What shaft for my 3 wood?

Nate<80

Team Hackers, Morgan Cup 2022
Reaction score
Handicap
11.3 Grint
Currently hitting a Titleist 913 F with the stock Diamana S+ Blue 72 Regular Flex. Not sure of my swing speed with a 3 wood, but with a driver I average 114 mph. I know I need a stiff shaft or possibly an X, but have no clue where to start. I honestly hit this thing pretty well, but have to slow my swing down immensely and I know a R-Flex is not for me. Suggestions?

Currently hitting a Titleist 913 F with the stock Diamana S+ Blue 72 Regular Flex. Not sure of my swing speed with a 3 wood, but with a driver I average 114 mph. I know I need a stiff shaft or possibly an X, but have no clue where to start. I honestly hit this thing pretty well, but have to slow my swing down immensely and I know a R-Flex is not for me. Suggestions?

Same shaft you have but with an S flex. I write this because you already know you like the weight and play characteristics of the Diamana Blue (in the 913F head) and that knowledge is valuable. The fact that you wrote " I honestly hit this thing pretty well" is proof that it's a good shaft for you in that particular head. My opinion is that finding a fairway wood shaft one likes is hard to do, much more so than finding a suitable driver shaft, and with the 913F-Diamana you're already there, just need a bit stiffer flex.

Same shaft you have but with an S flex. I write this because you already know you like the weight and play characteristics of the Diamana Blue (in the 913F head) and that knowledge is valuable. The fact that you wrote " I honestly hit this thing pretty well" is proof that it's a good shaft for you in that particular head. My opinion is that finding a fairway wood shaft one likes is hard to do, much more so than finding a suitable driver shaft, and with the 913F-Diamana you're already there, just need a bit stiffer flex.

Hmm, very interesting. Some great points. Thanks! 🙏

If you're swinging driver 114+ mph, you're 100% in X flex at the bare minimum.

Im not sure I agree it’s that black and white. Generalizations sure, but many a golfer with a smoother transition could be different. Combine that with no industry standard for flex and most generalizations are out the window.

Im not sure I agree it’s that black and white. Generalizations sure, but many a golfer with a smoother transition could be different. Combine that with no industry standard for flex and most generalizations are out the window.

If he was 102-105 I would agree. But regardless of tempo and transition, 114 will be in X 9.99 out of 10 times. If at that speed, we need something that can handle speed. The smoothest 114 mph swing will still require a shaft that can handle that speed. Otherwise we are now giving away stability. He may not require an overly stout X and could be into something that plays “softer”. At that speed, regardless of tempo and transition, the shaft is being put through a lot of torque and will have a massive amount of deflection. We would be sacrificing stability for the occasional good ball where everything timed up perfectly.

If he was 102-105 I would agree. But regardless of tempo and transition, 114 will be in X 9.99 out of 10 times. If at that speed, we need something that can handle speed. The smoothest 114 mph swing will still require a shaft that can handle that speed. Otherwise we are now giving away stability. He may not require an overly stout X and could be into something that plays “softer”. At that speed, regardless of tempo and transition, the shaft is being put through a lot of torque and will have a massive amount of deflection. We would be sacrificing stability for the occasional good ball where everything timed up perfectly.

I think its a safe starting point, but do not agree with the black and white assessment.

To give you an example, Fred Couples did not need an X (nor play one) and was at that speed.
I know our own @Canadan swings that fast in season and can fit into a number of different shafts.
I am not a black and white guy with flex and I really don’t believe too many should be. I think its a great starting point, but so much goes into it, including how the golfer’s body is going to react as shafts change, especially in the handle.

First, please please please do what you can to test/get fit for whatever you end up buying, before you buy it.
Second, Assuming you are 114mph driver swing speed, I’d recommend you START with and X-Flex. That doesn’t mean you’ll end up there, but that should be your starting point.
As for the shaft itself, MCA makes great products with Diamana being one of them. I am traveling at this moment and can’t look up spec/bend profile differences between the R/S/X for that one, but if you want to start with the X flex in that, great, but be open to other options and be sure to try 2 or 3 before buying. Bend profiles can and do change between flexes. Just because you like an R flex when you “slow your swing down immensely” does NOT mean you will like the performance of that shaft in a stiffer flex at full speed.
In short, try and get fit by a trained professional not on a website, even as great as this one is.

