Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

Super intriguing product here. Thanks for the great review James. I would absolutely put them in play if I got an extra 3 mph, especially in the 4 and 5 irons.
Is it safe to say this has a higher kick point than a lot of traditional iron shafts?
If I could answer that and be confident I was entirely accurate, I would, but I’m not sure as it wasn’t in any of the info I got on the RT’s pre review.

I get that from a flex/transition perspective, but there's also swing weight and such beyond just standing up to sheer aggression, yes/no? :) I am curious if 75 is a great fit for everyone, why make 95 and 105? What's the negative on these shafts going heavier vs lighter?

Sincerely,
-Your 4 year old internet golfer with to many questions. :p
Because everyone fits differently and there is no one size fits all iron shaft, or any other shaft, for that matter.

Plus, the mental hurdle for some to play a weight that range is very real, more weight options would help soothe that.

If I could answer that and be confident I was entirely accurate, I would, but I’m not sure as it wasn’t in any of the info I got on the RT’s pre review.
Not a problem. I think this is one of those cases where the results kind of speak for themselves. Very good idea to put this into an adapter James. Makes for some fun comparisons.

Not a problem. I think this is one of those cases where the results kind of speak for themselves. Very good idea to put this into an adapter James. Makes for some fun comparisons.
Yeah. I’m kind of glad I didn’t have a whole lot of spec details other than weight, made it easier to clear my head and just swing, ya know?

Thanks for the great write up James, some very impressive number increases indeed.
When I first saw this, I was curious to see how it actually looked installed in a club (ie: where the taper transition occurred), With your pic of that angle looking down on the assembled club, this shaft doesn't look bad at all nor does it look "gimmicky". With the speed increase and the consistency in dispersion you stated, I would definitely be intrigued to put these in a set and give them a go! Really interested in seeing them with the finished paint on them.

Didn't Wishon Golf offer a fast taper wood shaft some years ago?

Didn't Wishon Golf offer a fast taper wood shaft some years ago?
Not to my recollection. Definitely not like this if they did, the patent that’s been approved kind of addresses that. Others have definitely messed with the taper in the past, I’ve just never seen anything this significant in my years.

Thanks for the great write up James, some very impressive number increases indeed.
When I first saw this, I was curious to see how it actually looked installed in a club (ie: where the taper transition occurred), With your pic of that angle looking down on the assembled club, this shaft doesn't look bad at all nor does it look "gimmicky". With the speed increase and the consistency in dispersion you stated, I would definitely be intrigued to put these in a set and give them a go! Really interested in seeing them with the finished paint on them.
Happy to help dude.

This one has still messed with my head a bit, the numbers don’t lie though, and they’ve been consistent.

This one continues to be fun in the Tec UT.

Won’t lie though, I have thoughts of putting it into the EXS UT if I get my hands on one.

I'm extremely interested in figuring out how the extra ballspeed is being produced

I just cant wrap my head around a 5 mph ballspeed increase unless the head is moving faster and better strike.

Its absolutely fascinating.

I'm extremely interested in figuring out how the extra ballspeed is being produced

I just cant wrap my head around a 5 mph ballspeed increase unless the head is moving faster and better strike.

Its absolutely fascinating.
I can assure you, the swings were the same, and as mentioned I the review I did it twice flipping the order to make sure warm up wasn’t the factor as well.

I know thats why i'm so intrigued on what's causing the ballspeed increase.

I know thats why i'm so intrigued on what's causing the ballspeed increase.
I think the discussion of the design being based around how a bullwhip is shaped and works is pretty accurate.

“Game changer” probably gets overused but this design may fit that phrase perfectly... so intriguing

Not to my recollection. Definitely not like this if they did, the patent that’s been approved kind of addresses that. Others have definitely messed with the taper in the past, I’ve just never seen anything this significant in my years.

there was an aldila (I think) shaft some ten years ago that was similar. But yet probably still very different.

It tapered so hard in transition that it almost had a step. I am racking my brain to try and remember the name. It was a black and silver shaft.

I will think of it... maybe.

