for a declared war or national emergency, government expenditures cannot exceed 15% of GDP
Except for DoD employees, no goverrnment employee, elected or otherwise, can serve more than 15 years. Employees required to exit the public sector will be given career transition services
No bill and/or law can exceed 15 pages in length, single spaced, maximum 10 point font

I’d like to think we could do 10 million a month; that would be a logistical nightmare that I just don’t know how we organize that

10 million per month is just under 3% of our population. Iceland has already tested 3.8% of their population in just over a month. We can be as good as Iceland especially with all the additional tests/means for testing that are becoming available in the next week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back