Third Best Golfer Ever?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Most make the case that Jack and Tiger are the two best ever and argue constantly about which is on top. Not as often discussed is who is next on the list? So many thoughts, who do you have and why?

This is a great question. My answer would be Arnold Palmer. I think as a golfer he and Hogan are right on par with each other, but his showmanship and flair really made golf popular on a much bigger stage. He is responsible for the concept of 4 majors and was the person who finalized which 4 we would all think of as majors forever more. Give me Arnie and his army by a slim margin over Hogan.

I'm going to say Player. 9 Majors, career Grand Slam and did it all with Jack in his prime.

With Hogan nearly killed in the prime of his career and he also served in the military so it's hard to say where he would've wound up with wins/majors. But OP didn't ask about what if's. Arnie was a pioneer in more ways than one as highlighted above, he gets my vote and it's not even close.

Can I go with @chefkritter? I mean “Golf Jesus” needs to be in this conversation :p

I think Player get the 3rd slot. 163 worldwide wins with 9 majors goes a long way.

Just a complete guess but I’m going with Sam Snead

Palmer for me, with Hogan right on his heels

First one to pop to mind was Gary Player. Tons of worldwide wins including 9 Majors.

Arnold changed the game. He also changed sports with his marketing.

Snead. The dude knew how to win.

Arnold changed the game. He also changed sports with his marketing.

I had a feeling this sentiment would be there, but I would argue if the marketing and changing the sport was criteria, Nicklaus wouldn't even be in the discussion with Woods. IN fact he might have not finished in the top 3-4, right?

Probably Hogan. Player is #4. Hal Sutton #5.

I would have to say Sam Snead would be the third best of all time. It's a close race, I would also put Hogan, Palmer and Player right on his heels.

Woods
Nicklaus

Hogan- there’s a good chance he’s the greatest if the car accident doesn’t happen. With the wins he had over a stretch of time and the tournaments missed, there’s a great chance and realistically speaking it probably happens.

Hagen
Jones
Snead
Palmer
Nelson
Watson
Player

I had a feeling this sentiment would be there, but I would argue if the marketing and changing the sport was criteria, Nicklaus wouldn't even be in the discussion with Woods. IN fact he might have not finished in the top 3-4, right?
I honestly have no idea on how Nicklaus golden bear clubs did, did they even sell? Were they a thing? I rarely see people wear the clothes. So yeah to me, he’s 5-10 range if marketing is in the discussion.

Ben Hogan. Then Snead and Palmer.

I like that order. All were amazing in their day but if I think of which of the greats could dominate in any era, those are my three.

Hard not to argue Palmer for me. Less years to get to the number he did vs others around the same wins, and did it in arguably a much harder era of golf.

It isn’t everything but it is a part in consideration. Jack is still #2 in my books.

Palmer, I think, is the most important. I’m not sure there is a reasonable argument him or for anyone else close to him.

Last edited:
Back