ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Yes yes yes 1,000 times YES.

And the Adams Blue TM ******** was the worst way ever for a brand to go out with a whimper.

Hell, the PNT hybrid is still LEGENDARY.

• Staff
Yes yes yes 1,000 times YES.

And the Adams Blue TM ******** was the worst way ever for a brand to go out with a whimper.

Hell, the PNT hybrid is still LEGENDARY.

lol and they tried to pass that driver off as being exciting. Now the Red hybrid, that was kind of cool.

lol and they tried to pass that driver off as being exciting. Now the Red hybrid, that was kind of cool.
Hey, TM got a few to drink the kool aid.

I think so. Their Tight Lies line was solid.

I 100% believe they were underappreciated. Honestly, they set the bar for hybrids. Their other products were fantastic. I think they kind of suffered from being viewed as a hybrid company. And the box sets too. They had a large Champions Tour presence. I also think they were viewed as an old persons brand.

I think it couldn't have been further from the truth. They were rocking it and I think if they hadn't sold to TM, they really could have hit the next level. I don't know if their issues were in the marketing realm. All I know is it was painful to watch a brand I liked so much get sold and die a slow painful death.

I remember thinking some of their products were incredible, but I never REALLY got into their products before it was too late.

Such a shame too.

I 100% believe they were underappreciated. Honestly, they set the bar for hybrids. Their other products were fantastic. I think they kind of suffered from being viewed as a hybrid company. And the box sets too. They had a large Champions Tour presence. I also think they were viewed as an old persons brand.

I think it couldn't have been further from the truth. They were rocking it and I think if they hadn't sold to TM, they really could have hit the next level. I don't know if their issues were in the marketing realm. All I know is it was painful to watch a brand I liked so much get sold and die a slow painful death.

Didn't Watson play them for a long time?

• Staff
I played the original tight lies fwy wood, 5 wood and 7 wood. The only difficulty was in fluffy lies in the rough. Guess that is why they were called tight lies. lol

Didn't Watson play them for a long time?
He did. I think they had Bads on their PGA staff and Chad Campbell as well. They had some pretty cool one offs for Campbell through the years too.

He did. I think they had Bads on their PGA staff and Chad Campbell as well. They had some pretty cool one offs for Campbell through the years too.

I'd think Watson would be a good image for them, but what do I know.

I'd think Watson would be a good image for them, but what do I know.
Yeah, I don't disagree. But, at that time, he was a senior player. I think they needed more exposure from the younger crowd as well.

I still have a strong 3 wood from them if anyone wants it. I could hit it well in my youth, but somehow my youth has left me. It works best on plush fairways.

I really liked Adams. Their fairways and drivers worked really well for me. Was really upset with TM how they killed off the brand.

I think so. Though I didn't spend much time with them. Given the performance and price, it's hard to believe where a certain company took them.

They were well known for the hybrid collection and incorporating mixed sets. I was just getting into golf so not sure the other offerings, but Hybrids comes to mind.

I owned a couple of their clubs.Loved my Puglielli wedge. Wanted the irons JMan is thinking about putting a shaft to. They had some really good stuff. I read Barney's book but dont remember learning anything that spoke to why it fell apart. Seemed like back then the TM/Cally arms race might have hurt other brands or at least kept them from being noticed.Above all I never though they had a great driver and without a great driver it is hard to get noticed.

I share the same thoughts.

Absolutely were.

I owned a couple of their clubs.Loved my Puglielli wedge. Wanted the irons JMan is thinking about putting a shaft to. They had some really good stuff. I read Barney's book but dont remember learning anything that spoke to why it fell apart. Seemed like back then the TM/Cally arms race might have hurt other brands or at least kept them from being noticed.Above all I never though they had a great driver and without a great driver it is hard to get noticed.

That’s a good point about driver. I thought Adams had some real solid ones. The 9015D is a cult classic, but was unforgiving for the masses. I gamed an XTD for a while and it was good, but unspectacular.

Oh the Adams Speedline 3w. The speed slot, the sound, favorite club ever.

Yes, yes, yes. I still have a hybrid that I love and I still have a set of the CB3 Black irons that I love.

Yes, I think Adams did so many awesome things, and changed thinking on what club design could be. Didn't always work, but a different point of view can help things quite a bit.

I honestly think I could go build a full adams bag right now and I would not notice a discernible drop off in performance.

Back