Backyard Hitting Setup

aljaklaw

bobo
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
tequila
Let's see yours!

Looks like no significant rainfall for a week here, so I finally decided to set up the hitting nets in the backyard. I'm using real balls as well as Almost Golf hard foam lightweight balls.

Half-dome net is a basic brand from Walmart. Square net is a Callaway-branded IZZO net. SKLZ ground accessories.

IMG_20200407_192927.jpg

Mine isnt out yet, but will look like this once it is up. Hank Haney Net (which is a massive pain), and a Callaway hitting mat.
20190420_132337.jpg

Now if the snow would melt, and the water would dry up, I could do something outside.

I’ll have to try to follow up tomorrow as it’s dark now.

@aljaklaw preference between the two?
the IZZO is easier to put up and is taller, but is also less stable. it does have some tie-downs included beyond the standard stakes

also the bottom, the IZZO net is attached at the bottom and self-contains, unlike the Walmart special

SKLZ ground accessories.
I have the same SKLZ mat that's in front of the Callaway net. How is it holding up (better than mine, it appears)? Edges on the 'fairway' side are fraying, and one corner is missing all the fibers.

I used to setup a Blue tarp and I bought a mat. Sometimes it helps just to get a few swings in.
I used to send my daughters into the woods for the ones that missed the tarp.

16A8C8BB-32F4-4079-AA39-66B9CCAB2444.jpeg

My net arrives April 22nd:cry:

I had my stuff in storage since retiring to Vancouver Island. But it's turning out to be really useful now. 7 foot SKLZ net which is a bit of a pain to put up and down but I'm just leaving it for now, and a Fiberbuilt mat that I paid a small fortune for when I got the golf bug a few years back and only had a 5 month golf season (in Alberta). I set this up a few days ago to do some practice and am finding looking at a video of my swing on my phone is probably one of the best things I have done to work on my many faults. I can hit every club full force with real balls with this setup.
20200404_165104.jpg

Last edited:
Similar to mine atm. Will need a higher net later on and may try to build something myself.
Yeah I can’t hit anything over a 9 iron unless it’s just chipping.

I have the same SKLZ mat that's in front of the Callaway net. How is it holding up (better than mine, it appears)? Edges on the 'fairway' side are fraying, and one corner is missing all the fibers.
I don't use it much, but I don't expect it to hold up like a proper mat

Waiting for my net from Rukket. Can you get a good feel for how you are hitting with the practice balls?

Out practicing today.

20200411_155110.jpg

Mine isnt out yet, but will look like this once it is up. Hank Haney Net (which is a massive pain), and a Callaway hitting mat.
View attachment 8936254

Now if the snow would melt, and the water would dry up, I could do something outside.
Is that a baby monitor?

which net is that again?
Nova Microdermabrasion Large 10x7ft Portable Golf Net Hitting Net Practice Driving Indoor Outdoor w/Carry Bag

there are actually a couple just like it for the same price. I think they are made by the same company.

which net is that again?
Here is another one. Summates Golf Net,Sports Net,Practice Net,121L X 82H X 36W inches

had some gusts roll through and collapse the half dome, so I rigged up a guy line with an improvised truckers hitch w/ quick release toggle

tied to a 4x4 but a quality ground stake will also work

IMG_20200411_201639.jpg

I had my stuff in storage since retiring to Vancouver Island. But it's turning out to be really useful now. 7 foot SKLZ net which is a bit of a pain to put up and down but I'm just leaving it for now, and a Fiberbuilt mat that I paid a small fortune for when I got the golf bug a few years back and only had a 5 month golf season (in Alberta). I set this up a few days ago to do some practice and am finding looking at a video of my swing on my phone is probably one of the best things I have done to work on my many faults. I can hit every club full force with real balls with this setup.
View attachment 8936335

I just looked up the new version of your hitting mat. I really like the design with all the options to put alignment and training sticks. How does this one feel on your wrists?

Some nice set ups! Anyone use a hitting net with Birdie Balls?

Waiting for my net from Rukket. Can you get a good feel for how you are hitting with the practice balls?

chipping they are nice to bang around the house. fun stopping them on a hardwood floor on a dime. Outside, there needs to be no wind. and they balloon up very easily. I just got my Haack yesterday and set ip up briefly today. Its going to be a nice addition to the practice routine.

Just ordered a net yesterday, in search of a mat that won't break the bank. Prefer one I stand on vs small ones that go flying at impact. Any suggestions/sources?

Back