Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Now it’s a year of hearing freaky deaky Mavriky
Lol

I thought for sure the Sz X would end up being shorter but straighter for him. Surprised the Mav actually ended up straighter too.
The Mav standard is really forgiving in it's own right. I don't know enough about the Cobra product to say I would expect any more forgiveness out of it. It is also worth noting that in the video they explain that they only count shots that found the fairway. Not sure how they would stack up with no deleted shots. Either way, he was murdering that thing.

Big fan of TXG and have to admit those number by the Mavrik in the final were just ridiculous!

The best part after the final was that Ian felt that he could squeeze out something more for Matt with the setup.
Will be looking forward to that for sure.

You and me both. 361on an 85% optimized driver setup is nuts.

The Mav standard is really forgiving in it's own right. I don't know enough about the Cobra product to say I would expect any more forgiveness out of it. It is also worth noting that in the video they explain that they only count shots that found the fairway. Not sure how they would stack up with no deleted shots. Either way, he was murdering that thing.
I thought it was great for their viewers when they started posting that in the videos. I don't think many realized they're basically eliminating half of Matty's shots to get their final numbers.

On a personal Mavrik note - I had the Sub Zero working on a kryptonite windy day today. Hit 12/14 fairways and averaged 282, which is a big number for me. Think I finally settled on the setup I'm going with.

I don't know if anyone follows TXG and their driver bracket they did this month. I know Matt isn't exactly putting up average golfer like numbers. But, it has been pretty fun to watch the Mavrik driver make a run through the bracket. He hits this thing a ton. Anyways, it won the bracket going up against the Cobra Speed Zone Xtreme.
And imagine how much more advantage the average golfer, who doesn't always hit the sweet spot, gets. Dude like that who hits the center of the face every time can make any driver work!

I'm still stunned at how long and straight misses on the toe fly. I hit one waaayyy out on the toe the other day that really felt bad, and was amazed that it barely missed the fairway and was only about 30 yards shorter than a good drive. In the middle of my "Aaaaaarrrrgghhhh!!!", my partner was saying "Good ball!"

Last edited:
Went all black, 9* sub zero. I was toying with it for the last 3 weeks, I just couldn't get over how easy it was to launch, and for me it was the straightest Mavrik driver. Can't wait to get this on the course!
That looks goooooooood!

I hit a 293 yard drive with the Max on Monday (measured by GPS). Granted, it was slightly wind-aided, hit the speed slot in the fairway and got a nice rollout - but for me that was a booming drive, one of my longest ever.

Invested in a weight kit to dial in my MavSZ. Gonna go heavier and try some different combos.

Think maybe I need to use the quarantine/shelter time to go a Mav vs Mav Max article like I did the 785:585 last year......:unsure:

I tell you what. We got 7" of snow last night. Golf courses in MN aren't able to open. All I want to do is hit this club. I can't even get in to the limited indoor options around here. It has been almost 4 months since I saw this thing in action on a real golf course. I feel a little guilty that I am not able to add much to the conversation on it at the moment.

So, I have a request for those of you that are currently able to get this in play. Help me scratch my itch as I sit here dreading having to fire up the snowblower in April. Tell me some of your thoughts on this club. What characteristic have you found is an improvement over what you were playing previously? Is it the shape, the sound, a certain ball flight tendency? What is your favorite characteristic of the club?

For me, I came from the Epic Flash SZ. I found that the Mavrik Standard isn't as fade biased and cuts through the air differently during the swing. The cyclone shape on the rear of the club seems to have some merit to it. The sound is obviously different in a very good way. A lot more muted. I think my favorite characteristic is the shape of it. It just looks great behind the ball.

Used Arccos for the first time yesterday and it seems the Mav SZ is doing quite well. 7773A207-D2CA-4189-934C-CBBEAC274F3F.png

Still contemplating that. I wish I would have had a Ping club in my possession when they were giving them away :D
It didn’t work as well as I had hoped and the hybrid sensor doesn’t work at all but it’s nice to have stats during a round.

I hit the Max and the Mav a lot yesterday, and the Max is great, but I think the standard is being slept on.

Once I stop being sore, I need to get somw data for you all.

I hit the Max and the Mav a lot yesterday, and the Max is great, but I think the standard is being slept on.