I think its a safe starting point, but do not agree with the black and white assessment.

To give you an example, Fred Couples did not need an X (nor play one) and was at that speed.
I know our own @Canadan swings that fast in season and can fit into a number of different shafts.
I am not a black and white guy with flex and I really don’t believe too many should be. I think its a great starting point, but so much goes into it, including how the golfer’s body is going to react as shafts change, especially in the handle.

Using PGA Tour players is never a good example. Fred Couples used to use ladies irons back in the day as well. He is a top tier golfer who has ball striking that most of on this site and many others can only dream of. At any point, they could make basically anything work. Not to mention almost nothing about what he games and has gamed is any indication of what others can or should expect. Any good player can make almost anything "work". Again, at 105 mph swing speed, I would be trying a lot of different shaft profiles and flexes to dial in what is best for that golfer. However, at 115mph, assuming we are getting average output (1.45 and up smash) we would be seeing ball speeds at 166mph and up. There is only so much a player can do to "smooth" a 114mph swing. Over the last two years I've had the privilege of using Gears Golf to truly see what a shaft is doing during the golf swing. At 115mph, the amount of force that is on that shaft is tremendous regardless of how the player swings.

Using PGA Tour players is never a good example. Fred Couples used to use ladies irons back in the day as well. He is a top tier golfer who has ball striking that most of on this site and many others can only dream of. At any point, they could make basically anything work. Not to mention almost nothing about what he games and has gamed is any indication of what others can or should expect. Any good player can make almost anything "work". Again, at 105 mph swing speed, I would be trying a lot of different shaft profiles and flexes to dial in what is best for that golfer. However, at 115mph, assuming we are getting average output (1.45 and up smash) we would be seeing ball speeds at 166mph and up. There is only so much a player can do to "smooth" a 114mph swing. Over the last two years I've had the privilege of using Gears Golf to truly see what a shaft is doing during the golf swing. At 115mph, the amount of force that is on that shaft is tremendous regardless of how the player swings.

@Canadan is not a PGA Tour player, that is why I used someone else that THPers can relate too.
@vgolfman above knows a thing or two about club design and fitting as well : )

Gears is a great system, I too have done it and brought THPers to do it as well at a number of companies. As I mentioned, I believe it is a great starting point, just do not believe its black and white, especially when it comes to lack of standardization.

@Canadan is not a PGA Tour player, that is why I used someone else that THPers can relate too.

Gears is a great system, I too have done it and brought THPers to do it as well at a number of companies. As I mentioned, I believe it is a great starting point, just do not believe its black and white.

I understand there are plenty of good golfers who can make different flexes work. I've seen Mark Crossfield's videos showing that "shaft flex doesn't matter" where he swings ladies flex all the way up to x flex and shows his data at the end. It proves very little other than he is a good golfer who adjusts to make the current club work. Whether he did it consciously or subconsciously, I'm not sure, but he made them work. I would tell anyone that came to me swinging 115mph and was fit into an S flex that I am 99.99% sure we will be changing that to an X, whether it be by building a club with an X flex shaft or tipping an S to play an X.

Gears is a great system, I too have done it and brought THPers to do it as well at a number of companies. As I mentioned, I believe it is a great starting point, just do not believe its black and white, especially when it comes to lack of standardization.

@JB and @Summit I appreciate the respectful banter. Great points to both sides!

First, please please please do what you can to test/get fit for whatever you end up buying, before you buy it.
Second, Assuming you are 114mph driver swing speed, I’d recommend you START with and X-Flex. That doesn’t mean you’ll end up there, but that should be your starting point.
As for the shaft itself, MCA makes great products with Diamana being one of them. I am traveling at this moment and can’t look up spec/bend profile differences between the R/S/X for that one, but if you want to start with the X flex in that, great, but be open to other options and be sure to try 2 or 3 before buying. Bend profiles can and do change between flexes. Just because you like an R flex when you “slow your swing down immensely” does NOT mean you will like the performance of that shaft in a stiffer flex at full speed.
In short, try and get fit by a trained professional not on a website, even as great as this one is.