I think the discussion of the design being based around how a bullwhip is shaped and works is pretty accurate.
I'm still blown away by the increase.. By the bull whip shaping do you feel you are timing it up / releasing the energy through the ball better?

Hey Folks!
A few comments here...
The one thing we haven't noticed in all our player testing is that no ne has had to "time" their release at all. That would entail a specific swing profile to make these Kats works...nyet. During testing I haven't mentioned anything nor given any advice/instructions prior to hitting the irons (hell that'd defeat the purpose of testing now wouldn't it....). I've never even mentioned the geometry...but that was picked up on pretty darn quickly of course. My only "intruction" had been...."hit the damn thing and tell me what you think"...and 90% of the time...it took one hit. The RT irons are not a gimmick. As a matter of fact, I'm submitting 2 additional patents on the effects of this particular geometry (ies) on conservation of energy/angular acceleration....or...."an observed increase in clubbed speed without a golfer changing their swing".

Now I know Popeye had another thread input elsewhere but...I already have a 95 gram version ready to go as well (85 and 105 late summer). I preliminary testing, Popeye thinks the 95 gm version is even better than the 75 grammar. Simple reason methinks...it's heavier and he's a very strong Kat so that almost ounce of additional weight has a different "heft"...an upper masters, advanced engineering term....for swinging a hammer...;)...

Finally, my frustration has obviously been with the delivery/C-19. Most folks think that all the factories in China are humming along at 100%...and that's not true. A big majority of the factories are still at 50% which means they're having problems with their suppliers as well. SO, I'm thinking we still have 30-45 days until I can start shipping all the Xclusiv shafts including the RT irons. Sorry...

Continued wonderful health to ALL!!!
R

Hey Folks!
A few comments here...
The one thing we haven't noticed in all our player testing is that no ne has had to "time" their release at all. That would entail a specific swing profile to make these Kats works...nyet. During testing I haven't mentioned anything nor given any advice/instructions prior to hitting the irons (hell that'd defeat the purpose of testing now wouldn't it....). I've never even mentioned the geometry...but that was picked up on pretty darn quickly of course. My only "intruction" had been...."hit the damn thing and tell me what you think"...and 90% of the time...it took one hit. The RT irons are not a gimmick. As a matter of fact, I'm submitting 2 additional patents on the effects of this particular geometry (ies) on conservation of energy/angular acceleration....or...."an observed increase in clubbed speed without a golfer changing their swing".

Now I know Popeye had another thread input elsewhere but...I already have a 95 gram version ready to go as well (85 and 105 late summer). I preliminary testing, Popeye thinks the 95 gm version is even better than the 75 grammar. Simple reason methinks...it's heavier and he's a very strong Kat so that almost ounce of additional weight has a different "heft"...an upper masters, advanced engineering term....for swinging a hammer...;)...

Finally, my frustration has obviously been with the delivery/C-19. Most folks think that all the factories in China are humming along at 100%...and that's not true. A big majority of the factories are still at 50% which means they're having problems with their suppliers as well. SO, I'm thinking we still have 30-45 days until I can start shipping all the Xclusiv shafts including the RT irons. Sorry...

R
I'm sure I'm one of many very interested in those 95 and 105g versions! :cool:

Hey Folks!
A few comments here...

R
Thanks for the update Robin, and please keep us in the loop. When the 95 and 105 hit, I’m definitely going to hit you all up about buying a set.

I’m really excited to hear about the 95g version that I believe they’ll be releasing soonish. The 75g in the 4U continues to be a lot of fun, but a little more weight could be really good for me.

Looks like I’ll be getting three 95g shafts in for review. One will clearly go into the 4U I tested this version in, the other two likely a 6i/7i and a 9i

Looks like I’ll have the 95’s in tomorrow, hope to have installed by Thursday to get some initial feedback.

Great article and responses! I have this companies shafts in my driver and hybrids and they are without doubt the best shafts out there. Look forward To. Trying these new iron shafts. Knowing this company they will be great

Great article and responses! I have this companies shafts in my driver and hybrids and they are without doubt the best shafts out there. Look forward To. Trying these new iron shafts. Knowing this company they will be great
Appreciate the read!

Back