Did you ever have a chance to hit the SZ? Or did I miss that info somewhere

The Max is getting a lot of love. Rightfully so. But, the standard is just such an interesting product to me. The forgiveness it provides without having to have so much weight low and back. Giving them the opportunity to utilize the aerodynamic design.

The Max is getting a lot of love. Rightfully so. But, the standard is just such an interesting product to me. The forgiveness it provides without having to have so much weight low and back. Giving them the opportunity to utilize the aerodynamic design.

Im seeing about 2-3 mph more ball speed from
he std so far. Curious to see if that holds up in a multi swing data set average wise.

he std so far. Curious to see if that holds up in a multi swing data set average wise.
Using GC2 correct? Think that it is an increase in SS resulting in the increased ball speed?

Using GC2 correct? Think that it is an increase in SS resulting in the increased ball speed?
It’d have to be, impact locations were very close, same shaft, same length, same swing weight too.

It'll be interesting to see the data. When I tested some of the new offerings, Mav standard was faster for me by a couple mph.

It’d have to be, impact locations were very close, same shaft, same length, same swing weight too.
In this day and age, 2-3mph is pretty significant. Looking forward to the data.

I tell you what. We got 7" of snow last night. Golf courses in MN aren't able to open. All I want to do is hit this club. I can't even get in to the limited indoor options around here. It has been almost 4 months since I saw this thing in action on a real golf course. I feel a little guilty that I am not able to add much to the conversation on it at the moment.

So, I have a request for those of you that are currently able to get this in play. Help me scratch my itch as I sit here dreading having to fire up the snowblower in April. Tell me some of your thoughts on this club. What characteristic have you found is an improvement over what you were playing previously? Is it the shape, the sound, a certain ball flight tendency? What is your favorite characteristic of the club?

For me, I came from the Epic Flash SZ. I found that the Mavrik Standard isn't as fade biased and cuts through the air differently during the swing. The cyclone shape on the rear of the club seems to have some merit to it. The sound is obviously different in a very good way. A lot more muted. I think my favorite characteristic is the shape of it. It just looks great behind the ball.

I feel you on the weather right now. I'd be hitting my new standard 9 today but it's only 24 and the ice from yesterday won't melt in that.
Looks to be warmer but windy tomorrow so I'm going to try to put it up against my Sub Zero (which is pretty dialed in) tomorrow on the range and get some data. I was both faster and longer with the standard in my initial testing back at the beginning of the year, but chose the SZ on workability within my swing. Really excited to see a more current comparison after working on a couple little swing changes.

You mentioned a fade bias with the EF SZ. That perceived bias is part of what I liked about it, and part of why I chose the Sub Zero this time around. I had a hard time working the standard to the right (compared to the SZ) when I had my hands on it in January. I think it should be a little easier for me now, and if I'm still faster with it, it should be pretty exciting. I preferred the sound of the standard too (in bay), and no one around here has had one on course this year, so I'm excited to actually hear them together outdoor.

I've now played 4 rounds with my new Mavrik (std version) and am getting used to being a consistent 15-25 yards past where I'd expect whenever I miss one a little. Got the exact high draw on a perfect line that I was looking for on the longest par 4 on the course yesterday. Was trying to take advantage of some quartering tail wind and potential speed slot on that converted par 5. Almost broke into a dance when I got to my ball and GPS watch registered that drive as 292 and sitting dead center. This old man rarely ever sniffs distances like that, especially when it's 50 some degrees out.

Last edited:
20200403_121504.jpg
Weather is warming, and it doesn't look like tomorrow will work, so seize the day on the comparison of my new Standard to my Sub Zero I guess. See show many good swings I can muster in a short period of time.

Had to change one grip, and make a crap-ton of notes on weight combinations to make it a truly fair fight without actually bringing a scale. Straight shaft swapping just didn't match up. Honestly, it's going to be a lot more fair than when I first hit them a few months ago.

Last edited:
Well I'm swinging like a REALLYoldandstiff guy today, but a lot of what I saw and felt originally is holding true.

Spin is pretty neck and neck through 4 combinations, speeds and distance slightly higher with the standard when things go well, efficiency and dispersion better with the the Sub zero.

Standard still sounds way better.

I'm going to turn the standard down to 8 to open it up on the next pairing to see if that toe/lie is getting in my head. I play a couple flat, and I didn't remember it being this upright. I know I saw it mentioned in a video recently, but I didn't have an actual recollection of that. The difference is kind of intense.

Back