Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
If there is one thing that Robin Arthur, founder of Xcaliber Shafts, has never been afraid of, it is being different. In fact, I’m not sure we have seen someone so willing to dare to be different in this segment, but that is just my take. One such example of this willingness is the impending release of a new iron shaft design which Xcaliber is calling the “Rapid Taper”.

To be frank, there is nothing like this out there, and I do mean nothing. Nor have we ever seen Robin this excited.

Continue reading...

Great write-up James,
This sounds like really interesting tech and great numbers from the shaft. Hopefully in the forum you'll add some top down views at address as I'm curious how that rapid taper profile would look.

Extremely interesting.

Ok that's some crazy deja vu.. gave it a read, must have slipped past a section and I was thinking "wtf what club was this on" then went back and saw it

Great article and really interesting concept, makes quite a bit of sense. Would definitely want to try this out in a driving iron or something as you did

Another outstanding review James. Very intrigued by the information you shared about them and, as a strict graphite user, would love to me able to try them for myself some day.

Holy heck that looks wild and now I’m downright giddy about it. Those number jumps (more on that in the other thread, folks) are reason enough to give these a real try when they come out.

And, I really love how comments on home page reviews automatically get posted in the appropriate forum threads. Another fantastic feature of the significantly upgraded system the forum uses.

I have been very impressed by the xCaliber shafts that I got from JB and put in my Srixon 545s. I am going to order two more to round out the set. My experience with them make me very excited to try this new shaft.

Great write-up James,
This sounds like really interesting tech and great numbers from the shaft. Hopefully in the forum you'll add some top down views at address as I'm curious how that rapid taper profile would look.
5BF0D719-7FAD-4618-9319-44779C3B4539.jpeg

Thanks James for the review. Really excited about this product. As you stated where and how one can get fitted could be problematic. But we THP'ers are resourceful.:cool:

Great article. 5mph is super significant! And, the fact dispersion wasn't a factor is mind blowing. Love a smaller company making great products at competitive prices!

Great review. I'd like to get my hands on that

Great review. Seems like a winner from all angles. Do they have any timeframe for a wood version?

It reminds me of the Taylormade bubble shaft from +/- 2010? What's old is new again! Interesting.

It reminds me of the Taylormade bubble shaft from +/- 2010? What's old is new again! Interesting.
Initial looks are similar, I assure you though closer look and performance these are very different. And I say that as one who has never been afraid to call people out for rehash releases

@Jman is it enough to get people to take a serious look at these or will people write them off as another gimmick? Your data was impressive and surprising!

Last edited:
Great review. @Jman how was it looking down the club for you? I can see from the picture to me it might be a little weird seeing that much taper.

How was dispersion compared to stock shaft?

@Jman is it enough to get people to take a serious look at these or will people write them off as another gimmick? You data was impressive and surprising!
That’s the million dollar question.

Based on the initial reaction and comparison by some to the bubble shaft (which I expected, it’s the easiest similar visual for people to point to) I’m afraid some will lean the way of writing off.

For me, it’s enough that I’m leaving it in my 4U and not touching it. I also saw enough I would enjoy working with a full set, just to see the data throughout.

Great review. @Jman how was it looking down the club for you? I can see from the picture to me it might be a little weird seeing that much taper.
Hasn’t phased me. The first time there’s an “oh wow” moment, but since I don’t stare at my hands during the swing there’s nothing odd about it imo.

Hasn’t phased me. The first time there’s an “oh wow” moment, but since I don’t stare at my hands during the swing there’s nothing odd about it imo.

That makes a lot of sense.

That makes a lot of sense.
Thankfully the taper is up high enough it’s out of the visual at address.

I will say, it does look pretty wild and crazy at first when you pull it from the bag. But, the results...I’m truly impressed.

Thankfully the taper is up high enough it’s out of the visual at address.

I will say, it does look pretty wild and crazy at first when you pull it from the bag. But, the results...I’m truly impressed.
Your photo demonstrates that well...I didn't expect the rapid taper to be so close to the grip and I think it would be easier to get used to than I initially expected

Back