Review Tour Edge EXS 220 Fairway Wood Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
When you talk fairway woods, you have to talk Tour Edge and their Exotics lineup. The EXS offerings last year were a massive boon for the company, and they are looking to build on that with the new EXS 220 offerings. In regard to fairway woods, you are talking a lot of tech, and a tidy $249.99 price point. Since I’m sure that caught your attention, let’s dive in, shall we?

1-14.jpg

Quick Take

A solid offering, though perhaps not the star of the 220
metalwoods lineup. Offers solid ball speeds, playable spin numbers, ample
launch, and a whole lot of wanting to keep the ball in play. Combine that with
a sole that really does glide across the turf and this may not be the longest
fairway on the market, but it is among the most...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Staff
Really eager to spend some time with this one post review now. CB shafts and in don’t get along great, and while I didn’t see my higher ball speeds I think it was a fit thing more than anything else.

Nice Review @Jman - So has TEE manged to really differentiated their Fairway line with the CB being for "Faster" EXS 220 for "Fast" and HL4's for "Slower" swing speeds?

I get the impression from your review that the EXS 220 may not be a"Better Players Club" with the Higher Launch and Forgiveness as BP are usually a Middle of the Face kind of golfers.

• Staff
Nice Review @Jman - So has TEE manged to really differentiated their Fairway line with the CB being for "Faster" EXS 220 for "Fast" and HL4's for "Slower" swing speeds?

I get the impression from your review that the EXS 220 may not be a"Better Players Club" with the Higher Launch and Forgiveness as BP are usually a Middle of the Face kind of golfers.
I don’t know that I’d go that far, but it do think the delimitation between the CBX and EXS lines are clear now.

I think a lot of skill sets can play this one, and I watched some across the spectrum hit it and do just that. For me personally, a CB setup just isn’t usually my friend. It’s still easy off the deck and has an emphasis on overall playability. I’m going to tinker some more to see what I can accomplish speed wise.

Great write up @Jman!

• Staff
I have enjoyed Tour Edge products and feel they have been under rated. Really good article

@Jman Do you think it was the CB that was affecting the launch?

• Staff
In what way do you mean?

In the review you said that the EXS was higher launching compared to other fairways you’ve tried.

However, When I played the HZRDUS Yellow in other fairway woods, I have found the counterbalanced nature of that shaft seemed to increase my launch angles. I know it is supposed to be a low launch shaft but it just didn’t happen that way for me. Just wondered if it possibly affected you in the same way.

In the review you said that the EXS was higher launching compared to other fairways you’ve tried.

However, When I played the HZRDUS Yellow in other fairway woods, I have found the counterbalanced nature of that shaft seemed to increase my launch angles. I know it is supposed to be a low launch shaft but it just didn’t happen that way for me. Just wondered if it possibly affected you in the same way.
Gotcha. I don’t know. My contact wasn’t the most consistent and to be honest that’s what I is usually see with CB. That said, I’d take that launch and peak out of a 3w any day if I could get the speed up. Which again, I think was/is on me more than anything, so I’m eager to tinker around with the setup a bit soon.

just out of curiosity what kind of swing speed did you have that produced the 233 yards?
nice write up!

Good write up... did I miss the handed-ness for the lofts available? Are lefties left behind again?:oops:

just out of curiosity what kind of swing speed did you have that produced the 233 yards?
nice write up!
I don’t worry about swing speeds, just the ball speeds. Sorry!

Good write up... did I miss the handed-ness for the lofts available? Are lefties left behind again?:oops:
I believe they’re RH only at this time, sorry buddy.

Thanks, Jman.

Looking forward to your impressions and data when you install your shaft.

Thanks, Jman.

Looking forward to your impressions and data when you install your shaft.
Thanks Desmond, it should be fun.

I don’t worry about swing speeds, just the ball speeds. Sorry!
i guess i was just curious with a lot of people looking at swing speeds and what they might expect or could potentially have in distance, i get it though, a lot of average golfers like myself are looking at clubs of any brand and with tour edge geared towards anyone, some swing speeds may be a factor. again thanks for the review!

i guess i was just curious with a lot of people looking at swing speeds and what they might expect or could potentially have in distance, i get it though, a lot of average golfers like myself are looking at clubs of any brand and with tour edge geared towards anyone, some swing speeds may be a factor. again thanks for the review!
Ball speed will tell that same story though, because swing speeds can vary so much the speed off the face is, in my opinion, the more important indicator of a club. For me, it was a little lower than I expected, but my contact wasn’t super....thrilling....compared to my standards. But, I do believe fit of shaft setup might have been the thing there for me.

I believe they’re RH only at this time, sorry buddy.
It's no biggie. I'm used to it... at least there are clubs out there for us lefties... which explains maybe the TEEm choices for right handed only.

Read this last night James. Well done once again! I know all won’t like this, but for me a little bit of a higher spin profile off 3 wood is a good thing. A lot of positives here.

Where do you think this sits in terms of ball speed?

Read this last night James. Well done once again! I know all won’t like this, but for me a little bit of a higher spin profile off 3 wood is a good thing. A lot of positives here.

Where do you think this sits in terms of ball speed?
I’m the same way, I don’t really want a super low spinner in that spot since I’ll hit it into greens time to time.

It’s solid. Its more ball speed capable than I think I showed in this review coming off injury.

It's no biggie. I'm used to it... at least there are clubs out there for us lefties... which explains maybe the TEEm choices for right handed only.
I’m honestly a little surprised that the 15 isn’t offered in LH.

Lovin' the write up @Jman - Thinking about this or a CPO Epic Flash for a replacement 3w - any comparison between the two?

Back