Thanks @vgolfman, super advice. I have never done a fitting, and I think that is what I need. I am playing S shafts in my irons, S shaft for hybrids, my 3 wood is R flex, and then my driver that I just purchased is an X flex. The X flex has been great in the driver, and I am feeling very comfortable with it. I just feel like my flex should be the same across the board, right?

Thanks @vgolfman, super advice. I have never done a fitting, and I think that is what I need. I am playing S shafts in my irons, S shaft for hybrids, my 3 wood is R flex, and then my driver that I just purchased is an X flex. The X flex has been great in the driver, and I am feeling very comfortable with it. I just feel like my flex should be the same across the board, right?

Not always. Flex doesn't remain constant throughout the bag.

You are welcome. It sounds like an even better starting point then is to take your exact driver shaft and the same shaft about 10 grams heavier, if that is an option, for your 3-wood. Again, start point only but if you are hitting the driver great, Good chance you’ll be close. Get fit!

I understand there are plenty of good golfers who can make different flexes work. I've seen Mark Crossfield's videos showing that "shaft flex doesn't matter" where he swings ladies flex all the way up to x flex and shows his data at the end. It proves very little other than he is a good golfer who adjusts to make the current club work. Whether he did it consciously or subconsciously, I'm not sure, but he made them work. I would tell anyone that came to me swinging 115mph and was fit into an S flex that I am 99.99% sure we will be changing that to an X, whether it be by building a club with an X flex shaft or tipping an S to play an X.

I surely do not believe flex doesn’t matter. I just tend to agree with @vgolfman about starting point vs black and white.

You are welcome. It sounds like an even better starting point then is to take your exact driver shaft and the same shaft about 10 grams heavier, if that is an option, for your 3-wood. Again, start point only but if you are hitting the driver great, Good chance you’ll be close. Get fit!

Cool, that sounds good. Is 10 grams the standard extra on the 3 wood shaft vs driver?

I surely do not believe flex doesn’t matter. I just tend to agree with @vgolfman about starting point vs black and white.

I don't believe it's black and white ALL the time. I do believe it pretty much is in this case with his 3 wood. I would be willing to do the fitting for him, post the results and if he fits into an S flex, I will give him the club/shaft combo at no charge.

[QUOTE="NateGQUOTE]

I would not say standard, but the same weight shaft or about 10 grams heavier are the most common for better/faster players. Again, try for your self.

[QUOTE="NateGQUOTE]

I would not say standard, but the same weight shaft or about 10 grams heavier are the most common for better/faster players. Again, try for your self.

Excellent, I appreciate all of your advice.

I don't believe it's black and white ALL the time. I do believe it pretty much is in this case with his 3 wood. I would be willing to do the fitting for him, post the results and if he fits into an S flex, I will give him the club/shaft combo at no charge.

Just have a different definition of 99.9% and 100% I guess. I was not speaking about the OP, just the black and white flex reference.

@vgolfman is the head of custom fitting for Callaway Golf and seemed to agree. If you are now saying it’s not black and white and only referring to this golfer, cool. Carry on.

Just have a different definition of 99.9% and 100% I guess. I was not speaking about the OP, just the black and white flex reference.

@vgolfman is the head of custom fitting for Callaway Golf and seemed to agree. If you are now saying it’s not black and white and only referring to this golfer, cool. Carry on.

Welp, did not know that is who I was talking to... That's incredible. 🙏

I think there’s a lot more that goes into flex fit than just swing speed, and it’s definitely not universal.

For me? If a shaft is stiff in the wrong places, I swing it horribly until I go to a flex soft enough to accommodate. Stiffer it gets to my brain, the more aggressive I want to load it.

I am saying at 115 mph swing speed, I would be very surprised and cautious if any fitter fit that player into a standard S Flex without tipping it or manipulating flex in any way.

Welp, did not know that is who I was talking to... That's incredible. 🙏

Yes. He was also head of R&D for Adams and Wilson previously. We are humbled to call him a good friend and glad he is here to help THPers.

If you search over some of our THPGolf videos he has a ton of great information in our content

Back